Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?

#31donkeyjackPosted 7/29/2014 6:58:20 PM
HermeticJustice posted...
Granadico_ posted...
Metroid Prime is an FPS

wrong

LMAO this.
---
http://imgur.com/Hwg6GCx http://imgur.com/Oag0IWV http://imgur.com/Z612GMZ
http://imgur.com/aljoKDS
#32Granadico_Posted 7/29/2014 6:59:20 PM
TomoEK9 posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

Marvel plays nothing like your traditional fighters. It's nothing like SF, MK, KOF, AOF, FF, SS, etc. Its not even remotely a traditional fighter.
If Marvel is a traditional fighter, so is Smash.
But neither is a traditional fighter. Both are still fighting games though.

No and no.
By your ill-conceived logic, since none of those games play like each other, none of them are traditional fighters.
What makes a traditional fighter?
-1v1 combat
-health bars
-round counters
Those are the standards for every fighting game you just listed right there, along with games like Tekken and Virtua Fighter.
Something Smash Bros. does not have in common with any game on that last.
Think before you make an asinine argument.

So if people played Final Destination, 1v1, Stamina Mode, with each stock being a "round", would it be a traditional fighter?
---
Call me Granny
Currently playing: Xenoblade (Wii), Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), and slowly but sure Half-Life 2 (PC) | NNID/Steam/etc:Granadico
#33krillensPosted 7/29/2014 6:59:45 PM
smash brothers... a game where you select a character and fight mano y mano against other characters

its a figher
---
i7-2700K @ 3.5ghz | 8GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 | 250GB SSD
PS4 | Wii U | 3DS
#34mashuPosted 7/29/2014 7:03:22 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Half the s***ty fighting games that exist don't have the complexity, counters and balance that competitive fighters have. Gundam Battle Assault is still a fighting game despite that. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is still a fighting game. Smash is still a fighting game.

Right. But when people say Smash is not a fighting game they're comparing it to more traditional fighters, not Gundam Battle Assault. The genre is too wide to just say "fighting." I can just as easily call Streets of Rage 2 a fighting game as well as Dynasty Warriors 8 by some definitions. There's brawler, action, tourney, and party-style fighters to name a few one might sub-categorize, and I would place Smash in a more party-style fighter category than anything else. Street Fighter 2, Sould Calibur, Tekken etc it is not. Pretty easy to agree on that. That's where some people are coming from. And I agree. Doesn't make Smash any less fun.
#35HermeticJusticePosted 7/29/2014 7:05:46 PM
Granadico_ posted...
Granadico_ posted...
Metroid Prime is an FPS

wrong

I see you didn't read the entire post

it is a FPA

the only difference between Metroid and Metroid Prime, is that Metroid is third person, and is in 2D

calling Metroid Prime a first person shooter because it is in first person and you can shoot things is asinine

might as well put Metroid in the same genre as Contra
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#36n00bsaib0tPosted 7/29/2014 7:12:09 PM
Granadico_ posted...
Granadico_ posted...
Metroid Prime is an FPS

wrong

it is a FPA

the only difference between Metroid and Metroid Prime, is that Metroid is third person, and is in 2D

calling Metroid Prime a first person shooter because it is in first person and you can shoot things is asinine

---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013

You mean platformer? Metroidvania isn't a genre no matter how much people want it to be. Metroid is a platformer. Metroid Prime is an FPS.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#37gamebuyer22Posted 7/29/2014 7:13:00 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#38gamebuyer22Posted 7/29/2014 7:13:40 PM
Smash falls more in line with an arcade style beat em up than an actual 1 vs 1 technical fighter. Novices could still have success in Smash but would get destroyed in something like Street Fighter.
#39Granadico_Posted 7/29/2014 7:14:22 PM
Granadico_ posted...
Granadico_ posted...
Metroid Prime is an FPS

wrong

it is a FPA

I said its not a traditional FPS. Dont' know why you'd compare it to another shooter (and a bad example anyway).
---
Call me Granny
Currently playing: Xenoblade (Wii), Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), and slowly but sure Half-Life 2 (PC) | NNID/Steam/etc:Granadico
#40n00bsaib0tPosted 7/29/2014 7:16:41 PM
gamebuyer22 posted...
Smash falls more in line with an arcade style beat em up than an actual 1 vs 1 technical fighter. Novices could still have success in Smash but would get destroyed in something like Street Fighter.

Define success. You mean hit your face on the controller and do a combo? Sure. Of course MK9 and Marvel fit that description too. A novice isn't going to luck into success against someone that actually plays competitively in Smash though.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile