Paper Mario and Mario Party need to go back to their roots

#51SimcambiPosted 8/3/2014 6:52:37 PM
Paper Mario Yes,

Mario party... how has it gotten worse?
---
You should feel honored to face me.
#52S_K_FPosted 8/3/2014 7:13:30 PM
Some of the newer Mario Party games such as 7, 8, DS, and IT had different rules for some or all of the boards. Honestly if there was even just one board with the traditional rules that'd be enough for me.

Also, another thing. In the cases of both PM and MP the new style isn't necessarily bad, it's just not what made us fall in love with the series.
---
"I fully expected RickRoll but holy crap, that video was amazing. OP delivers. Have the OP of the Year 2014 award." - georgethecow4
#53DTY3Posted 8/4/2014 4:38:37 AM
Sorry wiiking, but "because it's Paper Mario" is a flimsy excuse for why the series can't have more prominent party members with equal importance. Even if the only thing that changed was a more fleshed out party system, how would that change everything else PM does that's unique? You can't tell me the only thing unique about PM is the partner system, especially since the latest game didn't even have it.
#54wiiking96Posted 8/4/2014 6:26:04 AM
DTY3 posted...
Sorry wiiking, but "because it's Paper Mario" is a flimsy excuse for why the series can't have more prominent party members with equal importance. Even if the only thing that changed was a more fleshed out party system, how would that change everything else PM does that's unique?You can't tell me the only thing unique about PM is the partner system, especially since the latest game didn't even have it.

Can you at least go into more detail with how you think the partner system should be more fleshed out? You are being too vague.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#55wiiking96Posted 8/4/2014 11:26:19 AM
bump
---
#56DTY3Posted 8/4/2014 1:06:29 PM
wiiking96 posted...
DTY3 posted...
Sorry wiiking, but "because it's Paper Mario" is a flimsy excuse for why the series can't have more prominent party members with equal importance. Even if the only thing that changed was a more fleshed out party system, how would that change everything else PM does that's unique?You can't tell me the only thing unique about PM is the partner system, especially since the latest game didn't even have it.

Can you at least go into more detail with how you think the partner system should be more fleshed out? You are being too vague.

I mean ditch it. Make them fully fleshed out party members with just as much combat importance as Mario. Mario can still be the center of the story, but you shouldn't HAVE to include him in the party.
Being different is one thing, but not being different for the sake of being different.
#57wiiking96Posted 8/4/2014 1:22:45 PM
DTY3 posted...
wiiking96 posted...
DTY3 posted...

I mean ditch it. Make them fully fleshed out party members with just as much combat importance as Mario. Mario can still be the center of the story, but you shouldn't HAVE to include him in the party.
Being different is one thing, but not being different for the sake of being different.

The developers of IS wanted to focus on Mario over the other characters as it's a Mario game. It only makes sense for him to be required to be playable. Additionally, it works well for players not used to RPGs to have a constant in battle that they can rely on. You are focused too much on what has become common in traditional RPGs. Paper Mario having a focus on one character over the others in battle is not a flaw, it's just a difference in design philosophy.

It would be best for the partner system to just be fleshed out more:
- Give each partner two unique badges: One that provides a new attack, and one that provides a unique global effect.
- Have the partners be used to initiate several sidequests in the game.
- Update the partner level up system so that battling plays a role in improving partner performance.
- Give the partners more story-related relevance outside their starting chapters.
---
#58DTY3Posted 8/4/2014 1:36:31 PM
The developers of IS wanted to focus on Mario over the other characters as it's a Mario game. It only makes sense for him to be required to be playable. Additionally, it works well for players not used to RPGs to have a constant in battle that they can rely on. You are focused too much on what has become common in traditional RPGs. Paper Mario having a focus on one character over the others in battle is not a flaw, it's just a difference in design philosophy.

I don't want it because other RPG's have it. I want it for more variety. Nobody complained when SMRPG did it.

Like I JUST said, the Paper Mario series isn't unique only because the partner system.
Hell if you want partners so bad, at least also give us actual party members IN ADDITION to the partners.
#59Juju_Architect_Posted 8/4/2014 1:40:25 PM
Simcambi posted...
Paper Mario Yes,

Game went from "some luck + skill and strategy, actual depth and feeling like you were actually TAKING CHOICES" to "luck + luck + luck + luck + luck + luck"
Not to mention being good at minigames is completely useless due the abuse of rubber-band nature of the boards in the latest games.
---
Cavorting about affixing Gogol Horns to houses does not constitute looking after an entire colony, Juju. -Dunban
#60Pink_a_DinkPosted 8/4/2014 1:43:20 PM
Juju_Architect_ posted...
Simcambi posted...
Paper Mario Yes,

Game went from "some luck + skill and strategy, actual depth and feeling like you were actually TAKING CHOICES" to "luck + luck + luck + luck + luck + luck"
Not to mention being good at minigames is completely useless due the abuse of rubber-band nature of the boards in the latest games.

Eh, its Mario Party. Its definitely become more family friendly in a sense where literally anyone can win, but its still fun. 9 had the best mini games and the car really wasn't that bad. The boards in previous games were mostly small anyways, so the way I see it is you either run around in circles for 20 turns, or just go on a straight path for 20 minutes. Its almost the same to me. And its not fair to say its become all luck. Especially the boss fights, which give you a lot of stars. I dunno, just my two cents.
---
My reaction when stupid people say stupid things - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVhfdduwfo
The Wii U board is seriously just awful.