Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?

#91Lefty128kPosted 7/30/2014 10:57:01 AM
Granadico_ posted...
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
At least I can actually defend my stand point. All you have to back up your claim is a weak attempt at insulting me.

And I haven't played smash in 7 years. I'm simply stating that nothing any of you say will change the fact that just like every other non competitive fighter, Smash is a fighter.
---

No, it isn't.

Ladies and Gentlemen Lefty's here to enlighten us!

Such a petulant response. You really must stop being so deeply affected by what I say.
#92HalloIsItMeYourPosted 7/30/2014 10:59:08 AM
GamingLablet posted...
Why do people argue that Smash Bros isn't a fighting game?

Why do people argue about video games on the internet?
#93Granadico_Posted 7/30/2014 11:00:31 AM
Lefty128k posted...
Granadico_ posted...
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
At least I can actually defend my stand point. All you have to back up your claim is a weak attempt at insulting me.

And I haven't played smash in 7 years. I'm simply stating that nothing any of you say will change the fact that just like every other non competitive fighter, Smash is a fighter.
---

No, it isn't.

Ladies and Gentlemen Lefty's here to enlighten us!

Such a petulant response. You really must stop being so deeply affected by what I say.

I'm more affected by the fact that you make statements trying to prove people wrong without proving anything or your own argument.
---
Call me Granny
Currently playing: Xenoblade (Wii), Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), and slowly but sure Half-Life 2 (PC) | NNID/Steam/etc:Granadico
#94n00bsaib0tPosted 7/30/2014 11:49:42 AM
Lefty128k posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

---

No, it isn't.

Unrare footage of Lefty not bothering to actually make a point.

Way to go lefty, you never disappoint.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#95DarkAdonis123Posted 7/30/2014 11:54:03 AM
GamingLablet posted...
I dont get it. You fight opponents. The goal is to win. It has fighting game elements. It's not a traditional fighter, but it's still a fighting game

why do people argue it isn't a fighter? ridiculous comments such as "it's a brawler or party game" make me facepalm.

Sakurai has said on record more than once that Smash isn't a fighting game and is a party game. If he says it's not, it's not. I'm going to take the word of the guy at the helm of the project over a random guy on gamefaqs.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#96Granadico_Posted 7/30/2014 11:58:32 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
GamingLablet posted...
I dont get it. You fight opponents. The goal is to win. It has fighting game elements. It's not a traditional fighter, but it's still a fighting game

why do people argue it isn't a fighter? ridiculous comments such as "it's a brawler or party game" make me facepalm.

Sakurai has said on record more than once that Smash isn't a fighting game and is a party game. If he says it's not, it's not. I'm going to take the word of the guy at the helm of the project over a random guy on gamefaqs.

Instances like these are a real conundrum.
If Kanye West released an album with every characteristic of rap, but claimed it was a Country album, it becomes very complicated of what genre the album is.
I wanna respect the statement of the creator, but its hard to ignore the actual definitions of genres that have been for decades
---
Call me Granny
Currently playing: Xenoblade (Wii), Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), and slowly but sure Half-Life 2 (PC) | NNID/Steam/etc:Granadico
#97n00bsaib0tPosted 7/30/2014 12:06:50 PM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
GamingLablet posted...

---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue

So if I own a restaurant and someone orders the steak but they are brought chicken, but I said its a steak, it's no longer chicken?
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#98TerotrousPosted 7/30/2014 12:08:43 PM
DarkAdonis123 posted...

Sure:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/smashing-the-definition-of-smash-bros/1100-6410475/

"When you boil things down to pure competition, it's not always the most engaging experience. For example, think about the 50-meter dash. This is something that really comes down to speed. You see a lot of people progressing in a linear direction, and the person who is fastest in the beginning is quite often going to be the winner. It's predictable--and while it is pure competition, it's not necessarily engaging in the same way as events with unpredictability. As developers, we have to think about all of these circumstances when designing fighting games."

Straight from the horse's mouth. He calls Smash Bros a fighting game like 5 times throughout the interview.

You may be referring to this quote:

"When planning the development of a new game, I always take a lot of care to discuss the concept and try to define it as best I can. For example, I like to think of Smash as a four-player battle royal action game. You'll notice that's a lot longer than saying it's a fighting game, because 'fighting game' is a completely different label. You can talk about a fighting game or an action game or a racing game, but as soon as you define your game specifically in those terms, you start limiting your creative range because you're thinking of the limitations of that genre. Perhaps the best thing we can do now is start with a concept rather than a genre. If we can do that, perhaps we can grow the whole idea a little bit."

But he's specifically talking about that as being a more specific type of Fighting game rather than something completely different.

Nevertheless, it is true that what Sakurai calls it functionally does not matter. The genre definitions exist outside of the people creating games for them.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#998waystomondayPosted 7/30/2014 12:09:12 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...
GamingLablet posted...

---

So if I own a restaurant and someone orders the steak but they are brought chicken, but I said its a steak, it's no longer chicken?

If a person writes a book and calls it a horror story but then others on the internet call it a action story who's word are you taking more serious.
---
"Sugar enriched flour, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, polysorbate 60 and yellow dye #5. Everything a growin' boy needs."
#100jillwarrenPosted 7/30/2014 12:16:19 PM
Well, there you have it. Two posts going out of their way to say that Mario Party is not a party game, because party game is not a "proper" genre. Well, lets fuel the fire.

The Legend of Zelda... is an Action RPG.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.