Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?

#1GamingLabletPosted 7/29/2014 5:43:58 PM
I dont get it. You fight opponents. The goal is to win. It has fighting game elements. It's not a traditional fighter, but it's still a fighting game

why do people argue it isn't a fighter? ridiculous comments such as "it's a brawler or party game" make me facepalm.
#2TomoEK9Posted 7/29/2014 5:48:05 PM
Because it doesn't have traditional fighting game mechanics and in its main focus is on the casual level 4-player brawl rather than a more standard 1v1.
#3NintendoLover25Posted 7/29/2014 5:49:35 PM
I think they mean a traditional fighter like Street Fighter or Mortal Combat. It's pretty different from those. Think of Mario Kart compared to traditional racing games like Gran Turismo.
#4The_Shadow_LinkPosted 7/29/2014 5:50:24 PM
General play is not Competitive friendly.

At least 4 is finally seeing fit to add some competitive modes.
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#5IokuaPosted 7/29/2014 5:52:28 PM(edited)
It's not. Smash, by its very nature, is a party game.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#6HeavyLobsterXLPosted 7/29/2014 5:55:47 PM
NintendoLover25 posted...
I think they mean a traditional fighter like Street Fighter or Mortal Combat. It's pretty different from those. Think of Mario Kart compared to traditional racing games like Gran Turismo.

---
Hey look! It's Kid Icarus from the Pit series! 100% Kirby approved! (b^_^b)
#7StopthinkPosted 7/29/2014 5:55:53 PM
Wii UActionFighting3D
#8NintendoLover25Posted 7/29/2014 5:59:17 PM
I agree with this site that Smash Bros is of a different form of fighter than the traditional ones.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlatformFighter
#9n00bsaib0tPosted 7/29/2014 6:11:59 PM
If Smash isn't a fighter for not being "traditional" then neither are any of the beloved Marvel games.

Oh and Guilty Gear Isuka wasn't a fighter either because it's 1v1v1v1. Hell, Guilty Gear breaks standard juggle rules in general and has crazy air combos and relaunches like Marvel. Guilty Gear isn't a fighter, which means Blazblue isn't either.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#10TomoEK9Posted 7/29/2014 6:13:55 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
If Smash isn't a fighter for not being "traditional" then neither are any of the beloved Marvel games.

Oh and Guilty Gear Isuka wasn't a fighter either because it's 1v1v1v1. Hell, Guilty Gear breaks standard juggle rules in general and has crazy air combos and relaunches like Marvel. Guilty Gear isn't a fighter, which means Blazblue isn't either.

wat.

Marvel may have teams of 3 characters but the core game is 1v1 as in 1 player versus 1 player.

Isuka barely qualifies as a fighting game and was their attempt to branch out into a more party style game like Smash Bros.

There is no such thing as "standard air juggling" so I don't know what kind of garbage you are trying to pull from your ass.