Why haven't we seen a true TTYD sequel yet?

#31Juju_Architect_Posted 7/31/2014 10:08:09 AM(edited)
R_Hunter posted...
_Luiginator_ posted...
"If it ain't broke, break it trying to fix it."
-Nintendo's motto

Blame the fans. SPM took TTYD which had a grand story, and turned it into a RPG platformer with a grander story. Most say it was good, but certain aspects were weak (the flip ability, pixels being subpar replacements for partners..)

How did the fans react? They trashed it. They panned it. They claimed it ate their families.

Miyamoto then went to IS and suggested toning down the story since it too was panned by the fans at the time. Nintendo also suggested not adding so many unique characters.

That's all they did. IS still could have used the established Mario characters like Yoshi, the Wario Bros, Birdo, and the others. They chose not to. They could have included a better story, even if a lighter one. They chose not to. They could have made the puzzles better, or the humor...

You see where i'm going with this. IS bears the larger share of the fault since it was their hurdle to overcome and they did not even try.

But at the core, it falls to those that whined about SPM. It was thanks to them that we got the direction that eventually turned into SS.

That's not "all they did". Tell me what toning down the story has to do with no badges, no partners, dumbing down action commands, no proper levelling system and thus motivating players to avoid battles when they didn't need money...
---
Cavorting about affixing Gogol Horns to houses does not constitute looking after an entire colony, Juju. -Dunban
#32R_HunterPosted 7/31/2014 10:43:09 AM
Juju_Architect_ posted...
R_Hunter posted...
_Luiginator_ posted...
"If it ain't broke, break it trying to fix it."
-Nintendo's motto

Blame the fans. SPM took TTYD which had a grand story, and turned it into a RPG platformer with a grander story. Most say it was good, but certain aspects were weak (the flip ability, pixels being subpar replacements for partners..)

How did the fans react? They trashed it. They panned it. They claimed it ate their families.

Miyamoto then went to IS and suggested toning down the story since it too was panned by the fans at the time. Nintendo also suggested not adding so many unique characters.

That's all they did. IS still could have used the established Mario characters like Yoshi, the Wario Bros, Birdo, and the others. They chose not to. They could have included a better story, even if a lighter one. They chose not to. They could have made the puzzles better, or the humor...

You see where i'm going with this. IS bears the larger share of the fault since it was their hurdle to overcome and they did not even try.

But at the core, it falls to those that whined about SPM. It was thanks to them that we got the direction that eventually turned into SS.

That's not "all they did". Tell me what toning down the story has to do with no badges, no partners, dumbing down action commands, no proper levelling system and thus motivating players to avoid battles when they didn't need money...

That was IS's doing.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#33Pink_a_DinkPosted 7/31/2014 10:56:08 AM
SPM was fun. Get over it. They tried to do something innovative and it was successful. Not every game has to be a exact rehash of its earlier games.
---
My reaction when stupid people say stupid things - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVhfdduwfo
The Wii U board is seriously just awful.
#34Hirokey123Posted 7/31/2014 11:03:25 AM(edited)
Pretty much IS has proved at this point they don't know how to make a proper paper mario game sequel. They've taken the game in two totally opposite spectrums SPM and SS and neither of those is a proper follow up to TTYD. I don't think any Paper Mario game is bad but IS doesn't really deserve another chance to make the next paper mario game, at least not immediately anyway.

At this point they only were able to make one by removing nearly everything "mario" from it or be totally lost on what to do when they had to make use of the vast array of pre-existing mario things. It's like they they totally missed how they hit the perfect medium between the two in TTTYD. Doesn't help that the new guy in charge of the IS team now has never worked on a paper mario game and decided right near the start of development that returning elements of previous paper mario games should be minimum.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#35SinfullyvannilaPosted 7/31/2014 12:12:10 PM(edited)
Pink_a_Dink posted...
SPM was fun. Get over it. They tried to do something innovative and it was successful. Not every game has to be a exact rehash of its earlier games.

It's not that big a deal to me, but it was not fun. That was my problem with it. The story was good, but there was just not enough challenge to it, which there at least needs to be a little if there was some platformer elements to it. It made me fall asleep playing it. I'm not exaggerating, I literally fell asleep while playing it.

The game was a big disappointment to me. I'm not acting like it killed my family like most SS haters seem to do, but I'm not going to say it was fun or good when it very much bored me. If you like it, hey, that's awesome. I don't though.
---
Yes, said game is worth $5. {3DS Friend Code 3050-7626-8586}
#36Bahamut_10thPosted 8/1/2014 9:36:31 AM
Pink_a_Dink posted...

It sold less than 2m in a system with a large installbase.
---
The Rolling Western deserves a big budget sequel. People who agree: 6