Is 3rd place such a bad thing?

#51R_HunterPosted 8/3/2014 12:30:50 PM
No it isn't. But let's save this topic for when the U IS in third place.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Trolls gonna troll.
#52king_maddenPosted 8/3/2014 12:34:45 PM
StevenDrkPrince posted...
InfinityOver0 posted...
this is more of a topic for the x1 board, really

This, Xbox One is last place.

Since Xbox released its been in second, and it took the release of Nintendo's most popular game just to get to a point where they are selling around the same. Once all the multiplats and exclusives come it's logical to feel xb1 will begin to edge of again.
#53WickedSickJoshPosted 8/3/2014 12:36:25 PM
3rd place out of three competitors isn't necessarily a good thing. It wouldn't be so bad if Nintendo was in third and was actually reaching their desired sales, but that's not the case. :P
---
Currently playing: Tomodachi Life (3DS), Wonderful 101 (Wii U), WWE 2K14 (PS3)
#54ZEROthefirstPosted 8/3/2014 12:41:15 PM
I think by the end of the 3 console's lifespans the Wii U will be 2nd. If the past 2 generations have taught us anything, it's that the Xbox brand does fairly poorly outside of the U.S. and Europe (and unlike the last generation Sony has a much larger lead on Microsoft in both of these areas instead of the other way around). More people show more interest in the PS4 and or Wii U, while the majority of any of the Xbone's interest is from past Xbox owners and most moved on to Sony after Microsoft's early SCREWUP.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Xbone, but game-wise there's not much going for it aside from a few decent exclusives on the horizon. When you look back on sales for the past 3 generations the Xbox brand has been in last due to you guessed it poor world-wide support (granted the 360 is just barely behind the PS3 in terms of world-wide sales because of the U.S. alone). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 remained in first, the Wii U in second and the Xbone in last, because aside from the new Halo game I don't see anything boosting the Xbone sales much. It's essentially lost itself to the PS4 because of power, and the Wii U for exclusives and of course their terrible intro for the Xbone.
---
Nintendo Network/PSN ID: ZEROthefirst
https://www.youtube.com/user/ZEROthefirst
#55king_maddenPosted 8/3/2014 12:50:53 PM
ZEROthefirst posted...
I think by the end of the 3 console's lifespans the Wii U will be 2nd. If the past 2 generations have taught us anything, it's that the Xbox brand does fairly poorly outside of the U.S. and Europe (and unlike the last generation Sony has a much larger lead on Microsoft in both of these areas instead of the other way around). More people show more interest in the PS4 and or Wii U, while the majority of any of the Xbone's interest is from past Xbox owners and most moved on to Sony after Microsoft's early SCREWUP.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Xbone, but game-wise there's not much going for it aside from a few decent exclusives on the horizon. When you look back on sales for the past 3 generations the Xbox brand has been in last due to you guessed it poor world-wide support (granted the 360 is just barely behind the PS3 in terms of world-wide sales because of the U.S. alone). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 remained in first, the Wii U in second and the Xbone in last, because aside from the new Halo game I don't see anything boosting the Xbone sales much. It's essentially lost itself to the PS4 because of power, and the Wii U for exclusives and of course their terrible intro for the Xbone.

Xb1 was outselling wiiu when it was $500 and had just one good exclusive and pretty much nothing else, and is selling pretty much the same amount now that Mario kart came out. You have to figure its only going up afterwards.

Also NA and EU are pretty much the main ones, its not even sold in a lot of places like Japan, and it still manages to bring in around the same amount of sales
#56Granadico_Posted 8/3/2014 12:56:45 PM
king_madden posted...
Xb1 was outselling wiiu when it was $500 and had just one good exclusive and pretty much nothing else, and is selling pretty much the same amount now that Mario kart came out. You have to figure its only going up afterwards.

Hype can do ridiculous things. IMO it could go either way:
Either the hype train dies and people realize how little the XBone has to offer compared to the PS4, so they go that route
Or people don't care that they're offering 90% the same thing so they get it from brand loyalty.
---
Call me Granny
Currently playing: Xenoblade (Wii), Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), and slowly but sure Half-Life 2 (PC) | NNID/Steam/etc:Granadico
#57Board_hunter567Posted 8/3/2014 1:02:34 PM
4th place actually.
Because PC is always in the lead.

Nyuck nyuck.
#58FuzzyJelloPosted 8/3/2014 1:08:43 PM(edited)
If you can simultaneously make a tidy profit in the second half of your machine's life and amass a good game library- meaning you can retire your console with strong brand recognition, developer support going forward, and money made- it doesn't matter where you place. Third place consoles just do not trend toward all three of those things simultaneously. The Wii U is on track to have none of them.

Board_hunter567 posted...
4th place actually.
Because PC is always in the lead.

Nyuck nyuck.

PC is outside the race and always has been; in the past because console development was mostly in the Japan, in the present because strong console sales and digital distribution preferences set up PC releases to consistently make money. PC gaming would hardly be the alternative it is now if you took away either of those things.
#59king_maddenPosted 8/3/2014 1:11:22 PM
Granadico_ posted...
king_madden posted...

Hype can do ridiculous things. IMO it could go either way:
Either the hype train dies and people realize how little the XBone has to offer compared to the PS4, so they go that route
Or people don't care that they're offering 90% the same thing so they get it from brand loyalty.

By now hype has passed, hype is initial, then people get it in their hands reviews go up, previews go up, word of mouth is out there, hype is gone and people know what it is, and arent just buying it just because at this point. Even though people here will throw the word hype out when they don't know why something is selling.
#60SSJ4CHRISPosted 8/3/2014 1:15:02 PM
With the lack of appeal the Wii U has, and the financial reports compared to the competition, then yes, 3rd place REALLY is that bad.
---
The Internet allows us to make more mistakes faster than any invention in history. With the possible exceptions of Handguns and Tequila!