Goldeneye 64 and other RARE games potentially never making it for download?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Goldeneye 64 and other RARE games potentially never making it for download?
10 months ago#1
I have seen many people mention the understandable frustration of Goldeneye 64 not being available on the Wii Virtual Console or Wii U eShop...

... but is it true that the reason for this is the current ownership of RARE by Microsoft?

I guess I was at first confused by that possibility, since Donkey Kong Country series, I'm pretty sure was from RARE, but yet Wii U is able to make more in the Donkey Kong Country series with "Returns" and "Tropical Freeze" ....

Licensing and Copyrights are a bit confusing, in that sense, but...

Are there truths to the complication of releasing this game (and others) due to Microsoft "holding them hostage" for money? Or is that nonsense?
---
www.backloggery.com/lonlonmilklover
10 months ago#2
lonlonmilklover posted...
I have seen many people mention the understandable frustration of Goldeneye 64 not being available on the Wii Virtual Console or Wii U eShop...

... but is it true that the reason for this is the current ownership of RARE by Microsoft?

I guess I was at first confused by that possibility, since Donkey Kong Country series, I'm pretty sure was from RARE, but yet Wii U is able to make more in the Donkey Kong Country series with "Returns" and "Tropical Freeze" ....

Are there truths to the complication of releasing this game (and others) due to Microsoft "holding them hostage" for money? Or is that nonsense?

the SNES ones are fully owned by nintendo, they were only made by RARE.

Rare had some rights to N64 stuff. Espcailyl Jet Force Gemani I assume.

If you want goldeneye, Goldeneye:source (free mod on Steam) isn't nearly as bad or meh as I thought it would be.
---
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039
(edited 0 seconds ago)
10 months ago#3
lt's more a case of Rare not owning the Bond licence for about 20 years. Stuff like that is almost impossible to get rereleases of due to the license changing hands.
10 months ago#4
Still waiting for Conker's Bad Fur Day. The Xbox re-release version is complete trash.
10 months ago#5
fire2box posted...

If you want goldeneye, Goldeneye:source (free mod on Steam) isn't nearly as bad or meh as I thought it would be.

Not all SNES Rare games are owned by Nintendo. Example: Battletoads
---
You want Wii Truth?! You can't handle Wii Truth!!!
10 months ago#6
Nintendo can rerelease DKC because it owns the IP. I believe Rare kept ownership of all their original IPs so Nintendo can't release Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemeni, ect. I believe they could do Donkey Kong 64, but with Jetpak being in that game it might be a hurdle.

Goldeneye also has the seperate issue of the Bond lisence, currently held by Activision. So a Goldeneye rerelease would need to have agreements between Nintendo, Rare/Microsoft, Activision, AND MGM. Basically, it's impossible.
10 months ago#7
Toozin posted...
Nintendo can rerelease DKC because it owns the IP. I believe Rare kept ownership of all their original IPs so Nintendo can't release Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemeni, ect. I believe they could do Donkey Kong 64, but with Jetpak being in that game it might be a hurdle.

Goldeneye also has the seperate issue of the Bond lisence, currently held by Activision. So a Goldeneye rerelease would need to have agreements between Nintendo, Rare/Microsoft, Activision, AND MGM. Basically, it's impossible.

I wonder about all the games they released before Donkey Kong in 94. Games like Wizards and Warriors and Battletoads probably wouldn't make it to the Virtual Console.
---
How to ignore people: 1. Click on user's message detail. 2 Scroll to Ignore. 3. Click on Ignore. Boom. You ignore the person's topics and posts.
10 months ago#8
retrogoods posted...
Toozin posted...

I wonder about all the games they released before Donkey Kong in 94. Games like Wizards and Warriors and Battletoads probably wouldn't make it to the Virtual Console.

Rare could release those on Xbox Live but doing Nintendo VC releases would be against Microsoft's interests.
10 months ago#9
fire2box posted...

That's what I thought...but then, where the heck did the SNES DKC games go?
10 months ago#10
Nintendo has full rights to...
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Donkey Kong Land(on the Jp 3DS eShop)
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox Adventures

The rights to Golden Eye fall to who owns the current James Bond license. Although Nintendo seems to have kept it's rights to release it, because Microsoft wanted to release an upgraded port and it wasn't the Bond license that killed it.

Anyway Nintendo has half rights to Diddy Kong Racing, even the DS one. That's were the current rumors come from.

Other game like Killer Instinct, Blast Corps., Banjo Kazzoie, Jet Force Gemini are fully owned by Rare. Don't ask about Battletoads and Wizards and Warriors that a whole nother can of worms.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Goldeneye 64 and other RARE games potentially never making it for download?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived