What is this board's opinion on Skyward Sword? (possible spoilers)

#61SuigintouEVPosted 7/31/2014 8:54:47 PM(edited)
21_21 posted...
Its' funny though. I don't really remember the game having so may tutorials.

Oh, it does. A lot of them are integrated into the plot though (go get my cat, the un-losable bird race, skydiving off the Goddess Statue), and the only real issue is that Fi tells you how to do everything instead of letting you mess around with the buttons yourself.

Really though, none of it detracts from the first playthrough, and Hero mode does let you skip some text.

wiiking96 posted...
That doesn't even make any sense.

It doesn't make any sense that people have different perception from you?
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#62wiiking96Posted 7/31/2014 8:58:10 PM
Xeylir posted...
I went into the game fully expecting to hate Fi.

While I get that some don't like her personality, I found that her habit of incessantly repeating things to the player was incredibly overblown. The only one that really annoyed me was the "low on hearts" message, because we already have an indicator for that.

From the way the Internet bashed Fi, I expected every item pickup to be followed by "Master, you've found an item" or opening every door to be followed by "You've found a new room, Master." This idea that Fi repeats virtually everything the game tells you was, I thought, really overblown.

I actually found her to be far more endearing than annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyVgK3LWYJ8#t=399
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2vU03_kjyo#t=170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeSA8aPKzgM#t=94

The shear fact alone that the vast majority of Fi's dialogue is mandatory makes the complaints directed towards her completely justified.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#63wiiking96Posted 7/31/2014 9:02:31 PM
SuigintouEV posted...
Really though, none of it detracts from the first playthrough,

Actually, the fact alone that many, many people despise the game's handholding means that there is certainly some level of detractment towards the initial playthrough for a large number of players. You may not have not have noticed it due to not having the opportunity to lessen the effects and thus see the difference, but it's very much an issue.

wiiking96 posted...
That doesn't even make any sense.

It doesn't make any sense that people have different perception from you?

I explained why it doesn't make sense. Don't cut off relevant text from my response.
---
#64SuigintouEVPosted 7/31/2014 9:09:55 PM(edited)
wiiking96 posted...
I explained why it doesn't make sense. Don't cut off relevant text from my response.

All your explanation was your personal opinion.

That doesn't even make any sense. Exposition is something that always works best when distributed in moderation and in ways that don't feel forced. Fi tells you literally everything that she knows, which takes away from the sense that you discover the plot on your own pace. A character literally created for nothing else than exposition is a bad character.

No matter how much you want to argue your position, it's ultimately your position - not an undeniable fact even if others do agree with you. I disagree with when and where exposition works best. I disagree that Fi's exposition always felt forced, with a few rare exceptions. I disagree that Fi prevents you from discovering the plot at your own pace. I disagree that she was created for nothing else than exposition.

Again, It doesn't make any sense that people have different perception from you?

Stop trying to push your own perception as fact.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#65wiiking96Posted 7/31/2014 9:18:20 PM
Stop throwing the opinion card around. There are established rules of storytelling that govern all mediums telling fictional narratives. There are of course variances from books to movies to video games, but outright breaking a key rule to no benefit is simply bad. Fi is a character who spends 99+% of her time doing one of three things:

A) Telling the player something about the story; either from the past or the present.
B) Providing the player with very specific information on what, how or where to do something.
C) Acting as a tool for the player to perform functions like dowsing, or a tool in the story like getting the flames onto Link's sword.

Only the former two things relate to her character with the way that she's implemented. The former two are also executed with a straight computer demeanor, going so far as to provide calculations.
---
#66ecne7abPosted 7/31/2014 9:30:55 PM
Good dungeons, characters, writing and story. Very charming game.

Overall a pretty good game with several glaring flaws and several more annoying flaws.

I would put it as the 4th best 3D Zelda.

1. Wind Waker
2. Twilight Princess
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Skyward Sword
5. Majora's Mask
---
3DS FC: 2621 - 2723 - 1197
NNID: EcneBanjo
#67LaManoNeraIIPosted 7/31/2014 9:31:11 PM
At the point I am in the game (beat the lava dungeon), I don't find Fi any more annoying than Navi or Elzo, who both had some pretty derpy "advice".
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#68MaouSadoPosted 7/31/2014 9:32:36 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
At the point I am in the game (beat the lava dungeon), I don't find Fi any more annoying than Navi or Elzo, who both had some pretty derpy "advice".

Navi gave advice. Fi tells you the plot, what to do, and how to do it.
#69LaManoNeraIIPosted 7/31/2014 9:34:47 PM
Navi literally tells you how to open a door

So far, Fi hasn't had more than like two boxes of dialog at a time inside gameplay heavy areas.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#70wiiking96Posted 7/31/2014 9:38:36 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
Navi literally tells you how to open a door.

Which is something that may have been unintuitive for players at the time. I imagine playing 3D Zelda for the first time ever must have been a bit disorienting and confusing for some players. Even then, Navi is only truly an issue in the first dungeon, while Fi is just as bad in each of three main parts of the game.

So far, Fi hasn't had more than like two boxes of dialog at a time inside gameplay heavy areas.

Fi wears on you the more you play the game. You may have the tolerance to deal with her, but I think you're get a better idea of why people take issue with her.
---