Rate my idea for Nintendo's next console

#41iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 4:08:46 PM
The Vita and Gamepad aren't in the correct form factor to use the Magnetometer for the precision I'm advocating for. And additional accuracy can come from accelerometers and gyroscopes that simply collect more data, to allow for a cleaner interpretation.

I disagree that they can't be used for fighting games. Have you tried the Shake Smash in Brawl? It's really fun when it works, because it hooks you into the game more. The problem is that it works about 20% of the time. Granted Brawl's not a traditional fighter, but the same idea applies. Instead of assigning a particular control to a button, assign it to a gesture. The reason those things don't work right now is because you need perfect accuracy and almost zero lag in a fighter.

You didn't describe the problem of Wii Motion Plus in a sword fighting game though. Skyward Sword's controls really weren't all that accurate. And they were used for more puzzle-like combat. I'd be willing to bet that with an accuracy increase they would be able to make the system more action oriented as well, with a wider range of movement the player can be expected to make. The physical feedback issue is solved pretty well with a powerful rumble effect and the speaker on the controller. It's not like Kinect where you are literally not holding anything at all.

Also, with dual analog an motion, there is even greater potential for multitasking. Pandora's Tower would have desperately benefitted from a camera control with it's motion control.

And while on the subject of Pandora's Tower, that's a perfect example of how motion control could be used in conjunction with a more powerful system. That game has a gameplay mechanic where depending on where you target enemies with a chain, you restrict your movement differently. When you KO monsters, where you target their bodies affects which item you get. And PT is a game that has a very concisely designed inventory system, so such a mechanic tends to play a big deal.

With a more powerful system, you could have more specific things that could be targeted. Maybe you could even make enemies into destructable entities, so that you could grab and enemies arm and use it as a weapon. Or in a sword game being able to cut off a characters limb to make fighting them more easy. That sort of motion-based precision could be dramatically enhanced.

I'm not saying none of these things couldn't be done with buttons mind you. But most of them are done better with motion. Even if it's just substituting a button press, a gesture is necessarily more engaging, and if done correctly, more immersive than a button press.

The Wii U isn't getting games period. Be it strategy, shooter, or puzzle. A system with a solid install base could easily get more games suited for its control scheme.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#42elheberPosted 7/23/2014 4:31:54 PM
A next gen console without motion controls, at least optional, is not happening. Not with the emergence of VR. I wouldn't mind it if you could pull apart two halves of one gamepad to use individually as two-hand motion controllers.
---
"[Adam Malkovich] was a father figure who Samus looked up to because of his wisdom and understanding." - P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N
3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy
#43powerclaw1Posted 7/23/2014 4:48:12 PM
20/10 would bang.
---
When life throws you a curveball, throw it back with maximum force.
#44NoxyzPosted 7/23/2014 4:52:25 PM
Sounds cool.
#45elheberPosted 7/23/2014 5:22:53 PM
If I were to design the next gen Nintendo console, I would make it a portable hybrid as was mentioned here somewhere. The controllers would be designed to be compact yet comfortable with maybe a fold-back screen.

All the processing would be done by the controller(s), and they'd stream to the TV either by some small optional console hub or some wireless streaming protocol in future TVs.

I understand that this type of setup means a lower graphical fidelity compared to a home console, but I'd be happy with a miniaturized Wii U, so long as it's early enough in the cycle.
---
"[Adam Malkovich] was a father figure who Samus looked up to because of his wisdom and understanding." - P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N
3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy
#46brentendo3Posted 7/23/2014 5:35:06 PM
I don't like the streaming subscription services, but I guess everything else is decent.

I've always imagined the ideal console as a single screen hand held about the size of the Vita. This system takes carts like the 3DS and can be taken anywhere. There would also be a home console dock where which would transfer the gameplay to the TV. The dock then takes extra graphic assets from within the game cart and uses a more powerful computer on the dock to drastically improve the graphics for a home console experience.
#47iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 6:45:05 PM
I don't know why I said I couldn't think of a way Nintendo could implement the a control scheme I mentioned on something like a Wii Remote. I had thought of it not too long ago

1. Move the D-Pad to the Nunchuck below the analog stick
2. Place a second analog stick where the D-pad was
3. Make the Z and B triggers analog
4. Place 3 buttons around the A button on the Wii remote. In a GCN-esque style. A few things would have to be moved, like placing the speaker horizontally, but it would work.
5. Add a digital trigger behind the right analog.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#48Papi010Posted 7/23/2014 6:55:01 PM
Virtual boy 2017
#49Granadico_Posted 7/23/2014 7:11:44 PM
brentendo3 posted...
I've always imagined the ideal console as a single screen hand held about the size of the Vita. This system takes carts like the 3DS and can be taken anywhere. There would also be a home console dock where which would transfer the gameplay to the TV. The dock then takes extra graphic assets from within the game cart and uses a more powerful computer on the dock to drastically improve the graphics for a home console experience.

This is exactly what i want it to be like
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#50Megamushroom666Posted 7/23/2014 7:19:03 PM
iKhanic posted...
Megamushroom666 posted...
5/10, I really think that Nintendo's next platform should be a handheld/console hybrid so any other idea isn't so great IMO.

The problem with that is that adding the hybrid aspect adds NOTHING to gameplay, but dramatically increases the cost. It'll either be incredibly underpowered and indistinguishable from the previous gen gameplay wise, or it will be way too expensive.

My concept tries to find a balance between competitive hardware and innovation.

If the console is once again underpowered compared to PS5, it'll just continue to be shunned by third parties. I don't think a new controller will bring in developers cause they're focused on traditional controls, not motion controls. The Wii U already supports Wiimote+ and no one really cares. Same with PS Move, no one really cares about that anymore.

A hybrid platform will take Nintendo out of the console wars and carve a new market out for them. Cause Nintendo can't match PS or Xbox specs from now on, and there isn't another 'Wiimote' innovation on the horizon. They tried it with the GamePad but it wasn't enough. A dual Wiimote probably won't be enough either.
---
Snackeroo.com
Carmina Burana: youtu.be/fUiEjLwZbTY