I love Metroidvania but never played Castlevania...

#21SuigintouEVPosted 7/23/2014 9:30:31 PM
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
I would suggest Dawn of Sorrow on the DS to start. It's probably the purest, most traditional of the three DS games,

Except it's a direct sequel to Aria of Sorrow, which is one hell of an amazing game.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#22Kabuto_YPosted 7/23/2014 9:34:09 PM
Just remember that I, III, and IV are all linear side-scrollers, and not "Metroidvania". I and IV are fairly difficult, but 3 is insanely difficult (probably harder than the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy). SotN is the first time it actually put the vania in Metroidvania, and the handheld titles follow suit.

II is kinda like a Metroidvania, but it's still garbage other than the opening theme song.

Lord of Shadows is more a God of War style game, and not particularly interesting in that regard.
---
3DS FC: 2449-4620-4409
AC town name: 'Murrica
#23SuigintouEVPosted 7/23/2014 9:37:53 PM
Iokua posted...
I would actually suggest against playing Symphony of the Night. I recently finished it and it's easily the worst CastleVania to bear the "Metroidvania" style of gameplay. It ceased being a challenge about an hour into it and just became a slow, repetitive slog against bosses so weak they couldn't hope to put up a fight. I finished the game by literally standing in the same spot and stabbing the **** out of the final boss.

You... did play the second half of the game, right? Just want to make sure.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#24PUNCHOUT1116Posted 7/23/2014 9:50:14 PM
SuigintouEV posted...
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
I would suggest Dawn of Sorrow on the DS to start. It's probably the purest, most traditional of the three DS games,

Except it's a direct sequel to Aria of Sorrow, which is one hell of an amazing game.

Agreed, but the story of Aria is somewhat recapped and not totally necessary to enjoy Dawn. That combined with the fact that Dawn is the most up to date, pure (as in no dual character gameplay like PoR or the more disjointed world of OoE) form of that style of game makes it an easy first recommendation in my book.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
#25SuigintouEVPosted 7/23/2014 10:07:17 PM(edited)
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
Agreed, but the story of Aria is somewhat recapped and not totally necessary to enjoy Dawn. That combined with the fact that Dawn is the most up to date, pure (as in no dual character gameplay like PoR or the more disjointed world of OoE) form of that style of game

Um, by recapping the story, it effectively spoils the plot of AoS. Plus AoS is a better game.

And Aria of Sorrow follows pure Metroidvania gameplay too. The only difference is Aria takes place in Castlevania while Dawn takes place in the countryside.

It's like starting Metal Gear series at MGS4, or Final Fantasy at FFX-2.

"why would you?"
---
#26AdenocelPosted 7/23/2014 10:29:39 PM
Since everyone is listing Castlevania games (Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite by the way), I'll post some other recommendations instead.

SNES:
Super Metroid

GBA:
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Metroid: Zero Mission

DS:
Monster Tale
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX: Advent

Xbox360:
Shadow Complex
Strider (also on PS3/PS4/PC)
Dust: An Elysian Tale (also on PC)

PC:

Valdis Story: Abyssal City
La-Mulana (also on Wii)
#27QuestionmarktariusPosted 7/23/2014 10:35:48 PM
Iokua posted...
I finished the game by literally standing in the same spot and stabbing the **** out of the final boss.

Clearly you weren't doing it right. That fight can be ended in about fifteen seconds by using a shield.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmVOLi5mJec
#28lordjersPosted 7/23/2014 11:02:54 PM
You... did play the second half of the game, right? Just want to make sure.

Of course he did, cause the last last boss is actually way easier than the not really last boss.

Also don't be fooled by some people here, II is a classic and Harmony is only not considered good by people expecting it to be SotN II (it doesn't have its style points, but it's actually more fun).
---
Science and Religion can be great friends. However, they make up for an awful marriage.
Top CVs: CV, CV III, SCV IV, CotM, CV 64
#29Stanger5150Posted 7/23/2014 11:24:44 PM
tav19 posted...
I'd recommend you try to go chronologically as going back to the originals from the later games can be a little rough.

Play: Castlevania (or Castlevania Chronicles on PSN, which is a port/remake of the X8600 of Castlevania), Castlevania III Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania IV, SotN, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin (especially if you loved Bloodlines as it is a direct sequel) Order of Ecclesia, Harmony of Despair, Lament of Innocence, and Lords of Shadow

Undecided: Mirror of Fate, Lords of Shadow 2

Avoid: Castlevania II Simon's Quest

I strongly disagree with this. It's the first game in the series that is a "Metroidvania", and it's my personal favorite.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
#30TheDuskwalkerPosted 7/23/2014 11:39:47 PM
If you like challenge definitely make sure you pick up Order of Ecclesia. Plus Shanoa is a blast to play as.
---
TTT2: Lili/Jaycee/Asuka; BBCP: Noel/Mu; KOF13: Mai/Leona/Elisabeth; DSR: Morrigan
DOA5U: Kasumi/Hitomi/Sarah/Rachel/Helena; USF4: Juri/Cammy/Chun; SSB: Zelda