Can you boot up a brand new Wii U system using a wii mote?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can you boot up a brand new Wii U system using a wii mote?
2 years ago#1
My friend might buy my wii u console for dirt cheap but it's the console only. I know the gamepad can be pricey, but do you have to have one just to start it up? Can you use a wii mote?
2 years ago#2
You need the gamepad. Tell your friend to stop being a cheapo, or don't buy it at all, its obvious he can't afford it.
3DS friend code: 1848-2159-5405 (Richie)
2 years ago#3
okay thanks for the answer, although he doesn't actually know that
2 years ago#4
You HAVE to have a gamepad for the initial setup, there is no way around it. And besides, if it's your Wii U, do you not remember setting it up?
2 years ago#5
You might have to do the initial setup for him. After that he shouldn't need it (unless a game specifically requires it.) It used to be that you couldn't even access the eshop without the gamepad, but thankfully Nintendo fixed that in a recent update. Keep in mind once you delete your account and games and data, you probably won't be able to get it back.
"You never know what's going to happen in this world. I'll just keep my mouth shut. That's a good idea." -Masahiro Sakurai
2 years ago#6
Why not include the gamepad?
Goo goo g'joob.
2 years ago#7
DeathSoul2000 posted...
You HAVE to have a gamepad for the initial setup, there is no way around it. And besides, if it's your Wii U, do you not remember setting it up?

i dont remember setting up my wii u (two days before launch day in the uk) but even i knew you'd need the controller the system came with :/
NNID: TallPerson
2 years ago#8
I don't actually have the gamepad, just the console nothing else, that's why I'm wondering. I have not used it in a while, and he wants to make sure it works. I know the setup requires the gamepad, but could he turn it on and hook it up to television just to be sure something comes up?
2 years ago#9
@TheSlayer1305 Why do you not have the gamepad but have the console?
NNID: MegaManPrime
"Of course. how selfish of me. Let's do all the things that you wanna do."
2 years ago#10
Trevor_Belmont posted...
@TheSlayer1305 Why do you not have the gamepad but have the console?
CP: NBA 2K14 (PS3), Pokemon X, Shovel Knight (Wii U)
Last Finished: Uncharted Dual Pack: 9/10 Last Album listened to: Dizzy Wright: State of Mind EP 7/10
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can you boot up a brand new Wii U system using a wii mote?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived