Why haven't we seen a true TTYD sequel yet?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why haven't we seen a true TTYD sequel yet?
11 months ago#21
R_Hunter posted...
_Luiginator_ posted...
"If it ain't broke, break it trying to fix it."
-Nintendo's motto

Blame the fans. SPM took TTYD which had a grand story, and turned it into a RPG platformer with a grander story. Most say it was good, but certain aspects were weak (the flip ability, pixels being subpar replacements for partners..)

How did the fans react? They trashed it. They panned it. They claimed it ate their families.

Miyamoto then went to IS and suggested toning down the story since it too was panned by the fans at the time. Nintendo also suggested not adding so many unique characters.

That's all they did. IS still could have used the established Mario characters like Yoshi, the Wario Bros, Birdo, and the others. They chose not to. They could have included a better story, even if a lighter one. They chose not to. They could have made the puzzles better, or the humor...

You see where i'm going with this. IS bears the larger share of the fault since it was their hurdle to overcome and they did not even try.

But at the core, it falls to those that whined about SPM. It was thanks to them that we got the direction that eventually turned into SS.

I prefer SS to SPM, but your logic is faulty. IS could have gone back to PM/TYD.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
11 months ago#22
I thought it was pretty clear that Miyamoto prevented IS from making Sticker Star into our dream Paper Mario game? That talk about Club Nintendo is rubbish. That never happened!
11 months ago#23
Sinfullyvannila posted...
R_Hunter posted...
_Luiginator_ posted...
"If it ain't broke, break it trying to fix it."
-Nintendo's motto

Blame the fans. SPM took TTYD which had a grand story, and turned it into a RPG platformer with a grander story. Most say it was good, but certain aspects were weak (the flip ability, pixels being subpar replacements for partners..)

How did the fans react? They trashed it. They panned it. They claimed it ate their families.

Miyamoto then went to IS and suggested toning down the story since it too was panned by the fans at the time. Nintendo also suggested not adding so many unique characters.

That's all they did. IS still could have used the established Mario characters like Yoshi, the Wario Bros, Birdo, and the others. They chose not to. They could have included a better story, even if a lighter one. They chose not to. They could have made the puzzles better, or the humor...

You see where i'm going with this. IS bears the larger share of the fault since it was their hurdle to overcome and they did not even try.

But at the core, it falls to those that whined about SPM. It was thanks to them that we got the direction that eventually turned into SS.

I prefer SS to SPM, but your logic is faulty. IS could have gone back to PM/TYD.

Exactly. Which proves what I said right. They could have turned SS into something better. What it turned out as is their fault. Not Miyamoto. He did not demand anything, only suggested. And they could have done better. That's the thing no one gets.

"Oh we can't make original characters? Ok let's use Wario and others." They didn't.

"Oh we can't have a big story like SPM? Ok Paper Mario's was small but was well liked let's go with a variant of that." Didn't happen.

Miyamoto didn't tell them to get lazy. That was entirely their doing.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Trolls gonna troll.
11 months ago#24
Then don't pass the buck onto the people who disliked SPM.
---
11 months ago#25
Sinfullyvannila posted...
Then don't pass the buck onto the people who disliked SPM.

If they hadn't moaned and whined, Miyamoto wouldn't have visited, and IS wouldn't have had to change direction.

I am entirely within my rights to blame them and I will continue to do so. The irony here is that it's thanks to them that Miyamoto "ruined" the game by making his suggestions.
---
I claim my time is valuable. I visit GF. I was wrong.
11 months ago#26
Well, by that logic, if the next Paper Mario ends up worse, it's all your fault for complaining about SS.
---
11 months ago#27
Yes it would, and i'd be man enough to admit it. And if it does turn out worse, i'll apologize on whichever system board I need to. I'll promise that here.

If it turns out better, then we'll all be happy. But I doubt i'll be given an apology from the SPM haters.
---
I claim my time is valuable. I visit GF. I was wrong.
11 months ago#28
Nobody owes you an apology for disliking SPM.
---
11 months ago#29
Heh. Seeing as it resulted in SS, I respectfully disagree. But we'll stop here.

To put this back on topic, I suppose we'll see if a new PM is in the works. I'd like to say the stage in Smash is a hint of something, but truthfully it's just fanservice.
---
Trolls gonna troll.
11 months ago#30
Why are so many English words spelt stupidly? We'll never know, it's just the way the world is.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why haven't we seen a true TTYD sequel yet?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived