Why isn't Twilight Princess your favorite Zelda game?

#141dorkdragon1788Posted 8/3/2014 7:46:23 PM
I enjoyed TP, but there are a few things that bothered me about it.

First off, the motion controls. When they were advertising it, they claimed that you'd feel like you were really fighting monsters with sword and shield. I fire up the game, and the motion controls for swinging your sword boiled down to "wagglewagglewaggle" or "I'm going to poke you to death!" But, this was a launch title for Wii, so in the end the limited "realness" of the motion controls can be forgiven... if it weren't for the advertising promises.

Second, the graphics. I really liked the photorealistic style. However, I, like many others, would have preferred it if the game didn't look so brown. I get that they were trying to make the world surrounding you reflect the drab and dismal nature of that version of hyrule, but I think they could have accomplished it through means other than "Let's make it look like the player has a layer of dust on their screen." Oh, and the bloom effects. Someone definitely had a hard-on for the bloom tool. Definitely could have had more interesting ways of implementing it, instead of making everything look like it was polished to a high finish and had a spotlight shining on it.

Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed it. I just don't think it pushes the envelope enough to claim "favorite zelda ever."

And for the record, my favorite 3d zelda is OoT, and my favorite 2d is LttP (unless I have enough people to get a four player game of Four Swords Adventures going. I am a sucker for in-house multiplayer).
#142kuterPosted 8/3/2014 8:13:37 PM
The wolf. That game could of been a gem, but nooppeeeeeeeee.
#143Tucker_BAPosted 8/3/2014 8:14:59 PM
I don't like garbage.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjD6wo9BIyM
#144iKhanicPosted 8/3/2014 8:16:50 PM
Pink_a_Dink posted...
iKhanic posted...
Usabell posted...
Also the Wii's waggle sword control is unnecessary.

No it wasn't. It allowed for a more immersive option with the sacrifice of camera control.

Oh please, it didn't add anything besides tiring your arm out whenever you wanna fight something.

http://www.psychologyofgames.com/2010/09/motion-controls-and-presence/

Yes they did. It's a more natural control scheme, and gives us greater presence in the game.

TP's controls on the Wii may not have been complex, but they functioned near flawlessly (save for the broken shield bash).
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#145retrosticker903Posted 8/3/2014 8:17:04 PM
Because I'm an Ocarina Kool-Aid drinker.

No, not really. It's because I've had way too much fun playing the top-down handheld installments.
---
Five years ago, I lost 30,000 sandwiches and cakes in a blink of an eye. And GLaDOS just f___ing laughed.
She would not die. Now we know our crime was sin.
#146Shin_GallonPosted 8/3/2014 9:01:59 PM
Because it exists in the same universe where A Link to the Past exists. It's actually my third fave Zelda, behind LttP and Wind Waker.
---
Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime.
#147Shin_GallonPosted 8/3/2014 9:03:00 PM
Oh, and when I say TP is my third favorite it goes without saying I mean the superior Gamecube original, not the ruined-by-motion-controls Wii port.
---
Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime.
#148recollectmusicPosted 8/3/2014 9:04:08 PM
iKhanic posted...
recollectmusic posted...

> Skyward Sword also have a mass amount of characters with growth, arguably doing it better.
>It has ugly graphics with little color and clashing concepts (such as the crazy characters looking weird in the world, etc), and it DOES use Bloom. You obviously don't know what bloom is.
>The music is great, but it was definitely not the best in the series, mostly because they were still using midi at the time.
>*Emptiest Map

-SS had one developing character, Groose, and he still had a largely comic relief based character. TP had Midna, Ralis, Colin, Talo, King Bulblin, and even Yeto and Yeta to a degree.
-Having a darker graphical style doesn't preclude the game from having lighthearted charm. The key is a good balance of the two. And while not great for everything, the style works well with TP's tone. Look up the SS texture pack for TP on YouTube. It looks terrible, mostly due to that tone issue.
-The fact that it was midi allowed them to create a vast range of sounds that SS missed out on because it was orchestrated. Also, it's MIDI quality was quite good.
-It's map was as empty as the other 3D Zelda games.

-To be honest. I didn't count the SS characters, so meh, but regardless, you ignored the other more important example I listed: Majora's Mask.

-And I'm saying it didn't find a balance at all. It came off as awkward and broke the otherwise "dark" tone of the game. It was like they were going for a dark game but couldn't make up their mind and commit to it.

-And midi doesn't have any sound advantages over orchestral. Everything you can do in midi, you can do in higher quality with regular music. Sure, the midi was probably the best I'd ever heard, but that still doesn't mean it compares to orchestral soundtracks (or rather, non-midi soundtracks). :P

-TP was more barren. There wasn't little to find or do in the overworlds, and there were sprawling empty areas with literally nothing in them. At least WW had treasure and SS had lots of islands or those treasure blocks on the ground. :P
---
Pokemon Black FC - 3482 6679 3025
#149ToxicJuiceboxPosted 8/3/2014 9:20:02 PM
- Most forgettable characters and music in the series
- Ugly brown graphics
- Garbage wolf sections
- Big empty map
- 5 pieces of heart per heart container
- Terrible dungeons like Snowpeak and City in the Sky
- Oocca
- Bringing in a decent new villain only to have his boss battle be nothing but a glorified boss rush, then having Ganon show up out of nowhere
- I hate the Shadow Beasts and the stupid Tron-esque design the entire Twilight Realm seems to have.
- The songs you howl as a wolf sound absolutely abysmal

I know there's a lot more that I dislike about this game, but that's all that immediately came to mind. It's been a while since I've forced myself to play it. It's the only Zelda game that I just don't like no matter how hard I try to.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3411-0282-6094
#150iKhanicPosted 8/3/2014 9:29:19 PM
recollectmusic posted...
iKhanic posted...
recollectmusic posted...

> Skyward Sword also have a mass amount of characters with growth, arguably doing it better.
>It has ugly graphics with little color and clashing concepts (such as the crazy characters looking weird in the world, etc), and it DOES use Bloom. You obviously don't know what bloom is.
>The music is great, but it was definitely not the best in the series, mostly because they were still using midi at the time.
>*Emptiest Map

-SS had one developing character, Groose, and he still had a largely comic relief based character. TP had Midna, Ralis, Colin, Talo, King Bulblin, and even Yeto and Yeta to a degree.
-Having a darker graphical style doesn't preclude the game from having lighthearted charm. The key is a good balance of the two. And while not great for everything, the style works well with TP's tone. Look up the SS texture pack for TP on YouTube. It looks terrible, mostly due to that tone issue.
-The fact that it was midi allowed them to create a vast range of sounds that SS missed out on because it was orchestrated. Also, it's MIDI quality was quite good.
-It's map was as empty as the other 3D Zelda games.

-To be honest. I didn't count the SS characters, so meh, but regardless, you ignored the other more important example I listed: Majora's Mask.

-And I'm saying it didn't find a balance at all. It came off as awkward and broke the otherwise "dark" tone of the game. It was like they were going for a dark game but couldn't make up their mind and commit to it.

-And midi doesn't have any sound advantages over orchestral. Everything you can do in midi, you can do in higher quality with regular music. Sure, the midi was probably the best I'd ever heard, but that still doesn't mean it compares to orchestral soundtracks (or rather, non-midi soundtracks). :P

-TP was more barren. There wasn't little to find or do in the overworlds, and there were sprawling empty areas with literally nothing in them. At least WW had treasure and SS had lots of islands or those treasure blocks on the ground. :P

-I haven't played Majora's Mask, so I couldn't respond to it.

-I don't think they were trying to make a super serious game. They were trying to make a Zelda game with a slightly darker tone, but keep the Zelda charm

-It depends on what you mean by orchestral. If you mean strictly orchestral instruments, then no. That limits the type of music you can have. If you say that you can add an electronic synth sound and other unconventional instruments, then yes, you can have the same variety.

-TP was filled with hidden grottoes and mini-dungeons all over the world, then you had chests and collectables scattered about. Just like WW had some islands with something involved, and others had chests and collectables.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy