Is it just me or is the Super Mario series not that good by platform standards?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it just me or is the Super Mario series not that good by platform standards?
11 months ago#31
Tempest717 posted...
Exploration isn't necessary to a platformer you know...

THANK YOU
---
http://imgur.com/Hwg6GCx http://imgur.com/Oag0IWV http://imgur.com/Z612GMZ
http://imgur.com/aljoKDS
11 months ago#32
Super Mario Galaxy is fantastic. The only thing that could have made it better for me is more exploration, but it was designed wisely with the Wii's limitations in mind. What is left is a gorgeous (but linear) platformer with amazing gravity based gameplay. To say it isn't that good is just a wrong opinion. :-) SM3DW on the other hand, was very underwhelming for me, but it is still a great deal of fun IMO. I hope the next Mario Platformer gives us what I have wanted since Wii U was announced. An open-world Mario with great exploration, secrets and gameplay in HD. The Wii U can finally deliver this kind of experience.
---
You want Wii Truth?! You can't handle Wii Truth!!!
11 months ago#33
Starwars4J posted...
Galaxy 1 and 2 are the highest rated exclusives games of the last generation and only under the GTAIV multiplats overall. lmao at trolls outing themselves by saying it isn't a good game

Note that GTA4 is generally considered to be massively overrated. Professional reviewers basically grade 100% on hype / name recognition and accessibility. Super Mario Galaxy is extremely easy and linear so no reviewers weren't able to figure out how to play, but longtime platformer fans looking for challenge or variety are out of luck.

Tempest717 posted...

It's not, but linearity + repetition is generally a bad combo, especially when there's also no challenge to go with it. The "stars" progression system was invented for Mario 64 because it let them scatter multiple objectives throughout a wide-open level, but when the levels are totally linear it just results in needless repetition as you cross the same obstacles again and again for each star. Super Mario 3D World correctly recognizes that to do a linear game in 3D each mission needs to be a distinct level and as such it stays fresh far longer.

NintendoLover25 posted...
The Super Mario series has tons of very highly rated games and top sellers, I don't see how it's not good by any measurable standards.

So do Call of Duty, Mario Kart, and Final Fantasy but they aren't always at the top of their genres either. The most popular game in genre is actually rarely the best one, simply because their popularity often prevents them from trying anything too bold with game mechanics.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
11 months ago#34
Super Mario Bros. IS the platforming standard.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
11 months ago#35
Terotrous posted...
It's not, but linearity + repetition is generally a bad combo, especially when there's also no challenge to go with it. The "stars" progression system was invented for Mario 64 because it let them scatter multiple objectives throughout a wide-open level, but when the levels are totally linear it just results in needless repetition as you cross the same obstacles again and again for each star. Super Mario 3D World correctly recognizes that to do a linear game in 3D each mission needs to be a distinct level and as such it stays fresh far longer.

You can't be serious. Super Mario Galaxy has tons of variety, even within individual Galaxies. For example, in one mission of Toy Time Galaxy, you mess around with purple gravity surfaces and climb up a colossal toy version of Bowser, and in another, you jump around on food themed planetoids and giant cakes and whatnot. Galaxy also has more variety within individual missions than 3D World does. 3D World is just less subtle about it's variety.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
11 months ago#36
Iokua posted...
It's just you.

---
Forgive spelling issues.
11 months ago#37
Stanger5150 posted...
Super Mario Bros. IS the platforming standard.

---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767 NNID: Seadrake
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666
11 months ago#38
I agree. SMB is like the medium baseline that bad platforms can't quite reach and any decent ones surpass.
---
3DS FC: 4382-3271-9747
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, and Braixen.
11 months ago#39
guedesbrawl posted...
Tempest717 posted...

but it's incredibly great to have. it expands on the level design by giving you alternate routes (sonic) or to hide cool, meaningful secrets (DK/Kirby)

It could also greatly limit design. Castlevania wouldn't be what it is if it had that. Same with Ninja Gaiden NES 1-3
---
'[Blue], call me whatever feels right on your keyboard.' - Marsford
'I didn't bother to read any of that since you have bad taste in games.' - KGTrigger
11 months ago#40
The Mario series is still THE platforming standard in the industry.

The "New" Series may not be that great, but that's by Mario standards. So many Mario games do things better than those games, but that doesn't mean they are bad games from an industry standpoint. They're competently designed overall.

Sure, you wouldn't play NSMB over stuff like Origins, DKC Returns, 3D World, Tropical Freeze, 3D World or the Classic Marios, but you'd definitely play them over generic tripe.
---
This is the worst bird yet.
3DS FC 3265-6316-1192
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Is it just me or is the Super Mario series not that good by platform standards?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived