What is this board's opinion on Skyward Sword? (possible spoilers)

#21donkeyjackPosted 7/31/2014 9:29:50 AM
It was pretty dope but it's the worst 3D Zelda.
---
http://imgur.com/Hwg6GCx http://imgur.com/Oag0IWV http://imgur.com/Z612GMZ
http://imgur.com/aljoKDS
#22wiiking96Posted 7/31/2014 9:31:01 AM
It's a good - perhaps even great - game that could have been excellent or even amazing if it weren't for a series of rather significant flaws that many players found hard to ignore. They are as follows:

The motion controls, while appealing to many players (if for nothing else but their novelty) should NOT have been forced on the player. Some players simply don't find them to be comfortable. The directionality and maybe some stuff like using the Whip should have been the only mandatory use of motion controls. On a technical level, they're actually quite good, but that isn't enough. Some players could not get fully used to moving their arms around in the fashions necessary for the various actions in Skyward Sword.

The pacing of the experience as a whole is worse than in all of the other 3D Zelda games. The game builds up expectations for the game to move in interesting new directions after completing certain objectives. However, the only true change in atmosphere from the first third of the game to the quest for the pieces of the song is the presence of the Imprisoned, which a lot people clearly despise. The only thing that changes relating to Link's status after completing the first three dungeons is getting the Goddess Harp, which is by far the worst instrument in any Zelda game. The game introduces the concept of the Gate of Time, it withholds interaction with it until you complete another lengthy quest. After you do finally make it to the past, Zelda merely gets sealed up and you are sent back to the future for yet another quest.

The game's overuse of collecting items for content is an issue as well. This relates back to the previous point. Getting sidetracked for a missing propeller, or being sent back to the first dungeon is rather irritating. Then there's the infamous Tadtones section, which is a very annoying kind of filler, and only worsened by the forced motion controls for swimming. The Dowsing is a major part of this issue, as the game never gets tired of shoehorning in the feature. Even when you aren't collecting items, there's a rather large amount of content required for completion that would have been better suited for optional sidequests. Forcing the player to wait long stretches between every dungeon wasn't such a good idea.

The atmosphere of the game could have definitely been stronger. One major issue is that very few character in the game seem concerned about the goings on in the world. The people of Skyloft basically just exist for sidequests. The various new races introduced feel like rather arbitrary parts of the world. They can be amusing, sure, but their relevance to the story as a whole is sorrily lacking. The Imprisoned thankfully adds some tension, but only the old lady and Groose are concerned about its presence.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#23blunderminePosted 7/31/2014 9:31:35 AM
Loved it. Top 3 Zeldas for me.
---
Next Gen's system names:
PlayStation 5, Xbox Zero, Thwii
#24SideShowBattPosted 7/31/2014 12:17:43 PM(edited)
After playing it again recently, I love it! It has taken the second place spot for favorite Zelda games with Wind Waker as my absolute favorite and Majora as my third.
---
3DS FC - 3480 2643 3055
Nintendo Network- SideShowBatt
#25ColdReticencePosted 7/31/2014 12:20:23 PM
It was flawed, no doubt, but I loved it.
---
A chronic community ambulator.
#26ZeroX91Posted 7/31/2014 12:23:53 PM
Story was meh, graphically my favorite Zelda though....Just wish they would turn down the bloom/contrast.

Fi was somehow more annoying than Navi/Tael....Girihime is probably my favorite vilian though, Vati turned up to eleven. lol
---
*insert something clever here*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7hiF7fXhLg
#27BladeManEXEPosted 7/31/2014 12:30:47 PM
One of my favorite Zelda games. Most of the complaints I see never bothered me. Quite the opposite in some cases, such as the controls. Some of the most fun I've had actually controlling a character in any game was with Skyward Sword.
#28PrincessTsukiPosted 7/31/2014 12:42:24 PM
I hate it. It's not the worst Zelda, but it's still pretty awful. The gimmicky controls really cripple the experience even when fighting simple enemies, and the story is predictable to a fault. Omg, Ghirahim is a sword? Wow, I almost gave a f***! The crappy backtracking is made even more irritating by how dull and empty the world is.

And now everyone is going to attack me for pointing out blatant flaws in their favorite gaming franchise, so while I'm at it, OoT isn't as great as everyone thinks it is either.
#29Wii_TruthPosted 7/31/2014 12:47:58 PM
Masterpiece, and one of the defining games of last generation.
---
Nintendo is doomed so hard they went out of business 5 years ago!-TheCajun88
#30crowe_1Posted 7/31/2014 1:02:26 PM
I loved SS. It has a couple of very minor issues that tend to get severely overblown by some IMO (not necessarily anybody in this topic; most are pretty reasonable). Still, a 9.5 in my book.

I would have liked the sidequests to be better distributed, as most are not available until the second half of the game.

There was one spot I remember where you had to return to the first dungeon before entering the fourth dungeon. I thought it was unnecessary, but it only took 10 mins.

Fi gave away hints a little too easily. But you could just listen to her icon beep three times and then ignore her, so it wasn't a big deal.

I wish the swimming wasn't motion-controlled. All of the other controls were spot on and increased immersion significantly. Going back to pressing a button to swing in WWHD felt like a big step back.

Best combat in the series IMO. Every fight was like a micro puzzle.

Stamina bar was a good addition.

Backtracking was handled well IMO. In the forest, for example, the second visit was Silent Realm, the third was just to access a new area leading to Dungeon 4, Metroid-style, and the 4th the forest was underwater and hardly recognizeable.

Story was fantastic.

Best iteration of Zelda. Groose was great. Ghiraheim was different.

Final act and last boss fight were epic as Hell.

Amazing game, fitting of Zelda's high series standard.
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1