WiiU has been crushing the PS4 almost every week*, why isn't it getting JRPGs?!

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. WiiU has been crushing the PS4 almost every week*, why isn't it getting JRPGs?!
10 months ago#21
Because 3DS and Vita sell more in Japan.
---
http://backloggery.com/kdog254 http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/Ouya/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
10 months ago#22
Terotrous posted...
Street_Overlord posted...
Playstation consoles have been the undisputed kings of JRPGs. Every single gen. Maybe that's why

It's either very debatable or flat out untrue last gen depending on whether you allow handhelds or not.

Anyway I suspect the real answer is that Nintendo needs to be greasing a few more palms than they currently are. There's no logical reason to put a game like KH3 on XBox One and not Wii U, the only explanation is that they paid some money to make it happen.

Or maybe because the series has never been on a home Nintendo console. Same thing with Xbox until One. Square Enix doesn't see the potential in Wii U, unless you count the rabid Internet fanboys.
---
How to ignore people: 1. Click on user's message detail. 2 Scroll to Ignore. 3. Click on Ignore. Boom. You ignore the person's topics and posts.
10 months ago#23
retrogoods posted...
Or maybe because the series has never been on a home Nintendo console. Same thing with Xbox until One. Square Enix doesn't see the potential in Wii U, unless you count the rabid Internet fanboys.

Thank you for defeating your own argument. It hasn't been on XBox either, but that didn't appear to matter, likely because someone got paid off.

It's also had plenty of games on Nintendo handhelds and everyone knows there's a ton of overlap between Nintendo handhelds and consoles.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
10 months ago#24
Because the 3DS, Smart Phones, and even the Vita (well on the more niche side) will get the bulk of them. Now console wise there is no doubt that the PS4 will carry on the torch as the go to system for jrpg. The PS3 suffer the same drought that the PS4 is currently suffering but towards the end it got a lot of jrpgs. I only expect a handful to be on the Wii U. The X1 will only get the big names like FF and KH due to being similar to the PS4.

As for KH3, the X1 is easier to port to than the Wii U. Not to mention the PS4 and X1 share the same audience. There is no money to be made from a Wii U version that they have to spend more time and money on in order to down grade it. Besides KH isn't all that IMO. I don't know why some fans act like its god's gift to gaming. I like the series but it sure as hell not for the story.

Suffice to say the Wii U will also be treated like an unwanted child by SE like many other third party developers. Smart phones, PS4/X1, and the 3DS will always come before the Wii U and even the Vita in their eyes because that is where the money is.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
(edited 0 seconds ago)
10 months ago#25
Terotrous posted...
retrogoods posted...

Thank you for defeating your own argument. It hasn't been on XBox either, but that didn't appear to matter, likely because someone got paid off.

It's also had plenty of games on Nintendo handhelds and everyone knows there's a ton of overlap between Nintendo handhelds and consoles.

More like Square Enix sees the potential in Xbox One. I'm talking about home consoles, not the f***** handhelds. Why do you think I put in my post, home Nintendo consoles? Sorry your precious Nintendo is suffering from awful sales due to bad marketing and high price for the hardware. There's really no reason for 3rd parties to put games on Wii U.
---
How to ignore people: 1. Click on user's message detail. 2 Scroll to Ignore. 3. Click on Ignore. Boom. You ignore the person's topics and posts.
10 months ago#26
Yami_Sasha posted...
well 3DS does far better than Vita yet Vita gets a lot of RPGs that the 3DS doesn't...

Like what, though? Alright, Vita has Persona 4G and FFX/-2... and then? We're only counting JRPGs here, since this conversation is in the context of Japan. And I genuinely can't think of any other JRPGs on the Vita. Does Ys count, or is that an ARPG? From what I gather, the Vita is mainly a PS3 port and Monster Hunter-clone machine. And that last part isn't necessarily a bad thing--I'm addicted to God Eater.

But the fact of the matter is the Wii U continues to get the shaft in the third party department. I can understand the hate from the Western devs, since they make over budgeted, photo realistic graphics that need the extra horsepower. But TC makes a fair point: the U has consistently outsold the PS3/4 for a significant amount of time. You'd think someone would announce a JRPG or two. If at least a port.
---
"Love, hope, faith. The greatest of these: love."
10 months ago#27
retrogoods posted...
More like Square Enix sees the potential in Xbox One.

If so they're the only ones, especially where Japan is concerned.

I'm talking about home consoles, not the f***** handhelds. Why do you think I put in my post, home Nintendo consoles?

Because you realize that DS is an immediate counterexample to your flimsy argument?

There's really no reason for 3rd parties to put games on Wii U.

Wanting them to sell in Japan is one reason, and Japanese devs tend to care about that.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
10 months ago#28
Because Japan won't matter until PS4 starts selling more than Wii U.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
10 months ago#29
This may be because people in Japan are more fond of playing on handheld devices, hence why all the JRPG makers are focusing on 3DS and phone apps.

Home consoles are not as common in Japan. Handhelds are much favored because they can be played out side while commuting/having breaks/etc.

if you have been to a trip to Japan when a 3DS event is on... You will see 3DS all over the place... lines will exceed GTA sale lines when it came out.

So to appeal to Japan market, a lot of the developers in japan will choose to use their money and time produce a handheld game rather than a console one.
---
FC: 3496-9980-2182
10 months ago#30
It does suck though, because I think the gamepad would be very nice to use in rpgs.
---
"Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error." - Linus Pauling
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. WiiU has been crushing the PS4 almost every week*, why isn't it getting JRPGs?!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived