Would you rather have a female Link or Zelda be the protagonist of a Zelda Game

#11kcdobbinsPosted 7/29/2014 7:46:08 PM
Jacob46719 posted...
Illuminoius posted...
a female link is good at least for the sake of a change of pace, but apparently changing link's gender is an offensive change (despite all the more dramatic redesigns he's had)

changing link's gender would change the game.

Please elaborate. I do not see how it would change how the game plays fundamentally if the player avatar is a swordsman or a swordswoman. Hyrule does not seem to be an incredibly gendered society, both Zelda and Impa have fought before and used weapons or tools. The character of Link is always a new incarnation in each game that is not a direct sequel. There is absolutely no reason I can see that the Spirit of courage couldn't be reborn into anyone who has the bloodline of the Hero. Just like the Spirit of Wisdom should be able to be reborn into anyone from the bloodline of the Royal family.

I would find it neat to break a little of the Zelda formula. If Link was reborn as a Gerudo warrior, for example, it would allow for more exploration of the Gerudo.

People keep bringing up in these topics that if Nintendo allowed Link to be female it would be unfair to all of the people of color out there that Link could only be white. I would say to let the player customize Link to an extent. He is suppose to be the player's link to the game world, why shouldn't there be a range of skin colors to choose from? It wouldn't change the writing, character reactions or the combat. All it would do is allow more people to immerse themselves into the game a little more.

And before the point of a "Canonical" Link of each game is brought up, I just want to point out that even games like Mass Effect have a canonical male and female Sheppard. There can be a difference between your individual player character and the official character for novelizations and comics and whatnot.
---
"You Killed the Guest."- Sifl-bot Sifl & Olly
We are the Mycon. We respond.
#12TheDuskwalkerPosted 7/29/2014 8:04:20 PM
I really would like a Zelda game or spin-off where you play as Zelda/Sheik, especially since Peach both got her own game and was a selectable character in the newest Mario. Seeing how Omega Force brought her into a action game in Hyrule Warriors makes me want to see that style brought into a actual Zelda title, her rapier style looks like a blast. Would be a good excuse to bring back magic into the series (which hasn't been seen in a main console installment since Wind Waker), and greatly expand on it. Like instead of how Link gets sub-weapons and stuff to get around and beat dungeons, Zelda gets magic and magic upgrades, with magical sub-weapons like her light bow instead of a normal bow. Would also let them experiment with melee combat with her rapier and maybe a ninja style/ninja weapons to represent Sheik.

Something like that sounds more interesting to me than just gender bender Link with the same old fighting style.
---
TTT2: Lili/Jaycee/Asuka; BBCP: Noel/Mu; KOF13: Mai/Leona/Elisabeth; DSR: Morrigan
DOA5U: Kasumi/Hitomi/Sarah/Rachel/Helena; USF4: Juri/Cammy/Chun; SSB: Zelda
#13Jacob46719Posted 7/30/2014 11:20:31 AM
kcdobbins posted...
Jacob46719 posted...
Illuminoius posted...
a female link is good at least for the sake of a change of pace, but apparently changing link's gender is an offensive change (despite all the more dramatic redesigns he's had)

Please elaborate.

I was referring to the feeling of the game. It just wouldn't feel like Zelda anymore.
---
I am a Lucid Dreamer. My favorite Dream activity is shapeshifting. My favorite part is having a tail.
#14crazyj10Posted 7/30/2014 11:27:55 AM
Jacob46719 posted...
kcdobbins posted...
Jacob46719 posted...
Illuminoius posted...

Please elaborate.

I was referring to the feeling of the game. It just wouldn't feel like Zelda anymore.

Right, a (Slightly) higher pitched voice when swinging a sword would change SO much.
---
A game's worth is not measured by it's replay-value, nor it's length, but by the quality of the experience you had while playing.
#15MetroidJunkiePosted 7/30/2014 11:29:43 AM
theFAKEsheridan posted...
And Metroids should be the protagonists of Metroid.

I had an idea of a game that would let you star as a Baby Metroid, never panned out.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#16WickedSickJoshPosted 7/30/2014 11:37:51 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a game with Zelda as the protagonist. THAT would be a game changer. Instead of weapons she would learn new magic that could be used to solve puzzles and whatnot.

Or

There could be a game that takes place during the future part of Ocarina of Time that tells Zelda's side of the story. In an action and maybe stealth-like game, you play in an overworld similar to OOT, and as Sheik you would use your harp similar to Link using his ocarina. There would be dungeons maybe consisting of monsters that Ganon plans on releasing and you have to defeat them...or something
---
Currently playing: Tomodachi Life (3DS), Wonderful 101 (Wii U), WWE 2K14 (PS3)
#17Flare7Posted 7/30/2014 11:38:50 AM
Should either have Zelda be the main character, or allow the player to choose between M/F Link.
#18Granadico_Posted 7/30/2014 11:40:05 AM
SegavsCapcom posted...
Link was meant to be a stand-in for the player. If the game gave us a choice between a male Link and a female Link, than I'd be all for it.

This is the only way it'd make sense to make Link female.
---
Call me Granny
Currently playing: Xenoblade (Wii), Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), and slowly but sure Half-Life 2 (PC) | NNID/Steam/etc:Granadico
#19snake_5036Posted 7/30/2014 11:40:36 AM
Jacob46719 posted...
Illuminoius posted...

yeah now link is gonna have a boob on her and DOUBLE the production costs :/
---
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady.
#20ZarethPosted 7/30/2014 11:42:29 AM
Link is supposed to be a blank slate, a stand in for the player, there should be an M/F option.

Shepard from Mass Effect is sort of a more fleshed-out Link.
---
It's okay, I have no idea who I am either.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295475117601.gif http://i.imgur.com/WOo6wcq.png