Would this christmas be about the perfect time to pick up a Wii U?

#1viro5000Posted 8/1/2014 6:32:49 PM
Let me start by saying that I had a Wii. I was not that impressed by it and the controls for the wii was just something that i did not like. You this kind of turned me off from getting on the Wii U band wagon.

However since mario kart 8 came out, I watched nintendos 2014 e3 just a few days ago and they have some games coming out Q4 of this year and threw next year that i am interested for. Planning on maybe picking one up along side of SSB Wii U. So is the end of this year about the perfect time to pick one up. Does it seem like the Wii U might start taking off?

My main concern is are controls more traditional?

Thanks for all opinions/ replies.
---
Youtube Channel: Josh, WIll GameStuffed
Xbox live GT: Viro5000
#2DemonCatursdayPosted 8/1/2014 6:34:15 PM
For some games the controls are pretty traditional (MK9 and SMash most of all)

I haven't seen that many games that rely on motion controls at all
---
TomSka behind your sofa [](/ajeww)
http://tinyurl.com/oaqyhaz to see my emotes
#3ShinChuckPosted 8/1/2014 6:43:34 PM(edited)
The GamePad is the focus, which, besides the screen, is pretty much laid out like a normal controller. I wasn't thrilled with the Wii's heavy reliance on motion controls, but I've given the Wii U quite a bit more play.

Judging by the library, I think Christmas will be a good time. I honestly couldn't recommend the system early on, but it's picking up steam. MK8, Mario 3D World, Smash, Bayonetta are all great/likely going to be, and the system has been out long enough that you can pick up some earlier titles for cheap, like ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Deus Ex, Wonderful 101, and some of the multiplats like AC3/4, Arkham City, Need for Speed Most Wanted, and so forth.

Throw a system bundle into that mix, and you're doing alright.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#4LinetrixPosted 8/1/2014 6:48:13 PM
I assume you already bought a PS4, then?
---
It's off-topic to talk about the online portion of TLoU. Only the single player campaign is allowed in TLoU's board. - GameFAQs mod
#5viro5000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 6:54:36 PM
Linetrix posted...

No, Sadly with the way things are looking for xbox one and PS4, I will just stick with my 360...
The Wii U is the only next gen console thats got me remotely interested (Game wise.) Something about alot of realistic games now just got me kind of board....Im board with fps's. Most of them are war based which is just not enough of a theme to keep me playing.......Kingdom Hearts 3 will be missed. Untill Xbone and PS4 get some games im interested in, I dont plan to pick up any of them systems as of now.
---
#6king_maddenPosted 8/1/2014 7:25:17 PM
viro5000 posted...
Linetrix posted...

No, Sadly with the way things are looking for xbox one and PS4, I will just stick with my 360...
The Wii U is the only next gen console thats got me remotely interested (Game wise.) Something about alot of realistic games now just got me kind of board....Im board with fps's. Most of them are war based which is just not enough of a theme to keep me playing.......Kingdom Hearts 3 will be missed. Untill Xbone and PS4 get some games im interested in, I dont plan to pick up any of them systems as of now.

out of the 30+ retail games coming the rest of this year only 6 can be shooters or close to considered shooters, and thats too much? I will say 18 of those can be considered realistic though, so I guess that mix would be a problem for you.

on topic though, whichever console you decide to buy this christmas season will have a lot of games available for you to play, cant really go wrong with any of them.
#7viro5000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 7:34:41 PM
king_madden posted...
viro5000 posted...
Linetrix posted...

out of the 30+ retail games coming the rest of this year only 6 can be shooters or close to considered shooters, and thats too much? I will say 18 of those can be considered realistic though, so I guess that mix would be a problem for you.

on topic though, whichever console you decide to buy this christmas season will have a lot of games available for you to play, cant really go wrong with any of them.

Sorry, was not trying to sound like only shooters were on xbox one and PS4. I guess the point i was trying to make was none of those systems have any games coming out i have my eye on. Though at the moment im kind of bios right now for Xbone. Im still kind of annoyed at some of the features Microsoft tried to put on xbone. So i kind of been looking the other way i suppose.

Anyways thanks for your reply, Glad i cant go wrong this christmas.
---
#8Granadico_Posted 8/1/2014 7:38:58 PM
If Nintnedo has a Smash bundle and even another free game offer like MK8, then it'd probably be perfect then (assuming you'd like Nintendo games)
---
Call me Granny
Currently playing: Xenoblade (Wii), Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), and slowly but sure Half-Life 2 (PC) | NNID/Steam/etc:Granadico
#9MisterSpliffPosted 8/1/2014 7:50:15 PM
It definately is and I feel like it was last Christmas too. Of course, this year is a better time than ever.
#10GREEN00Posted 8/1/2014 7:54:05 PM
Wii U will have a ton of great exclusives to dig into by this holiday, not least of which including the aforementioned Super Smash Bros & Mario Kart 8, and more games on the way for 2015.

I'm buying a Wii U this holiday myself, and I've already bought 6 Wii U games in preparation.
---
My collection, http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/GREEN00/games/owned?platform=0