Why is Nintendos seemingly unable to support two systems

#1iKhanicPosted 8/1/2014 5:41:16 AM
I don't get it. They were able to do this with the Wii and DS, but with the 3DS and Wii U, it almost seems like the switch is on for one or the other. I'm talking specifically about how 3DS sales are tanking now, and there is an overall lack of compelling hardware on the system for 2014. Sales growth this year has been pathetic, with less than 2% growth per quarter.

And this is coming at a time when the Wii U is seeing an influx of new software and better quarterly growth.

So why does Nintendo seem so incapable of splitting attention? Do they need to expand more? Or have they already expanded, and you think it will just take some time for such expansions to have an impact?
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#2NeoBowserPosted 8/1/2014 5:48:09 AM
Wii was selling well, and so did the DS.

3DS sells mediocre, or at least had a bad start. Wii U had a worse start too. They are focusing on getting the Wii U competetive so I guess they will leave the 3DS for what it is now?
---
Birdo all the way
#3NeoBowserPosted 8/1/2014 5:49:51 AM
*competetive against the Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

And I mean, they will not let the 3DS die, they just won't give it much attention.
---
Birdo all the way
#4godplaysSNESPosted 8/1/2014 5:51:12 AM
I think Nintendo wasn't well prepared for the complexity of more modern tech.

With the Wii, Nintendo's software teams could continue doing whatever they did on the Gamecube. It was basically a Gamecube with more RAM and higher clock speeds.

With the Wii U, Nintendo's teams suddenly have to utilize multicore CPUs and DX10.1-ish feature sets.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#5DeathSoul2000Posted 8/1/2014 5:53:03 AM(edited)
Maybe they're beginning to think having 2 separate systems to manage, especially when one is not doing so hot, is not such a great idea anymore, and the fact that handhelds can almost catch up to console quality these days if Nintendo wanted to put that kind of effort in.
#6Retroxgamer0Posted 8/1/2014 5:55:24 AM(edited)
nintendo is understaffed and struggling to use the technology. windwaker hd was made by a third party in collaboration with nintendo, as was ocarina of time 3d. aspects of windwaker hd are being reused on the new wii u zelda. most of wii u's gamess are rushed filler like kirby canvas curse or yoshi yarn. simply put theyre understaffed. they need to merge handheld and console so they can focus better.
#7NathanmgPosted 8/1/2014 5:54:43 AM
The Wii was cheap and had plenty of third parties developing for it as plenty of families bought it, it pretty much supported itself once it was out there.

Generally speaking I think the amount of first party support they've given to both 3DS and Wii U has been stronger than DS/Wii, the issue isn't with the first party support it's with the hardware not attracting the same levels of external support (also the fact the casual market wont see much of a need to move on from the Wii if it's still supporting their needs).
#8MetroidJunkiePosted 8/1/2014 5:55:58 AM
Nintendo doesn't have to worry as much about the 3DS, their only direct competition is the Vita which is doing very badly.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#9FayeLadyPosted 8/1/2014 5:56:10 AM
Many developers had issues with the move to HD, Nintendo is just the last to make the move.

Combine that with the fact that the DS and Wii had much better third party support, compared to the 3DS and especially the Wii U.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#10Wiiplayer111Posted 8/1/2014 5:56:56 AM
Its the summer months, this is when the least games come out. And they aren't going to be pushing constant software during this time when the 3DS pretty much has zero competition. Smash Bros, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter are all on the horizon. Games guaranteed to print money. Its the best time to focus all in on Wii U.
---
Look at you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com