Would you rather have a female Link or Zelda be the protagonist of a Zelda Game

#51blunderminePosted 7/31/2014 6:09:31 AM
They could do more with the story with Zelda as the protagonist. Link is pretty androgynous as it is and his gender doesn't play much of a factor in plots. With Zelda it would give a totally different point of view for the story.
---
Next Gen's system names:
PlayStation 5, Xbox Zero, Thwii
#52super_taco_ftwPosted 7/31/2014 6:10:41 AM
As Link is just an avatar, I think Female Link should be an option.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0774-4505-2766 (Excadrill/Klang/Mawile)
"I'll take a potato chip, AND EAT IT!"- Light Yagami
#53IlluminoiusPosted 7/31/2014 6:24:49 AM
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
Between the 2 female link as the gender shouldn't matter as they are supposed to be an avatar for the player which is why it asks you to input your name in Zelda games so in all honesty the gender should be selectable as not only guys play the game.

this is always a really bad excuse
link has his own personality and makes his own decisions regardless of the player's input (at times)
"he's an avatar" doesn't mean anything and basically never has meant anything with silent protagonists
#54MetroidJunkiePosted 7/31/2014 6:37:27 AM
Illuminoius posted...

this is always a really bad excuse
link has his own personality and makes his own decisions regardless of the player's input (at times)
"he's an avatar" doesn't mean anything and basically never has meant anything with silent protagonists

Not to mention, Link may be reincarnated but he's still a recognizable established character with defined traits. The Legend of Zelda series has never been about choosing what you want Link to look like and, really, it shouldn't matter. If you can't immerse yourself into an experience unless you're playing as a girl, then maybe the problem is on you for expecting that in a franchise that has never been about that. Also, if you want more female characters, slapping breasts on Link is a horrible way to do it. If you can't have a female character who stands strong on her own two feet without piggybacking off the success of an existing male character, then that kind of sends the message to women that they'll never get anywhere in life without a man to leap off of.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#55XImperialDragonPosted 7/31/2014 9:24:56 AM
MetroidJunkie posted...
I'd rather not have a gender bent Link, and nowhere in the legend does it say that Zelda and Link can't switch roles for a generation.

Yeah, it does. Go play Skyward Sword, because the reincarnation of the Goddess Hylia cannot use the Master Sword, meaning that the goddess's champion must be of the Hero bloodline. Link can be male or female, but Zelda will never be able to do what Link does because she paved the way for Link to do everything he does.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#56Virus66Posted 7/31/2014 9:27:41 AM
I see no reason why Link should swap genders when Zelda can fight just fine.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
I'm a living contradiction. I own a PS3 and a Wii U. A 3DS and a Vita. And the catch to that? I enjoy them all!
#57sumostickfigurePosted 7/31/2014 10:49:34 AM
XImperialDragon posted...
MetroidJunkie posted...
I'd rather not have a gender bent Link, and nowhere in the legend does it say that Zelda and Link can't switch roles for a generation.

Yeah, it does. Go play Skyward Sword, because the reincarnation of the Goddess Hylia cannot use the Master Sword, meaning that the goddess's champion must be of the Hero bloodline. Link can be male or female, but Zelda will never be able to do what Link does because she paved the way for Link to do everything he does.

Eh... to be fair, it's not like Link has never had a game where he didn't get the Master Sword and it's not like there aren't other comparably powerful or legendary swords throughout the series.
---
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif
#58MetroidJunkiePosted 7/31/2014 10:49:35 AM

Where does it say that Zelda can't use the Master Sword? For that matter, why do we need to keep using the Master Sword? Zelda can still use her arrows of light and they seem to also be capable of inflicting great harm on Ganondorf, or whoever the next villain ends up becoming.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#59XImperialDragonPosted 7/31/2014 11:04:08 AM(edited)
MetroidJunkie posted...

Where does it say that Zelda can't use the Master Sword? For that matter, why do we need to keep using the Master Sword? Zelda can still use her arrows of light and they seem to also be capable of inflicting great harm on Ganondorf, or whoever the next villain ends up becoming.

Hyrule Historia and Skyward Sword both say only the Hero can use the master sword, meaning Zelda can't add she's the reincarnation of Hylian, who made the sword for the hero to use to defeat her nemesis.

She can harm Ganondorf like crazy, but she can't use the sword. It's not a big deal, as Zelda is easily the most important character in the series and Hylia basically is the only reason Link is relevant, but she can't use the sword once it's awakened. No one can but the Hero.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#60Pink_a_DinkPosted 7/31/2014 11:05:45 AM
Why the hell would there be an option to play as a female Link? That's as random as it gets. Might as well make a female Mario too. And a female Donkey Kong.
---
My reaction when stupid people say stupid things - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVhfdduwfo
The Wii U board is seriously just awful.