Skies of Arcadia vs Tales of Symphonia vs Xenoblade Chronicles

#21nonexistingheroPosted 7/23/2014 8:14:35 AM
Flare7 posted...
Yeah, that's it. People couldn't possibly have a different opinion than you. They're trolling, duh!

On topic, Symphonia. Xenoblade and SoA are average.

And you're one of those trolls, it seems. Fact is, there's a lot of trolls on this board who hate on Xenoblade. And no, they're not trolls because they have a different opinion and don't like the game. They're trolls because they jump at every single opportunity to claim that the game is "objectively average/bad/terrible".
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#22iKhanicPosted 7/23/2014 8:16:51 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
iKhanic posted...
vermilion99 posted...
Tales of Symphonia

I love Xenoblade, but I've never played that has managed to strike such a perfect balance between linear and non-linear gameplay as Symphonia did. ToS has it's flaws yes, but I think as a whole it's as perfect as a game can get.

ToS is pretty linear and it pretty much requires you to follow a guide if you want everything, because you have a very short window to do most sidequests. The Tales franchise as a whole is terrible in this regard and it doesn't shy away to let players redo the entire game if they miss something simply because they didn't talk to a certain someone somewhere in the world at a certain time.

Xenoblade pretty much lets you decide your own pacing and you can't miss anything important. Though it does take a while before the story gets going after the initial big events.

I'm not talking about the sidequests. ToS has several opportunities to sequence break throughout the whole game. In Xenoblade, as fun as it is, every main plot point is in a set order, so exploration really isn't a mandatory part of the experience.

In ToS, you are often presented with a wide open area to explore that has multiple mandatory objectives. You may have only been told about one, but if you walk into another location you find you can trigger something might have not had to do until later.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#23Flare7Posted 7/23/2014 8:19:11 AM
Flare7 posted...
Yeah, that's it. People couldn't possibly have a different opinion than you. They're trolling, duh!

On topic, Symphonia. Xenoblade and SoA are average.

And you're one of those trolls, it seems. Fact is, there's a lot of trolls on this board who hate on Xenoblade. And no, they're not trolls because they have a different opinion and don't like the game. They're trolls because they jump at every single opportunity to claim that the game is "objectively average/bad/terrible".

Again, just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean they're trolling. What an absurd level of narcissism.
#24dudupupuPosted 7/23/2014 8:22:47 AM
Wow. Tales of Symphonia was good, but not even close to Skies of Arcadia!!!

Also, it makes me sad to see so many people mention Xenoblade but not Xenosaga as a classic :(
---
Proud follower of Christ!
3DS: Name: SwuglyBear, FC: 5429-7287-4928
#25X_Ste_90_XPosted 7/23/2014 8:27:30 AM
EndOfDiscOne posted...
Xenoblade > Skies of Arcadia >>>>> Tales of Symphonia

ToS is a good game, but the other two are my favorite RPGS of all time

I would imagine that more people have played ToS than the other two games which is why it's in the lead

It's probably in the lead because of anti-Xenoblade trolls voting against it. It's a very good game, but I'd say it's the 2nd best Tales game after Vesperia. Anyway, I voted Xenoblade. Skies of Arcadia is great, but it's rather slow, even for 3D turn-based JRPG standards. I do consider it to be a bit better than Tales of Symponia though.

I hope you are joking, I'm not denying that there are trolls out there that will bad mouth Xenoblade, but equally there are fanboys that refuse to see it as anything but the second coming. There are probably a similar amount of people that would in theory hate on Symphonia because it was very recently re-released on Sony platforms.

ToS is a great game, no need for anyone to feel butthurt over Xenoblade coming close second to it.
---
Currently Playing- Transistor- PS4, Child of Light- PS4, SOTC HD- PS3, DBZ Budokai HD- PS3.
Currently Awaiting- Destiny- PS4, Diablo 3- PS4
#26snake_5036Posted 7/23/2014 8:30:07 AM
you have a very short window to do most sidequests.

This is terribly false. The only sidequests that disappear are if you choose one character over another (Which nobody playing the first time will since they don't know about affection yet and therefore would have no reason to choose any option other than Colette boosters) or ones that boost affection for characters. Nearly all sidequests can be done endgame. There's also a skeleton enemy that can be avoided, but it's hard to do that considering he is put in your way for all encounters except the final one.
---
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady.
#27Dark_guyverPosted 7/23/2014 8:41:24 AM
XC>ToS>SoA
---
NNID: deadly_force_01
#28KungFuPhilPosted 7/23/2014 9:04:50 AM
I haven't played too much of SoA, but what I played was a ton of fun. Unfortunately, I still think XC comes out slightly ahead. XC was a game that I would play hours on end and not realize it.

The amount of content in XC is mind-numbingly awesome. The fact that I spent my first 10 hours of the game in a single town, and I still wanted to go back to finish more stuff, really speaks for itself. The combat system is fun, fast paced and rewarding. The story is entertaining and I was immediately hooked into it.

Tales of Symphonia has an amazing battle system, but that's about as far as I'll go. I wasn't a huge fan of the story, it felt like it had a little too many JRPG tropes. Some of the storyline quests annoyed me because it required immediate back-tracking. If I remember correctly, there is a point in the story where you have to walk from a town to a mountain, back and fourth, about two-or-three times. I didn't think ToS was bad by any means, but outside of the great combat system, there wasn't much that appealed to me.
---
PSN: Moar_Shtick
#29Arcturus1121Posted 7/23/2014 9:05:48 AM
Other: Baten Kaitos.

I'm only joking, I choose Skies because I love that game, the most...I still love all 3. But with these three games it reminded me of Baten Kaitos for some reason.
---
[l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l][l]
#30TerotrousPosted 7/23/2014 9:07:25 AM
Xenoblade definitely wins. Skies of Arcadia is a solid traditional JRPG, but I'd still take CT over it. Symphonia is nowhere near the best Tales game anymore, its mechanics are significantly bettered by every Tales game after it. Xenoblade is one of the only RPGs I think can compare decently against Chrono Trigger.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly