Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?

User Info: GamingLablet

GamingLablet
2 years ago#1
I dont get it. You fight opponents. The goal is to win. It has fighting game elements. It's not a traditional fighter, but it's still a fighting game

why do people argue it isn't a fighter? ridiculous comments such as "it's a brawler or party game" make me facepalm.

User Info: TomoEK9

TomoEK9
2 years ago#2
Because it doesn't have traditional fighting game mechanics and in its main focus is on the casual level 4-player brawl rather than a more standard 1v1.

User Info: NintendoLover25

NintendoLover25
2 years ago#3
I think they mean a traditional fighter like Street Fighter or Mortal Combat. It's pretty different from those. Think of Mario Kart compared to traditional racing games like Gran Turismo.

User Info: The_Shadow_Link

The_Shadow_Link
2 years ago#4
General play is not Competitive friendly.

At least 4 is finally seeing fit to add some competitive modes.
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~

User Info: Iokua

Iokua
2 years ago#5
It's not. Smash, by its very nature, is a party game.
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.

User Info: HeavyLobsterXL

HeavyLobsterXL
2 years ago#6
NintendoLover25 posted...
I think they mean a traditional fighter like Street Fighter or Mortal Combat. It's pretty different from those. Think of Mario Kart compared to traditional racing games like Gran Turismo.
Hey look! It's Kid Icarus from the Pit series! 100% Kirby approved! (b^_^b)

User Info: Stopthink

Stopthink
2 years ago#7
Wii UActionFighting3D

User Info: NintendoLover25

NintendoLover25
2 years ago#8
I agree with this site that Smash Bros is of a different form of fighter than the traditional ones.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlatformFighter

User Info: n00bsaib0t

n00bsaib0t
2 years ago#9
If Smash isn't a fighter for not being "traditional" then neither are any of the beloved Marvel games.

Oh and Guilty Gear Isuka wasn't a fighter either because it's 1v1v1v1. Hell, Guilty Gear breaks standard juggle rules in general and has crazy air combos and relaunches like Marvel. Guilty Gear isn't a fighter, which means Blazblue isn't either.
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile

User Info: TomoEK9

TomoEK9
2 years ago#10
n00bsaib0t posted...
If Smash isn't a fighter for not being "traditional" then neither are any of the beloved Marvel games.

Oh and Guilty Gear Isuka wasn't a fighter either because it's 1v1v1v1. Hell, Guilty Gear breaks standard juggle rules in general and has crazy air combos and relaunches like Marvel. Guilty Gear isn't a fighter, which means Blazblue isn't either.

wat.

Marvel may have teams of 3 characters but the core game is 1v1 as in 1 player versus 1 player.

Isuka barely qualifies as a fighting game and was their attempt to branch out into a more party style game like Smash Bros.

There is no such thing as "standard air juggling" so I don't know what kind of garbage you are trying to pull from your ass.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived