Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?
1 year ago#41
gamebuyer22 posted...
Smash falls more in line with an arcade style beat em up than an actual 1 vs 1 technical fighter. Novices could still have success in Smash but would get destroyed in something like Street Fighter.

Exactly. Much more precise than my sort of general rambling that aimed at the same thing.
1 year ago#42
Granadico_ posted...
HermeticJustice posted...
Granadico_ posted...
Granadico_ posted...
Metroid Prime is an FPS

wrong

I see you didn't read the entire post

it is a FPA

the only difference between Metroid and Metroid Prime, is that Metroid is third person, and is in 2D

calling Metroid Prime a first person shooter because it is in first person and you can shoot things is asinine

might as well put Metroid in the same genre as Contra

I said its not a traditional FPS. Dont' know why you'd compare it to another shooter (and a bad example anyway).

I'm saying that just because you can run, gun and jump, doesn't make you a run n gun shmup

and just because you can shot in first person, doesn't make you a FPS
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
1 year ago#43
mashu posted...
Smash falls more in line with an arcade style beat em up than an actual 1 vs 1 technical fighter. Novices could still have success in Smash but would get destroyed in something like Street Fighter.

so you think a novice has a chance at a competitive smash player?

LMAO
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
1 year ago#44
n00bsaib0t posted...
mashu posted...
Iokua posted...
It's not. Smash, by its very nature, is a party game.

^ That. It simply does not have the level of complexity, counters and balance that competitive fighters do. It in no way makes Smash anything of a lessor game however. Just different.

Half the s***ty fighting games that exist don't have the complexity, counters and balance that competitive fighters have. Gundam Battle Assault is still a fighting game despite that. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is still a fighting game. Smash is still a fighting game.

LOL this guy is about to burst in to tears trying so hard to defend Smash.

LMAO
1 year ago#45
mashu posted...

so you think a novice has a chance at a competitive smash player?

LMAO

He didn't say competitive, he's just saying a person who doesn't play video games has a far easier time learning Smash than a traditional fighter (in some aspects that's true)
---
Call me Granny
Currently playing: Xenoblade (Wii), Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), and slowly but sure Half-Life 2 (PC) | NNID/Steam/etc:Granadico
1 year ago#46
lazer_lice posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
mashu posted...
Iokua posted...
It's not. Smash, by its very nature, is a party game.

^ That. It simply does not have the level of complexity, counters and balance that competitive fighters do. It in no way makes Smash anything of a lessor game however. Just different.

Half the s***ty fighting games that exist don't have the complexity, counters and balance that competitive fighters have. Gundam Battle Assault is still a fighting game despite that. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is still a fighting game. Smash is still a fighting game.

LOL this guy is about to burst in to tears trying so hard to defend Smash.

LMAO

At least I can actually defend my stand point. All you have to back up your claim is a weak attempt at insulting me.

And I haven't played smash in 7 years. I'm simply stating that nothing any of you say will change the fact that just like every other non competitive fighter, Smash is a fighter.
---
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
1 year ago#47
Claiming that Smash isn't a fighting game because it's not like traditional fighting games is pretty much like claiming that Sega Rally isn't a racing game because it is not like Project CARS or Gran Turismo.
1 year ago#48
Its a fighting game. Like DBZ Tag Team or the last one, just because it has 4 vs 4 at the same time doesn't make it any less of a fighting game than the previous ones. Its just different.
---
Look at you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
1 year ago#49
Because people are morons.

You fight to determine a winner.

Fighting game simple. Like Racing game

You race to determine a winner.

Now you want to add traditional, casual, party, or what ever other qualifier you want to it so be it but anyone who argues that its not a fighting game has a bug up their ass and just wants to put games in ghettos to make themselves feel better.
---
she got screwed up by religion. she got screwed by soccer players. she got high for the first time in the camps down by the banks of the mississippi river.
1 year ago#50
true
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived