Casual games CAN'T be good?

#11Xenesis XenonPosted 7/31/2014 10:15:45 PM
Boom Blox is the best game EA has published within the last decade, so...yeah.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#12iKhanicPosted 7/31/2014 10:20:25 PM
_Candice_ posted...
Casual games can be fun but for the most part, theyre timewasters and arent very engaging.

Not necessarily. A lot of casual games employ a style reminiscent of arcade games, with a focus on skill and score. They just have a more approachable level curve.

The game I like to use as an example is Doodle Jump. You can be very skilled at Doodle Jump. Or you can be horrible at it. The addictiveness and engagement comes from how quick the turnover time is, and how you always feel you can do better.

Now I guess if you find Pac-man and Space Invaders unengaging, then your point still stands.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#13albertojz356Posted 7/31/2014 11:00:52 PM
Does Animal Crossing count as casual? I enjoy animal crossing.

I tried other casual nintendo series but I did not like them.
---
I support my favorite Nintendo Starlets: Pauline, Palutena, Anna, Captain Syrup, and also Shantae, and Bayonetta for Smash Bros Wii U/3ds.
#14nonexistingheroPosted 7/31/2014 11:05:48 PM
ITT: People who do not know anything at all about casual or hardcore gaming.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#15_Candice_Posted 8/2/2014 9:50:00 AM
iKhanic posted...
Not necessarily. A lot of casual games employ a style reminiscent of arcade games, with a focus on skill and score. They just have a more approachable level curve.

The game I like to use as an example is Doodle Jump. You can be very skilled at Doodle Jump. Or you can be horrible at it. The addictiveness and engagement comes from how quick the turnover time is, and how you always feel you can do better.

Now I guess if you find Pac-man and Space Invaders unengaging, then your point still stands.

Pacman, Tetris, and Space Invaders are engaging. Things like Angry Birds, Flappy Birds have very little consequence. You are not punished for mistakes and arent encouraged to learn the game. To say Doodle Jump employs skill is a stretch.

World of Goo? Now thats skill.
---
It's not about graphics vs gameplay, it's about profits vs gameplay. Profits are more important than gameplay in this forum. -lgi on the Wii U messageboard
#16Starwars4JPosted 8/2/2014 10:15:32 AM
So strange, what has become of gaming culture.

Games aren't hard core or casual...people are.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#17SegavsCapcomPosted 8/2/2014 11:38:37 AM
Casual games can be just as good as other games. I love the original Plants vs Zombies, Cradle of Rome, and Fairy Godmother Tycoon. All are great games and very addicting. Just like big name games, most casual games are crap, but there are gems.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom_NNID: SegavsCapcom
#18naisu_boatoPosted 8/2/2014 8:25:16 PM
albertojz356 posted...
Does Animal Crossing count as casual? I enjoy animal crossing.

that and tomodachi life, even cooking mama are enjoyable.
#19Wyand_VoidbringPosted 8/2/2014 8:30:27 PM
Hearthstone is casual.
Plants Vs Zombies is casual.
Bejeweled is casual.

All fine games.