Would you rather have a female Link or Zelda be the protagonist of a Zelda Game

#41darkness1018Posted 7/30/2014 5:38:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
Between the 2 female link as the gender shouldn't matter as they are supposed to be an avatar for the player which is why it asks you to input your name in Zelda games so in all honesty the gender should be selectable as not only guys play the game.
If Zelda was the main character she would be a defined character in the game, and wouldn't serve the same purpose.

I just input the name Link, as does my wife when she plays & even she doesn't want a female Link.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 3DS XL FC: 0490-6058-6459
Systems I own: PS3, PS4, PSP, PSV, Original Xbox, 3DS XL, Wii
#42Muljo StphoPosted 7/30/2014 6:46:24 PM
The phrase "female Link" makes no sense whatsoever. There could most certainly be a female hero. (Zelda or Impa as the hero would probably call for a pretty significant change in gameplay. Ashei would make sense with pretty similar gameplay as Link though.) But she would not be Link and it would be pretty damn lazy and stupid for them to try to pass her off as the same character.

(Ashei really is pretty similar to him already. Doesn't talk much, small town / isolated upbringing, skilled with a sword. We pretty much already have a female equivalent to Link that could be used as a model for a female hero in the series. And where there are differences between Link and Ashei (raised in forest environment vs raised in mountain environment, orphan raised by extended family vs raised by her own father) they can try to explore some differences in how those characters would perceive the world and how others would react to them.)

Ultimate compromise in this whole stupid debate though: Should they ever actually take the lazy/sexist route and just slap some boobs on a guy, those who don't mind having a guy's name on her can leave the character's name as Link while those that want to think of her as a separate character can just rename her as Aryll or whatever else. Likewise, should they ever decide to add a gender option with a choice between Link and Zelda / Impa / Ashei / Aryll / someone new... Those who wanted "tradition" with their gender swap can just slap the name Link on the female character and pretend it's still him while those who appreciate the new character can leave her name alone.
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#43anonmanPosted 7/30/2014 7:31:55 PM
why not both? Doesn't have to be one.
---
No one can face Censored Sensei!
#44SuperNeonManGuyPosted 7/30/2014 7:54:21 PM
NEITHER. i'd rather have the normal male androgynous link be the main protagonist of ALL TLoZ games. if people do generate enough talk for zelda to get her own game i'd rather it be seperate, with it's own name, it's own plot, it's own gameplay.

there is no point in making link female for the sake of it. if it isn't part of the story and it isnt necessary for gameplay then it just isn't necessary. link has never been customisable to this extent before and he doesn't need to be now. Zelda isn't Mass Effect, Zelda isn't Skyrim.

You didn't hear people saying...
"Would you rather have a female Master Chief or Cortana be the protagonist of a Halo game?"
or...
"Would you rather have a Male Samus or Ridley be the protagonist of a Metroid game?"
---
NNID: TallPerson
#45sumostickfigurePosted 7/30/2014 8:06:08 PM
SuperNeonManGuy posted...
"Would you rather have a female Master Chief or Cortana be the protagonist of a Halo game?"
or...
"Would you rather have a Male Samus or Ridley be the protagonist of a Metroid game?"

Link isn't the same person from game to game, though. Link being more customizable or even simply being female for a game or two wouldn't be the same as making Master Chief female or Samus male.
---
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif
#46SuperNeonManGuyPosted 7/30/2014 9:39:50 PM
sumostickfigure posted...
or...

Link isn't the same person from game to game, though. Link being more customizable or even simply being female for a game or two wouldn't be the same as making Master Chief female or Samus male.

he's not always the exact same person yes but he is always designed to look more or less the same, most of the design changes are due to artstyle. link may not be one person but his "character" is established as male. all of the zeldas arent the same person but she's established as a female and i dont think that it should be changed.
---
NNID: TallPerson
#47kcdobbinsPosted 7/30/2014 11:17:03 PM
NEITHER. i'd rather have the normal male androgynous link be the main protagonist of ALL TLoZ games. if people do generate enough talk for zelda to get her own game i'd rather it be seperate, with it's own name, it's own plot, it's own gameplay.

there is no point in making link female for the sake of it. if it isn't part of the story and it isnt necessary for gameplay then it just isn't necessary. link has never been customisable to this extent before and he doesn't need to be now. Zelda isn't Mass Effect, Zelda isn't Skyrim.

or...

So you are saying that Zelda should never be the main character of a game titled "The Legend of Zelda"? Got it.

I consider being able to customize Link's name from the very first game to be an indication that some level of customization has always been a part of the Legend of Zelda. I don't see why Link needs to be male for purposes of story or gameplay, and if it isn't necessary for story or gameplay then it just isn't necessary. The Hero is always reincarnated in his bloodline to fight evil. What if one time Evil was resurrected the only bloodline descendant was female? Would evil just wait around until she had a boy and he reached the age to hold a sword?

You also could not choose the gender of the player character in the first two Pokemon games. When they added the choice it was a good move and increased player immersion slightly without changing the gameplay or the plot in any way.
---
"You Killed the Guest."- Sifl-bot Sifl & Olly
We are the Mycon. We respond.
#48XImperialDragonPosted 7/31/2014 5:50:09 AM
Zelda can't wield the master sword, so I'm going with female Link on this one.

Whether the name of the series is The Legend of Zelda is neither here nor there. Metroids aren't the main protagonists of metroid, Olimar is the player character in Pikmin, Shulk is the main character of Xenoblade, so on, so forth. The character in the title doesn't necessarily have to be the playable character.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#49MetroidJunkiePosted 7/31/2014 6:00:54 AM
I'd rather not have a gender bent Link, and nowhere in the legend does it say that Zelda and Link can't switch roles for a generation.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#50Ghost-inZeShellPosted 7/31/2014 6:04:18 AM
Zelda

anyone who says female Link is wrong.