I love Metroidvania but never played Castlevania...

#11Pink_a_DinkPosted 7/23/2014 7:18:52 PM
Castlevania is amazing. You should definitely play it TC. Id start with Super Castlevania IV on SNES. Then Symphony of the Night on PS1. Its arguably the best Castlevania game ever. My personal favorite is Portrait of Ruin. You definitely need to play that one.
---
My reaction when stupid people say stupid things - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVhfdduwfo
The Wii U board is seriously just awful.
#12TruthsEdge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 8:01:07 PM
The DS games seem to get a lot of praise. I will try to track them down on DS (or wait for the VC release. Also, of course I will play SotN. I have high expectations for that game but I want to get use to the Castlevania's style first. And I have no interest in the Lords of Shadows games right now.

So I think I will try Castlevania, Castlevania III, IV, SotN, CotM, Aria and Dawn of Sorrow. (Maybe Portait of Ruin)

The first four are easy to find and hopefully I should be able to get the others once I'm done.

Also someone mentioned a collection. Are there any other recent collections or remakes?
---
Wii U ID: Aikoku-sha
3DS: 4656-6218-3929. PSN: xRadiant_Wolfx XBL: xRadiant Wolfx
#13neogeoftwPosted 7/23/2014 8:07:08 PM
Dawn of sorrow if you can get a hold of it. Symphony of the night was the first castlevania in the metroidvania style, not counting Simons quest.
#14PUNCHOUT1116Posted 7/23/2014 8:43:45 PM
I would suggest Dawn of Sorrow on the DS to start. It's probably the purest, most traditional of the three DS games, as well as one of the latest/most current of that style (the DS games were the last of that style).

After that, jump to any Symphony of the Night style Vania you want to, they're all pretty great, but Dawn of Sorrow is probably the best starting point.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#15StarmanJunior64Posted 7/23/2014 8:57:16 PM
My favourites are Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Symphony of the Night, Order of Ecclesia, Super Castlevania IV, Simon's Quest, and 1 and 3 for NES despite difficulty.

People like the Sorrow games a lot. I thought Aria was decent, but I hated Dawn of Sorrow.
---
Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES), and Mother 3 (GBA)
#16Kiro_namiPosted 7/23/2014 8:59:12 PM
Circle of the Moon is a good start. It's a stand alone game so you don't have to worry about story. It's also underrated as hell.
---
GameFAQs is like a car crash - you know it's horrible but you just can't turn away.
#17Earthworm_JimPosted 7/23/2014 9:06:23 PM
I'd recommend the GBA and DS Castelvania games
#18tav19Posted 7/23/2014 9:15:31 PM
The only Castlevania collections/remakes I'm aware of are

Dracula X Chronicles (Remake of Rondo of Blood which also contains the original version of Rondo of Blood as well as SotN) for the PSP/PS Vita

Castlevania Chronicles (Remake & Port of the X8600 version of Castlevania) for the PS1/PSN

The Castlevania Double Pack (Contains Harmony of Dissonance & Aria of Sorrow) for the GBA

The Lords of Shadow Collection (Has LoS 1 & Mirror of Fate)for the PS3 & Xbox 360
#19lordjersPosted 7/23/2014 9:19:37 PM(edited)
Play the intro of SotN, get pumped, then put it away and play the best Metroidvania ever which is Circle of the Moon.

Then play the NES trilogy because they are what really defined the series.

Heck, for some really old-school proto-Metroidvania, play Vampire Killer.
---
Science and Religion can be great friends. However, they make up for an awful marriage.
Top CVs: CV, CV III, SCV IV, CotM, CV 64
#20SuigintouEVPosted 7/23/2014 9:35:40 PM(edited)
My favorite metroid-styled Castlevanias are Aria of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night, and Circle of the Moon, in that order. Order of Ecclesia's good too, but breaks away from that style a bit. I would avoid anything with "Harmony" in the title.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II