Rate my idea for Nintendo's next console

#11Granadico_Posted 7/23/2014 12:03:16 PM
Yeah the subscription stuff is pretty ridiculously high
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#12iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 12:09:18 PM
blundermine posted...
$45 is way to much to ask people to pay without actually owning anything. $15/months is even quite hefty.

You get unlimited play time of 50-60 dollar games. Assuming you play one game a month, that's pretty damn affordable. it's not designed for people who play less than that.

$15 is 3 NES games or 2 SNES games, maybe that's a bit hefty, but I think it's somewhat fair.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#13SonytendoPosted 7/23/2014 12:27:57 PM(edited)
One by one:
Name: Bit Mass Effect sounding.
Launch Date: 5 year generation is a hope for me. I want 2018 launch for all 9th gen consoles.
Power: Disapprove. Dump PowerPC and if 12GB is only 25% less powerful than PS5 it will be an awful underpowered generation all around. Screw BC just make a good console.
Storage: Very low. Prices are dropping like crazy and games are already 50 GB with huge patches.
Ports: Approve.
Controller: I do not want another generation of motion control in games where it does not belong. I want a more conventional controller. Also the Wii U GamePad was so poorly designed getting that price down to where they'll sell it for $80 is unlikely.
Online: Approve
SS/IN: Never going to happen but would be so nice and so much cheaper.
VC: Nintendo's too incompetent to do this right. The way they do VC makes it incredibly slow and it would be months before we see a third title.
VR: Keep Facebook away. Time for Nintendo On or Virtual Boy part 2
Other: Would like this.
Launch Titles: Fine if they can avoid the months of drought afterward... They won't.
Cost: Too much for what you are getting. Even the 25% more powerful PS5 shouldn't hit that mark.
#14X_Ste_90_XPosted 7/23/2014 12:27:52 PM
I like the sound of it tbh, few things it needs though-

A large HDD built in (standard)

The subscription model sounds like a good deal, but I guarantee, no one will use it due to the price tag.

Wii B/C not needed at all.

You can't expect people to put up an extra $80 to buy a gamepad to make BC with the Wii U possible, ridiculous notion.

Nobody wants another "wiimote" style controller, something closer to the Pro Pad would be a massive advantage over it.

That's it. :)
---
Currently Playing- Transistor- PS4, Child of Light- PS4, SOTC HD- PS3, DBZ Budokai HD- PS3.
Currently Awaiting- Destiny- PS4, Diablo 3- PS4
#15iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 12:58:05 PM
Sonytendo posted...
One by one:
Name: Bit Mass Effect sounding.
Launch Date: 5 year generation is a hope for me. I want 2018 launch for all 9th gen consoles.
Power: Disapprove. Dump PowerPC and if 12GB is only 25% less powerful than PS5 it will be an awful underpowered generation all around. Screw BC just make a good console.
Storage: Very low. Prices are dropping like crazy and games are already 50 GB with huge patches.
Ports: Approve.
Controller: I do not want another generation of motion control in games where it does not belong. I want a more conventional controller. Also the Wii U GamePad was so poorly designed getting that price down to where they'll sell it for $80 is unlikely.
Online: Approve
SS/IN: Never going to happen but would be so nice and so much cheaper.
VC: Nintendo's too incompetent to do this right. The way they do VC makes it incredibly slow and it would be months before we see a third title.
VR: Keep Facebook away. Time for Nintendo On or Virtual Boy part 2
Other: Would like this.
Launch Titles: Fine if they can avoid the months of drought afterward... They won't.
Cost: Too much for what you are getting. Even the 25% more powerful PS5 shouldn't hit that mark.

You can have non Power-PC or Fewer droughts at launch. Not both. Nintendo has been developing on the same architecture for 3 generations right now, so adjusting would take some time. Also, BC is SUPER important for the Wii U's successor. It likely won't break 30M units, so there will be a massive base of people looking to experience the previous gen's Nintendo titles.

RAM isn't the only factor, and Moore's law has ceased to be accurate. The jump in RAM was so huge this gen because of how long it has been.

It's an SSD drive. Anything more than 128 would make the cost too high. SSD is much faster and more efficient than HDD, and most tech is moving that direction anyway. Nintendo games tend to be smaller anyway, and if you want more space, there were quite a few USB ports offered.

The whole idea behind the controlled changes was that no one would be forced to include motion anymore. The controller has all the same buttons as a standard. But at the same time the improved technical capacity increases the member of genres for which Motion can work and the number of things you can do with it while maintaining accuracy

Oculus Rift isn't bundled. It's just compatible. What's the point of reinventing the wheel if it's already there. The tech won't get used unless it's bundled in anyway, and that's not feasible by 2018.

Your right, the cost is probably about 30-50 dollars too high. I originally had a Thunderbolt included, but then I questioned what it would be useful for, so I took it out but forgot to change the price.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#16iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 1:11:53 PM
X_Ste_90_X posted...

The subscription model sounds like a good deal, but I guarantee, no one will use it due to the price tag
Nobody wants another "wiimote" style controller, something closer to the Pro Pad would be a massive advantage over it.

Addressed the HDD complaint

The cost is designed to be slightly less than one game per month.

I want it, and it's my concept. But I'd argue most people's issues with motion was the accuracy. The concept of this controller is to take advantage of 12 years of tech advancement to make motion more accurate. Without motion, resting both arms on armrests while playing is super comfortable.
---
#17Megamushroom666Posted 7/23/2014 1:15:16 PM
5/10, I really think that Nintendo's next platform should be a handheld/console hybrid so any other idea isn't so great IMO.
---
Snackeroo.com
Carmina Burana: youtu.be/fUiEjLwZbTY
#18iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 1:22:19 PM
Megamushroom666 posted...
5/10, I really think that Nintendo's next platform should be a handheld/console hybrid so any other idea isn't so great IMO.

The problem with that is that adding the hybrid aspect adds NOTHING to gameplay, but dramatically increases the cost. It'll either be incredibly underpowered and indistinguishable from the previous gen gameplay wise, or it will be way too expensive.

My concept tries to find a balance between competitive hardware and innovation.
---
#19X_Ste_90_XPosted 7/23/2014 1:22:39 PM
iKhanic posted...
X_Ste_90_X posted...

The subscription model sounds like a good deal, but I guarantee, no one will use it due to the price tag

Addressed the HDD complaint

The cost is designed to be slightly less than one game per month.

I want it, and it's my concept. But I'd argue most people's issues with motion was the accuracy. The concept of this controller is to take advantage of 12 years of tech advancement to make motion more accurate. Without motion, resting both arms on armrests while playing is super comfortable.

Yeah I got the subscription cost, but I have problems thinking there will ever be a large enough consumer base that will pay $550 a year to stream the catalogue to make the massive investment it will cost (probably not far short of $300 million to get it up and running properly) plus maintenance/operational costs that will be millions per year. For the record, I also think the Gaikai thing with Sony is going to flop with the price they are going with.

As for the controller, I respect your opinion, I just think it isn't the best way to play games tbh, but that doesn't mean I don't like the advancements you're proposing. It could be interesting.
---
Currently Playing- Transistor- PS4, Child of Light- PS4, SOTC HD- PS3, DBZ Budokai HD- PS3.
Currently Awaiting- Destiny- PS4, Diablo 3- PS4
#20EoinPosted 7/23/2014 1:26:38 PM
Name: N7 is not terrible, but it is fairly bad. It's too much like the Nexus 7 and too plain for a console. It's likely to infringe on some trademark or other.

Launch date: 2018 is probably a bit too late, but sure, it could work.

Power: You don't seem to understand the situation PowerPC is in. The architecture is headed for use in servers and embedded devices. The chip Nintendo got IBM to customise for the GameCube, Wii and Wii U doesn't have a roadmap. The Wii U is the last general computing device to use PowerPC. They will not have PowerPC as an option next generation. 12GB of RAM is silly too. You want to get within 25% of PS5 with a little bit more RAM than the PS4? What's with the non-doubled number? RAM supply chains mean that powers of 2 are more efficient than other amounts of RAM. If you're going for 12, you may as well go for 16.

Storage: SSDs may have reliability issues over console-like lifespans and result in severely compromised storage capacities. Put in a HDD and get more space for the same price. 128GB won't cut it in 2018. We do not need to pretend that tiny amounts of storage are a good idea.

Ports: What are you doing with 6 USB ports? 2 should suffice. If not, 4 is going to be enough. Would you really force in 2 USB ports that nobody will ever use at the expense of an ethernet port?

Backwards compatibility: A machine that's within touching distance of the PS5 should be able to emulate the Wii and Wii U, which is a good thing, because the necessity of losing PowerPC means no more hardware backwards compatibility.

Controller: I will give you the benefit of the doubt that there is actually a real market for a console with motion controls as the default scheme. Assuming that there is, what is this controller going to look like? What you've described sounds awkward.

Subscription services: US$15 a month is ridiculous. Netflix is US$8 per month. Xbox Live Gold is US$5, and PS Plus is a little bit over US$4. Nintendo need to be hitting that kind of price range. The idea of a service that can't compete in terms of price with Plus and Gold combined is ludicrous. The US$45/month service is even more ludicrous. You need to be dividing both of those prices by five, at least.