The wii U keeping outselling the ps4 in the most important place.

#41MinamoPosted 7/31/2014 8:12:31 AM(edited)
_The_Hitcher_ posted...
you act like most Japanese developers only care about domestic sales, for many their games sell worldwide.

Here's the sad thing: They do only care about domestic sales, as ignorant as that would seem. Valkyria Chronicles is probably the shining example of how Japan only cares about Japan.

I'll give you a little run down: Valkyria Chronicles sold pretty poorly in Japan, pushing a total of about 200k lifetime, but thanks to insane amounts of good word of mouth, it sold pretty great in the West for a niche game, pushing 600k+ in the US. How did Sega react? "Well, we gotta make it more appealing to the Japanese consumers, so lets make the sequel an anime trope-filled school/slice-of-life game and put it on the PSP!" It sold slightly worse in Japan, managing 190k, and of course did abysmally in the West, where it didn't even break 150k between the US and EU. I guess any reasonable developer would realize they F'ed up and would return to the roots of the series, right? Not Sega. They decided the West obviously didn't want Valkyria Chronicles, despite the first one selling better in the US alone than the sequel did worldwide. They returned to the roots alright, and stuffed it on the PSP in Japan only, and refuses a localization to this day.

Want more? 999 sold terribly in Japan, as did Virtues Last Reward. Again through word of mouth the series has picked up a pretty decent following in the West, and the company itself is aware of its sizeable western fanbase. And even though the series sells decently in the west, the final game in the trilogy has been put on hold. Why? Because, and yes, this is what was actually said: "the first two games had not sold well enough in Japan for the third game to be considered likely to be profitable."
#42BloodychessPosted 7/31/2014 8:05:42 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
People are afraid of low console sales because they fear they might be mirrored in the west in the future, which is silly, because there will always be a market for video games, and when it eventually condenses and the pretenders go bankrupt, we'll return to a golden age where gaming was actually about the games.

It'll never happen like that again, even if the mega companies like Sony and Microsoft who treat gaming more like an investment fizzle out, there will be someone else waiting to join the market. It's no secret that there is big money to be made now.
---
WIZARD NEEDS FOOD BADLY
#43retrogoodsPosted 7/31/2014 8:09:39 AM
TomoEK9 posted...
retrogoods posted...
No it isn't. Just saying because it is doesn't validate it, kid. It doesn't explain why the last few weeks in Japan, it can't even get to or above 10K sales, despite a seller in Mario Kart 8.

Because MK8 isn't a system seller, its a slow seller.

Almost 3 million copies though. I'm absolutely confident that people are not convinced worldwide about the Wii U, even in Japan. Without anything else until September with Hyrule Warriors, and around Christmas time with Smash Bros., I'm not sure what else could help, outside of maybe lowering the price.
---
How to ignore people: 1. Click on user's message detail. 2 Scroll to Ignore. 3. Click on Ignore. Boom. You ignore the person's topics and posts.
#44bandit__74Posted 7/31/2014 8:11:09 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
_The_Hitcher_ posted...
I don't believe anyone has even commented on which market is better, the question is what's more important, and Japan is indisputably far less important than the North American and European markets in just about every metric.

You'll probably crucify me for this, but I believe the only reason they're so large right now is because of the "muh gaming crowd" culture that's the in thing right now. While Sony will indeed dominate this gen, and possibly future gens too, I don't believe we're going to see the peaks we saw in consoles past. I predict 50-60 Million for the PS4. A very healthy number though.

You see, people write off Japan as irrelevant, but, being the spiritual home of consoles, it's safer to say that Japan is ahead of the curve in regards to gaming trends. People are afraid of low console sales because they fear they might be mirrored in the west in the future, which is silly, because there will always be a market for video games, and when it eventually condenses and the pretenders go bankrupt, we'll return to a golden age where gaming was actually about the games.

Not really sure what you're getting at. THIS is the golden age of gaming, not years past. Games are much better today than they used to be. Now the best games are a complete experience, gameplay, story, visuals, music. I've been gaming since 1979 and I wouldn't trade this age of gaming for any other, sorry. Just my own personal opinion, of course, but I'm tired of hearing about the nostalgia of the NES/SNES days. Games were lame back then.
#45TediousMattPosted 7/31/2014 8:13:08 AM
_The_Hitcher_ posted...
Even then, that only really affects games that never get localized, you act like most Japanese developers only care about domestic sales, for many their games sell worldwide.

Since the Wii U isn't region free, potentially having more Japan only games isn't really relevant to anyone outside Japan anyway.

The high profile Japanese WiiU games are getting localised. There are few Japan only games on the WiiU, we are only missing Dragon Quest online and Fatal Frame (not even out yet in Japan).

Japanese devs always look at domestic sales first. If the sales are bad, then the game will not get localised. If Nintendo didn't publish 3rd party games, then the 3DS would have been missing quite a few quality titles. All because the 3DS first year sales were so low (for the system and games).
---
http://i.imgur.com/ddyLVul.png < Does anybody have a link like this for Sega?
#46MinamoPosted 7/31/2014 8:15:33 AM
bandit__74 posted...
Neo_Heartless posted...
_The_Hitcher_ posted...
I don't believe anyone has even commented on which market is better, the question is what's more important, and Japan is indisputably far less important than the North American and European markets in just about every metric.

You'll probably crucify me for this, but I believe the only reason they're so large right now is because of the "muh gaming crowd" culture that's the in thing right now. While Sony will indeed dominate this gen, and possibly future gens too, I don't believe we're going to see the peaks we saw in consoles past. I predict 50-60 Million for the PS4. A very healthy number though.

You see, people write off Japan as irrelevant, but, being the spiritual home of consoles, it's safer to say that Japan is ahead of the curve in regards to gaming trends. People are afraid of low console sales because they fear they might be mirrored in the west in the future, which is silly, because there will always be a market for video games, and when it eventually condenses and the pretenders go bankrupt, we'll return to a golden age where gaming was actually about the games.

Not really sure what you're getting at. THIS is the golden age of gaming, not years past.

If shooters and hundreds of garbage indie games are the "golden age," I welcome the return to the dark ages.
#47ps4ponyreturns(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 8:21:17 AM
Minamo posted...
bandit__74 posted...
Neo_Heartless posted...
_The_Hitcher_ posted...

Not really sure what you're getting at. THIS is the golden age of gaming, not years past.

If shooters and hundreds of garbage indie games are the "golden age," I welcome the return to the dark ages.

Lol this
#48bandit__74Posted 7/31/2014 8:26:50 AM
Minamo posted...
bandit__74 posted...
Neo_Heartless posted...
_The_Hitcher_ posted...

Yes, because those are the ONLY two options for games today. that is not a false dichotomy at all. Congratulations, here is a cookie.

At any rate, you are welcome to your opinion, as I am to mine. I just find it ridiculous that people talk about the "golden age" of gaming as if a) that were a real thing and b) there were any consensus whatsoever on what/when that would be.
#49FayeLadyPosted 7/31/2014 8:37:02 AM

Our hearts?
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#50ps4ponyreturns(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 8:54:32 AM
FayeLady posted...

Our hearts?

FayeLady posted...

Our hearts?

Lol