Skies of Arcadia vs Tales of Symphonia vs Xenoblade Chronicles

#41LePhenomPosted 7/23/2014 6:25:24 PM
Tough call... but I voted for Skies of Arcadia. Xenoblade was my 2nd choice.

I also own ToS but could never get into it, never played more than like 5 hours in any save file, and I tried many times to like it. I still plan to try it again some day... been like 4 years since my last try.
#42HayashiTakaraPosted 7/23/2014 6:33:19 PM
DTY3 posted...
Symphonia is one of the weaker Tales games, but it's still solid.

Still the highest selling and highest rated Tales game to ever existed.
#43Shadowbird_RHPosted 7/23/2014 6:33:33 PM
I'm surprised it's so close. I see ToS well above SoAL, and XC well above ToS.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#44DTY3Posted 7/23/2014 8:56:58 PM(edited)
HayashiTakara posted...
DTY3 posted...
Symphonia is one of the weaker Tales games, but it's still solid.

Still the highest selling and highest rated Tales game to ever existed.

in America.

Tenth highest in Japan, and that's being gracious and counting the PS2 version. GC is fourteenth highest.
Most Americans don't even know it's a series.

Anyway, yeah. One of the weaker titles but still solid.
#45CelsicaPosted 7/23/2014 9:01:06 PM
Skies, hands down. The music, world, and characters are all incredibly enchanting.

I love the other two games as well. Xenoblade is probably a close second. As for Symphonia, while I loved it when I first played it, I don't think it's particularly aged well. The only other Tales games I've played are Phantasia and Abyss, but I easily prefer Abyss over Symphonia.
---
3DS FC: 1676-3786-2211, AC:NL - Patrick @ Ivy Oaks
#46iKhanicPosted 7/23/2014 10:10:09 PM
Celsica posted...
Skies, hands down. The music, world, and characters are all incredibly enchanting.

I love the other two games as well. Xenoblade is probably a close second. As for Symphonia, while I loved it when I first played it, I don't think it's particularly aged well. The only other Tales games I've played are Phantasia and Abyss, but I easily prefer Abyss over Symphonia.

You mind if I ask what you liked about Abyss more?

I played Abyss recently, and thought it was universally worse or equal to Symphonia in every area. Guy was the only PC I liked, and they might as well have ad you pick areas from a world map screen rather than make you actually walk around the overworld, as there was no overworld exploration at all.

I would go into an in depth critique of the game, but that's not the point of this post. I did like it, but I'd give it a 7/10, while I'd easily give Symphonia a 10/10 any day.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#47Rizaadon007Posted 7/23/2014 10:13:38 PM
Seeing as I've only played Symphonia, and the Tales series is my absolute favorite series EVER... I'ma go with Tales of Symphonia.
---
First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky.
-NettoSaito on the children characters in Fire Emblem Awakening.
#48SuigintouEVPosted 7/23/2014 10:28:04 PM(edited)
Tales of Symphonia is by far the best of those three. It's got great characters, great dungeons/puzzles, a fun-as-hell world map, a ton of sidequests, a fun story, a great 2D battle system (which people mistakenly compare to 3D battle systems of later Tales games), and generally just has great, immersive pacing. Its story isn't perfect, but it's perfectly entertaining.

It's the second best Tales game after Abyss, and a top 10 RPG ever.

...Between SoA and XBC, the former has mostly better gameplay aside from its encounter rate, while the latter has a better story. I'd probably pick Xenoblade if I had to, but both games are not that much better than average due to their glaring flaws.

I wish Skies of Arcadia could be remade with visible encounters instead of random. It could have been something truly amazing. Its exploration was just jaw-droppingly good. But as-is, it's just unplayable a second time for me because you can't take two steps without a battle. I really loved its characters and world-building though, and recall its battle system being pretty fun.

Xenoblade's not really that fun to play to be honest. Its sidequests are awful, its battle system, while not "bad", per-say is not really engaging. The world has a lot of places to.. walk but not much to actually do besides walk. The story's pretty entertaining, but it could have been so much more if the characters weren't horrible.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#49coreekymonPosted 7/23/2014 10:18:40 PM
Haven't played Tales of Symphonia, but I think I would put Skies of Arcadia above Xenoblade.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/coreekymon
3DS FC: 3695-0124-0339
#50Emmy_AltavaPosted 7/23/2014 10:21:40 PM
I'm thankful to see that Symphonia isn't winning.

I played it for the first time this year and I'm pretty sure I've played NES games that have aged better. Bad writing - what the actual hell was Yuan trying to accomplish, given that he changes sides every time he's on camera - terrible voice acting (especially Colette), and every single battle except the Dragon Nest can be won by simple button mashing. Raine is the only character I liked in the entire game, although Kratos came close before they decided to throw every single mysterious RPG mercenary trope ever onto him.

It had a little nonlinearity at the beginning, but that's not enough to make it a masterpiece like the other two.