Rate my idea for Nintendo's next console

#21SonytendoPosted 7/23/2014 1:28:30 PM
iKhanic posted...
You can have non Power-PC or Fewer droughts at launch. Not both. Nintendo has been developing on the same architecture for 3 generations right now, so adjusting would take some time. Also, BC is SUPER important for the Wii U's successor. It likely won't break 30M units, so there will be a massive base of people looking to experience the previous gen's Nintendo titles.

RAM isn't the only factor, and Moore's law has ceased to be accurate. The jump in RAM was so huge this gen because of how long it has been.

It's an SSD drive. Anything more than 128 would make the cost too high. SSD is much faster and more efficient than HDD, and most tech is moving that direction anyway. Nintendo games tend to be smaller anyway, and if you want more space, there were quite a few USB ports offered.

The whole idea behind the controlled changes was that no one would be forced to include motion anymore. The controller has all the same buttons as a standard. But at the same time the improved technical capacity increases the member of genres for which Motion can work and the number of things you can do with it while maintaining accuracy

Oculus Rift isn't bundled. It's just compatible. What's the point of reinventing the wheel if it's already there. The tech won't get used unless it's bundled in anyway, and that's not feasible by 2018.

Your right, the cost is probably about 30-50 dollars too high. I originally had a Thunderbolt included, but then I questioned what it would be useful for, so I took it out but forgot to change the price.

Nintendo is gearing up to use a unified architecture between both console and handheld. Including a Wii U for the sake of BC both compromises this and adds security issues. Their output will effectively double when each game can be played on played on both systems. Nobody will have bought the Wii U anyway, not being able to play the games might drive more people to pick one up late.
A 1.5x jump is no jump at all. That's another in between gen console not a 9th generation. These current gen consoles are medium powered and sold at cost. Easy to go much much stronger next time.
SSD is getting much cheaper. Still far too expensive to be mainstream but that little storage might not even hold a generation of patches/DLC let alone possible required installs. We don't know the cost years from now but 128GB of anything won't cut it.
Map it out. I dare you. You need to give up either comfort or the layout to get it to work well.I don't want to compromise anything for motion. The fad is gone anyway, it isn't coming back. But it's good Nintendo doesn't force devs to use their strange features.
The point is different companies tech will belong to that company. Distance yourself from Facebook.
#22elheberPosted 7/23/2014 1:31:26 PM
128 GB will be laughably small for a SSD in 2018. How much is a 128 GB SD card today?
---
"[Adam Malkovich] was a father figure who Samus looked up to because of his wisdom and understanding." - P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N
3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy
#23blunderminePosted 7/23/2014 1:39:33 PM
iKhanic posted...
blundermine posted...
$45 is way to much to ask people to pay without actually owning anything. $15/months is even quite hefty.

You get unlimited play time of 50-60 dollar games. Assuming you play one game a month, that's pretty damn affordable. it's not designed for people who play less than that.

$15 is 3 NES games or 2 SNES games, maybe that's a bit hefty, but I think it's somewhat fair.

To go that route, you would have to pay it forever though. Otherwise you're rendering your console a useless brick. I'm not sure people would be willing to do that.
#24iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 1:48:55 PM
Eoin posted...
Name: N7 is not terrible, but it is fairly bad. It's too much like the Nexus 7 and too plain for a console. It's likely to infringe on some trademark or other.

Launch date: 2018 is probably a bit too late, but sure, it could work.

Power: You don't seem to understand the situation PowerPC is in. The architecture is headed for use in servers and embedded devices. The chip Nintendo got IBM to customise for the GameCube, Wii and Wii U doesn't have a roadmap. The Wii U is the last general computing device to use PowerPC. They will not have PowerPC as an option next generation. 12GB of RAM is silly too. You want to get within 25% of PS5 with a little bit more RAM than the PS4? What's with the non-doubled number? RAM supply chains mean that powers of 2 are more efficient than other amounts of RAM. If you're going for 12, you may as well go for 16.

Storage: SSDs may have reliability issues over console-like lifespans and result in severely compromised storage capacities. Put in a HDD and get more space for the same price. 128GB won't cut it in 2018. We do not need to pretend that tiny amounts of storage are a good idea.

Ports: What are you doing with 6 USB ports? 2 should suffice. If not, 4 is going to be enough. Would you really force in 2 USB ports that nobody will ever use at the expense of an ethernet port?

Backwards compatibility: A machine that's within touching distance of the PS5 should be able to emulate the Wii and Wii U, which is a good thing, because the necessity of losing PowerPC means no more hardware backwards compatibility.

Controller: I will give you the benefit of the doubt that there is actually a real market for a console with motion controls as the default scheme. Assuming that there is, what is this controller going to look like? What you've described sounds awkward.

Subscription services: US$15 a month is ridiculous. Netflix is US$8 per month. Xbox Live Gold is US$5, and PS Plus is a little bit over US$4. Nintendo need to be hitting that kind of price range. The idea of a service that can't compete in terms of price with Plus and Gold combined is ludicrous. The US$45/month service is even more ludicrous. You need to be dividing both of those prices by five, at least.

-I'm aware PowerPC was in a pickle, but I didn't know it wasn't even an option. Fair enough. I guess that Nintendo is gonna have to suck it up.

-I thought most of the issues with SSDs have been ironed out? Guess not.

-6 USBs was specifically included because of the low drive space space,

-I'm not really sure about that. Moore's Law is becoming less and less true. Unless Graphene transistors happen within the next 5 years, advancement in tech will be slower won't it?

-If they aren't used as the default scheme, there is no point in having them at all. If the system manages to get a widespread casual audience, it may get used for that, but usage in other games would be limited at best. Motion controls are everywhere, and critics of the wand-style motion are what I'd say are a vocal minority. The Wii's prototype played around with a design that could work with the controller I described. I'm sure with a little R&D Nintendo could hammer out something that works.

-Movies are much cheaper than games. XBLG and PSPlus are two games a month that are predetermined. This is unlimited play of a large library of games for no additional cost. The idea was that only more dedicated gamers who play a full retail game per month would take advantage of the service, but someone else made the good point that that may not be enough subscribers to pay for upkeep cost
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#25iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 1:50:07 PM
elheber posted...
128 GB will be laughably small for a SSD in 2018. How much is a 128 GB SD card today?

70-80 dollars. I wanted the cost to be under 30 dollars.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#26Pink_a_DinkPosted 7/23/2014 1:52:00 PM
I'm not gonna lie, N7 may just be worse than Wii U.
---
My reaction when stupid people say stupid things - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVhfdduwfo
The Wii U board is seriously just awful.
#27iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 1:57:46 PM
Sonytendo posted...
iKhanic posted...
You can have non Power-PC or Fewer droughts at launch. Not both. Nintendo has been developing on the same architecture for 3 generations right now, so adjusting would take some time. Also, BC is SUPER important for the Wii U's successor. It likely won't break 30M units, so there will be a massive base of people looking to experience the previous gen's Nintendo titles.

RAM isn't the only factor, and Moore's law has ceased to be accurate. The jump in RAM was so huge this gen because of how long it has been.

It's an SSD drive. Anything more than 128 would make the cost too high. SSD is much faster and more efficient than HDD, and most tech is moving that direction anyway. Nintendo games tend to be smaller anyway, and if you want more space, there were quite a few USB ports offered.

The whole idea behind the controlled changes was that no one would be forced to include motion anymore. The controller has all the same buttons as a standard. But at the same time the improved technical capacity increases the member of genres for which Motion can work and the number of things you can do with it while maintaining accuracy

Oculus Rift isn't bundled. It's just compatible. What's the point of reinventing the wheel if it's already there. The tech won't get used unless it's bundled in anyway, and that's not feasible by 2018.

Your right, the cost is probably about 30-50 dollars too high. I originally had a Thunderbolt included, but then I questioned what it would be useful for, so I took it out but forgot to change the price.

Nintendo is gearing up to use a unified architecture between both console and handheld. Including a Wii U for the sake of BC both compromises this and adds security issues. Their output will effectively double when each game can be played on played on both systems. Nobody will have bought the Wii U anyway, not being able to play the games might drive more people to pick one up late.
A 1.5x jump is no jump at all. That's another in between gen console not a 9th generation. These current gen consoles are medium powered and sold at cost. Easy to go much much stronger next time.
SSD is getting much cheaper. Still far too expensive to be mainstream but that little storage might not even hold a generation of patches/DLC let alone possible required installs. We don't know the cost years from now but 128GB of anything won't cut it.
Map it out. I dare you. You need to give up either comfort or the layout to get it to work well.I don't want to compromise anything for motion. The fad is gone anyway, it isn't coming back. But it's good Nintendo doesn't force devs to use their strange features.
The point is different companies tech will belong to that company. Distance yourself from Facebook.

It's not a 1.5x jump. It's close to the PS5, but far enough to invest in something to differentiate the system.

I don't design controllers, but before the Vita and 3DS happened, I'd have made the same bet about including analog control on a handheld,let alone dual analog sticks like the Vita has. Where there's a will there's a way.

It wasn't a fad. Motion Controls are literally present in every current gen system not called the Ouya. That's not a fad, that's a progression.

So for the purpose of ownership reinvent the wheel. Sounds stupid. It's not like Nintendo is embracing Facebook. They are simply allowing compatibility.
---
#28BlueLinkHeroPosted 7/23/2014 2:03:27 PM
You want motion controls to return? Eww...
#29iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 2:10:42 PM
BlueLinkHero posted...
You want motion controls to return? Eww...

Dunno if you noticed, but the Wii U has better motion controls in it than the Wii ever had. I literally just changed the shape of the controller.
---
#30EoinPosted 7/23/2014 2:13:37 PM(edited)
iKhanic posted...
-6 USBs was specifically included because of the low drive space space,

That doesn't explain it though.

Firstly, if adding storage space through USB is okay, then what's the point of an SSD? You're clearly happy with USB-like speeds, so for the cost of a 128GB SSD you may as well get a ~1TB hard drive (or whatever - I haven't checked them against each other recently, so maybe it'll turn out to be a 640GB or 750GB hard drive instead).

Secondly, solving the space issue takes one USB port. Maybe two for drives that need two ports for power. That leaves 4 ports remaining. Let's say two for general use, and that means four for the system, and we can forget the other two.

iKhanic posted...
-I'm not really sure about that. Moore's Law is becoming less and less true. Unless Graphene transistors happen within the next 5 years, advancement in tech will be slower won't it?

What are you not sure of? That the Wii U is a fairly easy target for emulation? It should be, given that at that point, Nintendo will have been working with the basic chip for nearly 20 years. They should be able to emulate a machine that is not massively more powerful than an Xbox 360.

iKhanic posted...
-If they aren't used as the default scheme, there is no point in having them at all.

Agreed. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that motion controls should be default. It may mean that you should seriously consider whether there really isn't a point in having them at all.

iKhanic posted...
-Movies are much cheaper than games. XBLG and PSPlus are two games a month that are predetermined. This is unlimited play of a large library of games for no additional cost.

You're comparing wrongly. An individual movie costs less than an individual game, and people mostly accept this because an individual movie lasts for a lot less time than a typical individual game.

However, with something like Netflix, you are no longer comparing individual movies with individual games. You're comparing "unlimited" (meaning "really large") amounts of movies and TV to an "unlimited" amount of games. The cost needs to be the same.

iKhanic posted...
The idea was that only more dedicated gamers who play a full retail game per month would take advantage of the service, but someone else made the good point that that may not be enough subscribers to pay for upkeep cost

There aren't anywhere near enough people who would pay that. Especially not for streaming.

Even the people who are hugely dedicated, why on Earth should they consider paying that? Let's take the case of the Wii U. It launched in November 2012. It's now 20 months later. That's US$900 based on your price. Have you spent that much on Wii U games? Are you going to spend an additional US$45 this month? How about next month? The month after? Even if so, would you be happy to swap the games you get for that money for a streamed version?

The prices aren't workable. Like it or not, a subscription service needs to compete in terms of price with other subscription services. That may make an unlimited play subscription unworkable.