Could Nintendo be going third party soon?

#51sockesockePosted 7/31/2014 2:51:12 PM
94 million is nothing for nintendo. they will make that money back in no time.
---
Tzuba12:Microsoft: Bringing gamers together ONE console at a time.
http://backloggery.com/sockesocke
#52ScarlettailPosted 7/31/2014 2:57:05 PM
trenken posted...
Crazy_tank51 posted...
trenken posted...
Should they? Yes. They could make an absolute fortune, far beyond what they could ever make on their own systems. Destructoid reported they are down to about 5 bil in cash to spend. Thats getting dangerously low.

Will they? Probably not. Not soon anyway. They are a japanese company and japanese companies are very proud, to a fault. They will squander their entire wealth on failed systems before they change their core beliefs as a company, as dumb as that really is.

How will they make a fortune by dropping a huge chunk of revenue (40% of their revenue is from hardware IIRC) and having to pay royalties on Sony/MS systems? Please, enlighten me on that.

Do you have any idea how much money they could make if they made a new 2d mario game for iphone and android devices? An absolute freaking fortune beyond any mario game theyve ever released. Ill bet you it could get 50 million downloads.

Right now you need to buy dedicated hardware just to play them, and they still sell well. 385 million people have iphones alone lmao. You can bet nintendo is very well aware they are severely limiting themselves, but they like to stick to tradition. There is 0 doubt in my mine they will go 3rd party someday as the market changes. That may not be for 10 years, but i really think it will happen.

This is dumb. IOS games are generally not more than $5, regardless of their level of content. Nintendo games now are 30-60, depending on the consoles. They'd have to sell the games for a very small price to compete with the current IOS market. They also lose money on their consoles and accessories like controllers, and they are limited in the capabilities of the games they make.
---
3DS FC: 1805-2178-2522 Safari: Delibird, Sneasel, Dewgong
Days until Smash 4 3DS NA release: 64
#53BlueInfinityPosted 7/31/2014 2:58:14 PM
Angry Birds didn't even make enough money to outdo NSMB 1 for DS. And it sold wayyyy more than NSMB. That puts into perspective on what Trenken is trying to say.
---
'[Blue], call me whatever feels right on your keyboard.' - Marsford
'I didn't bother to read any of that since you have bad taste in games.' - KGTrigger
#54squatch22Posted 7/31/2014 3:03:07 PM
Angry Birds was downloaded a billion times. But its free or $1 at most.
I'd bet at least 80% of the downloads were the free version
---
I now have 2 followers (Or 1 and his alt) that think I live with my mum who died in 2002.
#55Crazy_tank51Posted 7/31/2014 3:11:40 PM
trenken posted...
Crazy_tank51 posted...
trenken posted...
Should they? Yes. They could make an absolute fortune, far beyond what they could ever make on their own systems. Destructoid reported they are down to about 5 bil in cash to spend. Thats getting dangerously low.

Will they? Probably not. Not soon anyway. They are a japanese company and japanese companies are very proud, to a fault. They will squander their entire wealth on failed systems before they change their core beliefs as a company, as dumb as that really is.

How will they make a fortune by dropping a huge chunk of revenue (40% of their revenue is from hardware IIRC) and having to pay royalties on Sony/MS systems? Please, enlighten me on that.

Do you have any idea how much money they could make if they made a new 2d mario game for iphone and android devices? An absolute freaking fortune beyond any mario game theyve ever released. Ill bet you it could get 50 million downloads.

Right now you need to buy dedicated hardware just to play them, and they still sell well. 385 million people have iphones alone lmao. You can bet nintendo is very well aware they are severely limiting themselves, but they like to stick to tradition. There is 0 doubt in my mine they will go 3rd party someday as the market changes. That may not be for 10 years, but i really think it will happen.

I asked how they'd get more money, not more sales. Sales =/= profit.

App store games do not generate that much revenue. Outside of Candy Crap Saga and Angry Birds, most apps generate $1000 in total revenue. The reason most of them sell for about 99 cents is they don't invest much money in it.

Even if the iOS Mario sells 50 million, it means jack if they don't beat costs of production and that's unlikely to happen. If they charge $40-60 for it, it won't be bought because of how cheap everything else is. They charge $5, they likely won't make it back.

Add in royalties and the like and it's clear it'll be the wrong choice.
---
Sega is what EAin't.
3DS: 3909-7785-1874 (Crazytank*) Steam ID: CrazytankXD
#56yeti44Posted 7/31/2014 3:22:02 PM
trenken posted...
yeti44 posted...
trenken posted...

Lol@ $5 billion cash = "dangerously low". What does that say about Sony who has NEGATIVE savings (aka in debt, which was downgraded to junk status)?? I guess they must be truly doomed, huh?

Youre comparing one company who only makes videogames, to one that makes game, music, movies, and everything else under the sun? They operate very differently. Sony is in debt but they also generate a ton of money, and just as quickly burn thru ot. Thats how they are able to operate and stay in business.

Nintendo is funding so many projects, and losing 100s of millions every year. Unless they stop hemorrhaging money, you could burn thru 5 bil pretty fast when youre paying thousands of employees and many development projects.

Except Nintendo is actually a more valuable company than Sony...
---
Nintendo stock 12,165. Sony stock 1,765
Nice guys finish last
#57SideShowBattPosted 7/31/2014 3:35:34 PM
Nope.avi
---
3DS FC - 3480 2643 3055
Nintendo Network- SideShowBatt
#58VoxwikPosted 7/31/2014 4:04:11 PM
Crazy_tank51 posted...
Even if the iOS Mario sells 50 million, it means jack if they don't beat costs of production and that's unlikely to happen. If they charge $40-60 for it, it won't be bought because of how cheap everything else is. They charge $5, they likely won't make it back.

Add in royalties and the like and it's clear it'll be the wrong choice.

Not that it's a great example anyway, but 50 million at $5 is a ton of money, even with royalties subtracted, and even for full console/PC games it's the minority that blow through budgets as large as say GTAV. I'm neither arguing against nor for your opinion but that example just does not work at all.
#59powerclaw1Posted 7/31/2014 4:05:17 PM
Never.
They have TONS of cash laying around.
---
When life throws you a curveball, throw it back with maximum force.
#60HappyHippo04Posted 8/1/2014 10:12:27 AM(edited)
SBias73 posted...
Nintendo does not have 16 billion in cash...

They have like 10 Billion in assets. Which is still more then they need. I don't understand where the whole doomed thing comes from. I look at Nintendo in the same position they were in in the Cube / GBA era. They will turn a profit on this machine, They will find a way. And bounce back hard, for example, if the Fusion is true. i look for that thing to explode.

No, they have 1.3 Trillion JPY is total assets which is 13 billion USD. ~.8 trillion JPY of that is reserve cash; which comes out to round 8 billion USD; more like 8.5 billion.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408