Paper Mario and Mario Party need to go back to their roots

#11AhnoldDoodPosted 8/2/2014 2:20:26 PM
Lefty128k posted...
The "root" of Paper Mario is Super Mario Seven Stars.

A game with enough depth

Ahhh, blind nostalgia.
---
http://jp7.r0tt.com/l_b29b5cc0-d1af-11e1-a806-4f908e000007.jpg
#12Lefty128kPosted 8/2/2014 2:42:58 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
Lefty128k posted...

A game with enough depth

Ahhh, blind nostalgia.

Has nothing to do with nostalgia.

It's factual that Seven Stars had more to do than Paper.
#13Mandrew257Posted 8/2/2014 2:46:38 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
Lefty128k posted...

A game with enough depth

Ahhh, blind nostalgia.

Normally, I'd never side with Lefty; but cmon, it's just an opinion. Why must you always feel your opinion is greater than others? I even saw you attacking a user because he didn't like the gamepad.
---
Even if Roy doesn't make it into the next Smash bros, Roy's still our boy.
PSN/NNID: Mandrew257. Feel free to add me :)
#14DiscostewSMPosted 8/2/2014 2:47:27 PM
Now why would I want to ruin the analog sticks on my Wii U controllers?
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#15Typhus12Posted 8/2/2014 4:39:01 PM
Lefty128k posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Lefty128k posted...

A game with enough depth

Ahhh, blind nostalgia.

Has nothing to do with nostalgia.

It's factual that Seven Stars had more to do than Paper.

I don't think he was saying you're wrong. You're not, you're just comparing a game with very little depth with a game that has almost zero, which is pretty much the only time you'll see "depth" and "Super Mario RPG" in the same sentence..besides this one :P.
---
You're going to the science hospital!
#16iKhanicPosted 8/2/2014 4:51:03 PM
Mario Party was sitting at it's roots for 8 generations. The franchise has simply been milked to death. It doesn't need to go back to it's roots, it needs to be killed.

Paper Mario was switched for a very legitimate reason. Mario & Luigi took the same battle system concept. Yes, it changed it around so that the two are still distinguishable, but you still had 2 different Mario RPGs that centered around timing assisted turn-based combat.

Think about it like this. If you like the first two Paper Marios, there are tons of games out there for you that are like it.

If you liked Super Paper Mario, you have to scavenge the earth to find another 2D Action-Platformer RPG.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#17LightHawKnightPosted 8/2/2014 5:15:00 PM
iKhanic posted...
Mario Party was sitting at it's roots for 8 generations. The franchise has simply been milked to death. It doesn't need to go back to it's roots, it needs to be killed.

Paper Mario was switched for a very legitimate reason. Mario & Luigi took the same battle system concept. Yes, it changed it around so that the two are still distinguishable, but you still had 2 different Mario RPGs that centered around timing assisted turn-based combat.

Think about it like this. If you like the first two Paper Marios, there are tons of games out there for you that are like it.

If you liked Super Paper Mario, you have to scavenge the earth to find another 2D Action-Platformer RPG.

Thats so stupid. PM came first, it should keep the battle style that is awesome. Not M&L.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#18Hirokey123Posted 8/2/2014 5:15:43 PM
Honestly I'm not actually not against another SPM or Sticker Star because both concepts I think have infinitely more potential than the formula 64 had because I really feel that for the most part TTYD took that formula as far as it could go without becoming overly gimmicky. SPM and Sticker Star had a ton of potential it just didn't reach it.

Mario Party on the other hand is always fun with friends and fun to destroy friendships with but the games just aren't as fun ever since they stripped away the strategy, turned the boards to lines, removed mini-games after every four turns, and threw in extremely rigged dice. I know hudson isn't a thing anymore which can contribute to the lack of normal mario party but you know turning the game into something worse than Sonic shuffle is really bad. I mean Mario Pary should never feel like cheap cash-in of itself. I don't care if it's milked or the formula hadn't changed. It was fine as it is, there is a reason most board games don't drastically change the rules. Some expansions and a fresh look is all a board game needs and it's all mario party needed.

I'm not even against keeping the car gameplay just don't make it the ONLY gameplay. Give us all the traditional modes and keep the car stuff in to. I mean really there is no excuse to actually be removing content when Mario Party isn't heavy on it to begin with. Just have two board variations for each board, one designed for car and one designed for traditional. Give us both types and it's the best of both worlds.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#19CubeTVPosted 8/2/2014 5:46:11 PM
LightHawKnight posted...

Thats so stupid. PM came first, it should keep the battle style that is awesome. Not M&L.

This. There's also Wii U bias in that it won't be getting a Mario/Luigi RPG, maybe not even a Paper Mario after it being on the 3DS. I'd love a Mario/Luigi RPG on the Wii U. The person playing as Mario plays on the TV and the person playing as Luigi plays on the gamepad. Oh what. That's innovation with the series (co-op, seperate exploration) and the system (split screen single screen). Something the Wii U can't do because the Wii U makers don't want to do that.

Mandrew257 posted...
Leon_Powalski_7 posted...
fbt47 posted...
They should put an option to remove the car in the new Mario Party.

This. But then there's still the forced Wii remote controls. I'd be fine with MP10 even with the car but please no Wii remote controls. The Mario Party series Wii-now needs more options.

Car and linear (like MP9)
On foot and linear (like Island Tour)
Race to the Goal (like Island Tour)
Optional motion controls
Mini game online play (seriously. Island Tour had Streetpass which is persudo-online)
10-20 turn online board play with your friends only and use the gamepad as a webcam/mic (again... actual innovation, but it's on the Wii U so it wont happen)
---
Owner of: Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo GameCube, N64, Gameboy Advance and a PS1.
Want: A better computer, a PS3 and a new PSP. Don't like the PS2 & Wii
#20wiiking96Posted 8/2/2014 6:27:01 PM
Hirokey123 posted...
Honestly I'm not actually not against another SPM or Sticker Star because both concepts I think have infinitely more potential than the formula 64 had because I really feel that for the most part TTYD took that formula as far as it could go without becoming overly gimmicky.

It sounds to me like you just lack imagination. Here's what could be added to make the system of PM64 & TTYD fresh while staying true to its core fundamentals.

- Have an "Attack Priority" system that determines who moves first in a turn. Imagine if a Koopatrol would attack first in the turn if you attempted to use Watt against it, but using Kooper would allow you to attack first. This could add a great deal of additional strategy to battles. Tattling an enemy would show you if it has Low, Moderate, or High priority in a turn. Every attack in the game would have a default priority, and you could do things like inflicting a "Sluggish" status effect on enemies to allow you to attack first.

- Have "Stage Hazards" that affect all participants in battle. Imagine if the battle stage from TTYD were to get slippery because of Ink leftover from an attack. Attacks that are initiated by walking would have a 50% chance of failing. Other hazards could be a fierce wind that has various effects on enemies and your partners, a fire on the stage that limits some attacks and that can be put out, and a Thwomp that could be avoided with cleverness. Stage hazards would act as a secondary factor in battles that force you to adapt to changing scenarios.

- Have three partners out on the screen at once, while only allowing two a full use of a turn. You might decide to attack with one character and appeal with the other two. The tactics list could be extended to provide more actions that can be an alternative to just attacking. This would greatly increase the number of available options in any given turn, allowing for enemies to be tougher in general. Perhaps there could even be team-up attacks ala Chrono Trigger.

- Have a ranking given at the end of every battle that is determined by successful and failed attempted uses of a turn. The ranking would start out as a C+, and raise or lower depending on how you perform. Failing an action command would bring it down a notch, while successfully exploiting an enemy's weakness would raise it up two notches. While I have a specific idea of how End of Battle Rankings.

- Increase the variety of Global Effect Badges to allow for a larger number of potential playstyles. Perhaps there could be a Badge that increases the amount of damaging objects thrown by the audience to both Mario and the enemies, or a Badge that makes Mario get angry whenever a partner is damaged. There's a lot of potential for stuff like this.

- Have each partner have a distinct "Battle Trait" that provides a unique benefit for them in a battle. A Crayzee Dayzee partner could be made to run away in the middle of a turn when low on HP so that they survive. A snobby rich person-themed partner could cause more helpful audience members to appear in the audience whenever he/she is in play. A Hammer Bro partner could be resilient to attacks from the top. A Karate-themed partner could have a special counter guard that works against physical attacks. Etcetera.

SPM and Sticker Star had a ton of potential it just didn't reach it.

SPM I could agree on, but SS's battle system was almost entirely just a dumbed down version of PM64's battle system.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!