Why isn't Twilight Princess your favorite Zelda game?

#121SuperNerdSorenPosted 8/3/2014 6:32:03 PM
It's my 3rd favorite with Wind Waker at #1 and Majora's Mask at #2 (with Ocarina of Time near the bottom). Graphics don't mean anything to me, so I don't use that to determine what my favorite games are.
---
3DS: 2406-5192-8968 | Lv. 30 Pokemon battles ONLY | Safari: Electric (Pikachu/Dedenne)
#122EnmaDaio2588Posted 8/3/2014 6:39:25 PM
It took itself too seriously
It didn't age as well as Link to the Past of, Wind Waker
Washed out colors
Not nearly as open/non-linear as LoZ, Link to the Past, Awakening or, Link Between Worlds
The Gamecube (better option) isn't as easily/readily/cheaply available as OP made it out to be

It's a great LoZ but it's not my favorite. Definite top-5 and fair-weather top 3 for me.
---
I had a dream of my wife...She was dead but, it was OK...
#123Rat_a_tatPosted 8/3/2014 6:44:48 PM(edited)
Because not only have I not played the game, I've never even owned a Wii, or any console Zelda game since LttP. I guess it looks okay, though.

I don't even consider myself a Zelda fan, honestly, but I am a LttP fan since it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Bunny Link > Wolf Link
---
Friend Code: 0104-0344-6970
#124wh0_kn0wsPosted 8/3/2014 6:52:07 PM
EnmaDaio2588 posted...
It took itself too seriously

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/9b/9b2c01a5284643dd877d558088740640007cf1c030abcb24dfb5abbce549132a.jpg
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#125iKhanicPosted 8/3/2014 6:56:52 PM
Usabell posted...
Also the Wii's waggle sword control is unnecessary.

No it wasn't. It allowed for a more immersive option with the sacrifice of camera control.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#126Pink_a_DinkPosted 8/3/2014 6:59:43 PM
iKhanic posted...
Usabell posted...

No it wasn't. It allowed for a more immersive option with the sacrifice of camera control.

Oh please, it didn't add anything besides tiring your arm out whenever you wanna fight something.
---
My reaction when stupid people say stupid things - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVhfdduwfo
The Wii U board is seriously just awful.
#127hydra_dragonPosted 8/3/2014 7:02:55 PM
It has been a long time since I've played it, but my two biggest issues were:

1) The story. First it was save your friend, and then all of the sudden, after you save her, it is all about Zelda. It just switches randomly.

2) broken up land made horse riding a pain in the ass. The horse would stop and all of the time.
---
If Life Were A Trading Card Game, Common Sense Would Be That Rare Holographic Card Nobody Seems To Have...
#128ArabrockermanXPosted 8/3/2014 7:06:17 PM
Pink_a_Dink posted...
iKhanic posted...
Usabell posted...

Oh please, it didn't add anything besides tiring your arm out whenever you wanna fight something.

Some of us aren't that out of shape...
#129SourcesPosted 8/3/2014 7:15:54 PM
Only Zelda game I played was TP. If that's the best in the series, I'm glad I didn't try the rest cause it was pure trash.
#130MarsonitePosted 8/3/2014 7:23:20 PM(edited)
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Twilight Princess is a solid title, but...

Story
There's not much story there. Like, at all. Even by the anemic standards of story in your average Zelda game, the story and plot of TP aren't the best. LttP and OoT beat it in terms of mythos-building game-changers, and games like Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening beat it in idiosyncrasy and charm.

Character
Character growth? I'll give you Midna - she's a cool character (until her disappointing true form at the end - blech!) and she becomes less apathetic towards Hyrule's fate and less snotty towards Link, maybe. One of the village kids learns to be nicer to another village kid. That's literally about the extent of character growth in this game.

Graphics/Visuals
Can one seriously say with a straight face that Twilight Princess avoids bloom lighting? Seriously, bloom lighting is literally the centrepiece of its visuals. Not that I have much problem with it or anything, but wow! Can't tell if serious.

The graphics are pretty good, but they have aged. I'm not a huge fan of Link's Skyward Sword model, and the game arguably could have used more detail in its visuals, but overall, its graphics and visuals hold up better than Twilight Princess with a much more visually compelling look, while TP comes across as kind of drab with blurry textures. You see, it's not even like Ocarina of Time, which went for straight-forward, hi-fidelity semi-realism (for the time); the drabness of TP is by design, which works well in some parts, but not for the whole game.

Music
Best Music? OoT, Wind Waker, LttP, Link's Awakening, and others would like a few words. For example, I used to think Twilight Princess had the better Hyrule Field theme than OoT, and while it is quite good (especially on horseback), the game is too reliant on it and it is littered everywhere, including uninspired remixed versions (Gerudo Valley, Snowpeak). OoT's Hyrule Field theme, on the other hand, is just that, and is bombastic and rhapsodic, which I've come to value more.

Size
For the relatively large size of its overworld map, Twilight Princess somehow manages to be a smaller game than LttP and Ocarina. Why is that? Is it the hand-holding narrative and on-rails gameplay? Is it because there's less stuff? Is it because it's too derivative of OoT to truly shine as its own game? I remember finally getting the power-up for the Master Sword that made it badass like the Master Sword in LttP and thinking, "Yeah! This game's really getting into it now!" only to be find that the power-up was basically useless after that and that I was almost finished the game at that point. It's disappointing how small this game ended up feeling.