I love Metroidvania but never played Castlevania...

#31LOLIAmAnAltPosted 7/23/2014 11:41:23 PM
SotN is one of the best games ever made.
Start there.

Sure it's easy, but I don't care because it is pure joy though and though.
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
#32CovenantPosted 7/24/2014 2:26:44 AM
Definitely play:

Circle of the Moon
Aria of Sorrow
Dawn of Sorrow

Almost definitely play:

Symphony of the Night
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia

Don't play:

Harmony of Dissonance
Any 3D Castlevania

The rest aren't Metroidvanias.
#33sonicsonicPosted 7/24/2014 3:42:56 AM
PennywiseJim posted...
Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow on DS are both really good.

These are the ones ! I recently bought the 3DS one... what a dumb-downed shambles it was....

The two I played on DS were superb. Nice difficulty, nice main game length and plenty to do after you beat the main game.
---
3DS FC:0688-5946-1084 Pokemon TSV-4026 IGN: Jack
NNID:SuperSegaSonic PSN:Sonicsuper1
#34SeikenZPosted 7/24/2014 5:17:24 AM
My favorites are Castlevania 64 (first one I ever played) and Lament of Innocence on the PS2. Symphony of the Night is also good.
#35TruthsEdge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 5:43:22 AM(edited)
I started with the first Castlevania last night. I like the game so far but I'm really going to have to get use to the knock back when you take damage. That makes up 90% of the difficulty lol.

I appreciate Nintendo VC being as faithful as possible to the original but it has really bad sprite flicker. I kinda wished they would have fixed that.
---
Wii U ID: Aikoku-sha
3DS: 4656-6218-3929. PSN: xRadiant_Wolfx XBL: xRadiant Wolfx
#36guedesbrawlPosted 7/24/2014 5:50:20 AM
really try to play symphony of the night first: the metroidvanias that followe dhad better mechanics in many places, sio you won't feel weirded out by playing Sotn
---
http://chromforsmash.tumblr.com/ http://chromforsmashbros.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ChromForSuperSmashBros4/info Support Chrom for smash 4 DLC!
#37The_DOAMPosted 7/24/2014 5:56:52 AM(edited)
Stay away from the new ones and those not found on handhelds

Play the ones with the anime style of design first(GBA-DS) including the PS1 Symphony of the Night then move into the older NES-SNES games

Then after that ruin the series with the home console games also i do beleive their was a Castlenvania collection for the PsP.
---
Ignorance is Bliss...
#38SuigintouEVPosted 7/24/2014 12:54:18 PM
TruthsEdge posted...
I started with the first Castlevania last night. I like the game so far but I'm really going to have to get use to the knock back when you take damage. That makes up 90% of the difficulty lol

The mainline/numbered castlevania games are more straightforward action-platformers rather than true "metroidvanias". I personally don't like them all that much, even though I love the metroidvanias. I also don't like actual metroid games all that much.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#39ptreemf12Posted 7/24/2014 1:00:13 PM
Symphony of the Night and Order of Ecclesia are my favorites. OoE is great because it starts off more linear like older Castlevania titles, but then has a whole metroidvania castle at the second half of the game. It's also pretty difficult and the boss battles are awesome.
---
Every dang time...
#40LOLIAmAnAltPosted 7/24/2014 10:42:53 PM
ptreemf12 posted...
Symphony of the Night and Order of Ecclesia are my favorites. OoE is great because it starts off more linear like older Castlevania titles, but then has a whole metroidvania castle at the second half of the game. It's also pretty difficult and the boss battles are awesome.

OoE is my second favorite as well!

I borrowed it from a friend...and proceeded to beat it 4 or 5 times in a row before handing back
---