why is super mario RPG so great?

#1chstarPosted 7/26/2014 12:38:57 PM
So I've finally found some free time in my life that hasn't been there in years and I was thinking and going back and playing some of the games I missed.

One I was thinking of was paper mario thousand year door, as it's usually regarded as one of the best mario RPGS.

the only mario RPG's I've played is super star saga, which I enjoyed a lot. and partners in time, which was ok. But I was thinking of playing a mario RPG from the other side of the fence, thousand year door. But as I was reading up on these games one thing I've constantly noticed is how much everyone seems to love Mario RPG for the SNES.

So my question is as basic as you can get. Why? It's gameplay mechanics seem subpar when compared to the mario and luigi series. and it's graphics are obviously inferior.

So then why is it considered on par with the later entries if not better? does it have the best story? Is it just the novelty of it being a somewhat obscure game and the first of its kind? just the novelty?

what was it about super mario RPG that made it so great? Depending one what you guys say I might give it a whirl
#2segagamerPosted 7/26/2014 12:43:24 PM
Kinda on topic, but in addition.

Why is Paper Mario: TTYD considered so amazing? Such an amazingly boring game.

And this is coming from someone who loves Superstar Saga and Inside Story, and likes Paper Mario N64.
---
NNID: JZimino
XBL: IdealCornet25
#3dankeyspaanPosted 7/26/2014 12:45:03 PM
It's not considered great.
#4Mandrew257Posted 7/26/2014 12:45:18 PM
segagamer posted...

I haven't played it yet, so I can't answer. But I want to know why people think Journey is so amazing. THAT game is one of the most boring things I've ever played. The only thing I liked about it was the artstyle. Other than that, the game was a snorefest to me.
---
Superman 64 is the greatest game ever, and anyone who says otherwise, is living in denial.
PSN/NNID: Mandrew257. Feel free to add me :)
#5dankeyspaanPosted 7/26/2014 12:45:55 PM
segagamer posted...

And this is coming from someone who loves Superstar Saga and Inside Story, and likes Paper Mario N64.

Wait WHAT. Tyd IS amazing.
#6chstar(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2014 12:49:12 PM
dankeyspaan posted...
It's not considered great.

That would have been my guess, at least in comparison to the newer series. But that's not the general opinion I seem to see on the internet.

Major sites like gametrailers listed it as number 7 on there list of top mario games of all time

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/dgy4du/gt-countdown-top-ten-mario-games

beating out all the mario kart games, and quality platformers like mario 3D world etc.

I am not saying their opinion is law. But I am saying that you see mario RPG talked about and listed as one of the greatest mario games all the time. I've never really understood why? I am not trying to make a point, I really am just asking why?
#7SonytendoPosted 7/26/2014 12:51:18 PM
Because Geno is in it. That guy should really be in Smash.
#8FayeLadyPosted 7/26/2014 12:52:48 PM
Part of the larger question: Why was 90's Squaresoft so great?
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#9arstosPosted 7/26/2014 12:54:49 PM
It was made by square and was a more traditional jrpg than any of the games since.
---
PSN:Dragonlibrarian Steam:Dragonlibrarian7 NNID:Dragonlibrarian
#10dankeyspaanPosted 7/26/2014 12:55:55 PM
FayeLady posted...
Part of the larger question: Why was 90's Squaresoft so great?

That's because of secret of mana, ff vi, chrono trigger and the disaster of unreleased games such as seiken densetsu 3. Squaresoft went to **** once they went sony.