The wii U keeping outselling the ps4 in the most important place.

#31_The_Hitcher_Posted 7/31/2014 8:32:11 AM
RobJ24 posted...
For people saying the western gaming is better because it's bigger, that's like saying McDonalds is better than a 5 star restaurant because 5 star restaurants don't have billions of locations while McDonald does.

I don't believe anyone has even commented on which market is better, the question is what's more important, and Japan is indisputably far less important than the North American and European markets in just about every metric.
#32MinamoPosted 7/31/2014 8:43:56 AM(edited)
vermilion99 posted...
Also amusing how people still think Japan is the most important region gaming wise.

If the majority of the games you play are Japanese, then Japan is the most important region, because they are going to make the games on whatever is most popular there. Look at the PSP, it got a crapton of pretty good Japanese games even though the system sold like garbage and was pirated to hell and back in the West. Personally, I don't really care for many Western games anymore; my favorite franchises were run into the ground and it's saturated with shooters.

Nothing in the PS4's near future looks like it appeals to Japanese gamers, which is why it's getting outsold by the Wii U and even the PS3 weekly, and I don't see its sales increasing anytime soon. Whereas games like Hyrule Warriors (Japan is crazy for DW games) and Xenoblade X will heavily appeal to the Japanese gamer, so while the Wii U might not come close to either handheld, it'll still get sale bumps here and there, keeping it ahead of the pack. That lead may be enough for smaller Japanese third parties to support it.
#33TediousMattPosted 7/31/2014 8:43:13 AM
_The_Hitcher_ posted...
I don't believe anyone has even commented on which market is better, the question is what's more important, and Japan is indisputably far less important than the North American and European markets in just about every metric.

Unless you like games from Japanese developers.

If you only play games from western studios, more power to you. However, the rest of us want more diversity in our console gaming. Based on the Japanese sales data, if you care about those kind of games you'll only see them on the 3DS, Vita and WiiU. Until the PS4 sales pick up.
The general consensus over there is, the PS4 is a western system for western gamers. You'll have the diehards buy the system, but it won't start selling until it gets Japanese support.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ddyLVul.png < Does anybody have a link like this for Sega?
#34_The_Hitcher_Posted 7/31/2014 8:53:07 AM
TediousMatt posted...
_The_Hitcher_ posted...

If you only play games from western studios, more power to you. However, the rest of us want more diversity in our console gaming. Based on the Japanese sales data, if you care about those kind of games you'll only see them on the 3DS, Vita and WiiU. Until the PS4 sales pick up.
The general consensus over there is, the PS4 is a western system for western gamers. You'll have the diehards buy the system, but it won't start selling until it gets Japanese support.

Hence why I said "just about every metric" rather than "every metric".

Even then, that only really affects games that never get localized, you act like most Japanese developers only care about domestic sales, for many their games sell worldwide.

Since the Wii U isn't region free, potentially having more Japan only games isn't really relevant to anyone outside Japan anyway.

The console market isn't a big deal in Japan these days, acting like doing marginally less terribly there is some huge win for Nintendo is just silly.
#35MinamoPosted 7/31/2014 8:53:51 AM
TediousMatt posted...
_The_Hitcher_ posted...

See, this guy gets it. Are there Japanese gamers who like Western games? Of course, but it sure as hell isn't common. The big PS4 games coming up? Destiny, Evolve, Advanced Warfare, Assassin's Creed, Farcry 4, Dragon Age 3, Gears of Order 1886? Good if you like Western games and shooters, I guess, but those aren't going to move systems in Japan.
#36Neo_HeartlessPosted 7/31/2014 8:58:16 AM
_The_Hitcher_ posted...

You'll probably crucify me for this, but I believe the only reason they're so large right now is because of the "muh gaming crowd" culture that's the in thing right now. While Sony will indeed dominate this gen, and possibly future gens too, I don't believe we're going to see the peaks we saw in consoles past. I predict 50-60 Million for the PS4. A very healthy number though.

You see, people write off Japan as irrelevant, but, being the spiritual home of consoles, it's safer to say that Japan is ahead of the curve in regards to gaming trends. People are afraid of low console sales because they fear they might be mirrored in the west in the future, which is silly, because there will always be a market for video games, and when it eventually condenses and the pretenders go bankrupt, we'll return to a golden age where gaming was actually about the games.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#37TomoEK9Posted 7/31/2014 8:59:13 AM
TediousMatt posted...
_The_Hitcher_ posted...

Well if this gen plays out like the last one. The Japanese will continue to focus their efforts on the PS3 while the west will move onto the PS4. In the end, if they want to go with the largest active player base, the PS3 and 360 are the better options.
#38ps4ponyreturns(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 9:00:19 AM
retrogoods posted...
ps4ponyreturns posted...
vermilion99 posted...
TediousMatt posted...
vermilion99 posted...
Would love to hear how japan is the most important region as far as home consoles are concerned. Please let it be more detailed then simply because the WiiU is selling 8000 consoles a week

Handhelds are also part of the console generation. Just because you don't like them does not mean they are not part of the market.
Nearly half of the dedicated gaming systems on the market are handhelds. In 2013 about half of the systems sold were handhelds.

You need to ignore a major chunk of the market to even claim that Japan is irrelevant. That market is determining the future of handhelds.

The WiiU is a home console. I asked why people think japan is still so important to the home console market. Way to dodge question.

Because it is.

That answer doesn't cut it.

Yes it does
#39retrogoodsPosted 7/31/2014 9:04:17 AM
No it isn't. Just saying because it is doesn't validate it, kid. It doesn't explain why the last few weeks in Japan, it can't even get to or above 10K sales, despite a seller in Mario Kart 8.
---
How to ignore people: 1. Click on user's message detail. 2 Scroll to Ignore. 3. Click on Ignore. Boom. You ignore the person's topics and posts.
#40TomoEK9Posted 7/31/2014 9:04:58 AM
retrogoods posted...
No it isn't. Just saying because it is doesn't validate it, kid. It doesn't explain why the last few weeks in Japan, it can't even get to or above 10K sales, despite a seller in Mario Kart 8.

Because MK8 isn't a system seller, its a slow seller.