Skies of Arcadia vs Tales of Symphonia vs Xenoblade Chronicles

#51IkueOhtaniEVPosted 7/23/2014 11:30:58 PM
I can't decide. I might, only slightly... edge towards Xenoblade. I felt like it was a very streamlined experience. They cut out all the fluff and extra padding a lot of JRPG's have with backtrack sidequests by giving you the option to teleport from the get go....

What?
You're joking right?

Xenoblade is chock full of padding. Its pacing is crap.
---
Volume requesting = Results
http://transgen.890m.com/forums/index.php?topic=206.0
#52iKhanicPosted 7/23/2014 11:40:49 PM
Emmy_Altava posted...
I'm thankful to see that Symphonia isn't winning.

I played it for the first time this year and I'm pretty sure I've played NES games that have aged better. Bad writing - what the actual hell was Yuan trying to accomplish, given that he changes sides every time he's on camera - terrible voice acting (especially Colette), and every single battle except the Dragon Nest can be won by simple button mashing. Raine is the only character I liked in the entire game, although Kratos came close before they decided to throw every single mysterious RPG mercenary trope ever onto him.

It had a little nonlinearity at the beginning, but that's not enough to make it a masterpiece like the other two.

You do know that there are difficulty settings in the game right? Also, a great part of RPGs is that you have the freedom to be underleveled or overleveled for bosses.

Also, the game has one of the strongest voice casts in a JRPG ever. Tara Strong, Scott Menville, Cam Clarke are all pretty high profile voice actors.

The game had quite a bit of nonlinearity throughout.

I'm having a hard time believing you've even played the game if you didn't get Yuan's motives.

What on earth is hatable about Symphonia's characters aside from Zelos? None of them have characteristics that are obnoxious. Cliched yes, but definitely not unlikable.

They CERTAINLY tower over Xenoblade's characters, who might as well have all been unvoiced avatars aside from Reyn and Riki. None of them were particularly dislikable. But they were just generic and boring, with no outstanding character traits.

Xenoblade also gets more convoluted towards the end than I've ever seen a story ever get. The only way the story makes any sense at all is if you chalk it all up to the game being a virtual simulation.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#53iKhanicPosted 7/23/2014 11:45:49 PM
Can someone tell me what the hell people saw in Abyss? The characters made me want to strangle them. The game was as linear as a straight line. The crafting system was poorly telegraphed and annoying to access, the overworld exploration didn't exist, combos in combat maxed out at 3, the story decides to pretty much reboot and repeat itself halfway through, and there isn't really any excitement surrounding a villain the game basically tells you within the first hour.

Oh yeah, and then character ability customization was limited and extremely poorly telegraphed, as titles weren't explained, nor was the process of learning Ad Skills.

It's a miracle that the game managed to stay so fun in spite of so many glaring flaws.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#54darkness1018Posted 7/23/2014 11:46:03 PM
Tales of Symphonia
Skies of Arcadia
Xenoblade
---
PSN: nightwing2099 3DS XL FC: 0490-6058-6459
Systems I own: PS3, PS4, PSP, PSV, Original Xbox, 3DS XL, Wii
#55DishSoapPosted 7/24/2014 12:33:08 AM
I'd say xenoblade, I replayed symphonia not long ago and I enjoyed much more back in the day, haven't played skies of Arcadia though, I want to but whenever I look it up it's quite expensive.
#56theFAKEsheridanPosted 7/24/2014 12:42:46 AM
vermilion99 posted...
Tales of Symphonia

---
GameFAQs, where anyone who doesn't agree with you is a troll.
#57Maverick_ReznorPosted 7/24/2014 1:53:42 AM
All 3 are great
---
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy 6, Wonderful 101, and Titanfall
Looking Forward To: Destiny, Smash Bros, The Order 1886, and ScaleBound
#58snake_5036Posted 7/24/2014 2:27:26 AM(edited)
what the actual hell was Yuan trying to accomplish, given that he changes sides every time he's on camera

If you know the game's story, his wishy washy behavior makes sense in the grand scheme of things. It also explains why he was trying to kill you at the beginning and later switches sides since the party is now opposing his main enemy rather than helping the main enemy.

every single battle except the Dragon Nest can be won by simple button mashing.

lmao. I'd love to see anybody beat Kratos just by mashing the A button and nothing else.
---
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady.
#59ShinChuckPosted 7/24/2014 3:07:07 AM
Skies of Arcadia holding it's own! I like that.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#60SBias73Posted 7/24/2014 3:56:19 AM
I just would kill to see a modern take on Skies. Game was great, and it just felt good. Nintendo and Sega collaborate and give us a sequel.
---
Nin ID: Sbias73
Add me. I could talk about gaming all day.