Dumb question about Pro Controller...

#1dudupupuPosted 7/23/2014 9:13:53 AM
...just snagged one for Best Buy's sale and am curious what I can do with it?

Is there an accurate compatibility list for it out there somewhere?

Can I use it to play games liks Shovel Knight/Earthbound/etc.?

How about Wii games?
---
Proud follower of Christ!
3DS: Name: SwuglyBear, FC: 5429-7287-4928
#2toadiemanPosted 7/23/2014 9:17:26 AM
Wii U controllers can't play wii games.
---
I can't wait to bomb some dodongos
#3Flare7Posted 7/23/2014 9:17:52 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games_that_use_the_Wii_U_Pro_Controller

All Wii U VC games support the controller.

Not compatible with Wii as far as I know.
#4KarateJonsPosted 7/23/2014 9:56:20 AM
If Shovel Knight is a Wii U specific game, you should be fine? There should be a prompt at the beginning of the game that asks you to select either the Gamepad controller or the Pro controller.

You can also turn off the Gamepad from the Home menu and use just the Pro controller if you wanted to save battery life and didn't need to use the Gamepad.
#5snake_5036Posted 7/23/2014 9:59:49 AM
How about Wii games?

Only Wiimote (and nunchuk) or classic controllers can play Wii games.
---
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady.
#6DTY3Posted 7/23/2014 10:09:09 AM
Almost all Wii U games are compatible.

The ones that aren't usually don't support it for obvious reasons (like ZombiU) so it's more of a common sense thing.
#7n00bsaib0tPosted 7/23/2014 10:13:14 AM
DTY3 posted...

The ones that aren't usually don't support it for obvious reasons (like ZombiU) so it's more of a common sense thing.

This, plus the back of the cases for physical games tells you what controllers are supported so going physical has no guessing game. I'm not sure if digital releases tell you which controllers work, but generally you can ask here about specific games. Asking in general it's hard to answer.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#8DeathSoul2000Posted 7/23/2014 10:14:52 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
DTY3 posted...

This, plus the back of the cases for physical games tells you what controllers are supported so going physical has no guessing game. I'm not sure if digital releases tell you which controllers work, but generally you can ask here about specific games. Asking in general it's hard to answer.

l know WSP tells you which controllers can be used, but l can't remember if Wii U eshop does or not.
#9DTY3Posted 7/23/2014 12:27:48 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
DTY3 posted...

Every game's page on the eShop has a "compatible controllers" section.
#10dudupupu(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 12:58:56 PM
Another question. Is the glossy finish the kind that scratches easy (think the classic controller for wii) or like the Gamepad (which after letting my niece and her friends play/throw it for hours, has nary a hairline scratch on it)?
---
Proud follower of Christ!
3DS: Name: SwuglyBear, FC: 5429-7287-4928