Why don't people like Twilight Princess?

#1ThunderSealPosted 8/3/2014 1:03:03 PM
Why don't people like? Everything about it is amazing.
---
Free Palestine! End Israeli oppression!
#2ToozinPosted 8/3/2014 1:05:23 PM
Why don't people like pistachio ice cream? Everything about it is amazing.
---
http://www.gamelogs.org/gamelog/Toozin.html
#3AdamOusleyPosted 8/3/2014 2:59:25 PM
The most common reasons I here are it's to easy, boring characters (besides Midna), wolf link sucks, tears of light suck, bland overworld, lack of item use outside of dungeons, and horrible pacing. I think it's a fun game, but it's not my favorite.
---
Video Game Piano Music
https://www.youtube.com/user/aousley92
#4megamachopopPosted 8/3/2014 3:09:55 PM
AdamOusley posted...
The most common reasons I here are it's to easy, boring characters (besides Midna), wolf link sucks, tears of light suck, bland overworld, lack of item use outside of dungeons, and horrible pacing. I think it's a fun game, but it's not my favorite.

Personally I think a lot of that isn't true, and I really enjoy the game. The dungeons are great, there's quite a few of them, Wolf Link is pretty fun to use, the items, while not super useful outside of dungeons like you said, are creative and fun when you do get to use them, and traversing Hyrule looking for all the treasures and rewards is fun for me.
#5DrumguyPosted 8/3/2014 3:11:31 PM
I always thought people disliked SS more than they did TP.
---
The next person that replies to me with, "I know, right?" to me will be answered with, "No, you're wrong."
#6dankeyspaanPosted 8/3/2014 3:17:59 PM
Tp is the worst 3d zelda and that makes it the worst zelda.
#7SuigintouEVPosted 8/3/2014 3:35:36 PM(edited)
First of all, let me open my post by saying that I do like Twilight Princess. It's a game I would give a 7.5/10 or maybe even a 7.8 - I don't even think it's necessarily a boring game.

But, by Zelda standards, that means it's pretty much one of the worst Zelda games ever.

What are the issues I had with Twilight Princess?

Let's start with the most obvious one: I never at any point felt any tension in the entirety of the game. Zelda games thrive upon that tension - your ability to solve a puzzle, your ability to make it past a difficult stretch of traps and platforming, your ability to tackle a tough opponent. It's simply nowhere to be found in the 45+ hours of Twilight Princess. The puzzles take all of a moment to figure out, and there isn't really any instances of frustration with anything else. The Zelda series' strength has always to me been in its ability to frustrate the player for just the right period of time, and then a solution would somehow just appear at just the right moment and give a thrilling sensation. I didn't feel that was there in all of TP.

Second, a lot of the areas and characters were dissapointing. The City in the Sky was a rehash of the Palace of Winds from Minish Cap, which came out only a couple years before TP. The Gerudo Desert had no Gerudo. Hyrule Field took forever to traverse even with warping.

Zelda herself may as well not even have been in the game, even though her two previous 3D Iterations - Shiek and Tetra were very intruiging characters.

Next, the music in the game is absolutely bland. It possibly has the only bad Zelda soundtrack since Link to the Past.

Also, even though there were a few dungeons that were solidly designed (Arbiter's Grounds, Goron Mines, Snowpeak Ruins, City in the Sky, I also thought some of the other dungeons are some of the most dull in the series (Lakebed Temple, Temple of Time, Forest Temple, Twilight Palace) and mostly consist of walking forward. The absolute worst extreme among those is the Temple of Time, which may as well be a hallway with the way it's laid out - it is probably the worst dungeon in the Zelda series.

Next you get to the items. Most of them aren just useless outside of their dungeon. You could probably have made TP a non-linear game with all eight dungeons out of order and gotten away with it, because the variety in things-to-do is so lacking in this game.

Finally, you have the combat. It sucked even by 3D Zelda standards. Threatening-looking Enemies will hit you with their giant mace in order to...
shave off a quarter of a heart.
Like... "what?"
I think the fight with Argorok at the end of the City in the Sky is the greatest set piece in the entire Zelda series. But guess what. It's a terrible boss fight. You simply can not lose. Which brings us way back to my comment at the beginning - the lack of tension. The set piece "fight" with Argorok really just defines the entirety of the game - a feel of soullessness. A game that looks like Zelda and on first glance plays like Zelda, but really feels more like a going-through-the-motions of a Zelda rather than the awe-inspiring experience of a Zelda. And no, it's not because of Nostalgia. It couldn't be, because I played Skyward Sword and it was everything Twilight Princess should have been.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#8ThunderSeal(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 3:22:07 PM
AdamOusley posted...

I liked most of the characters, wolf link was really fun to play as, and it has awesome items, Do you not remember bomb arrows and ball and chain? Sure it was easy, but aren't all modern Nintendo games?
---
Free Palestine! End Israeli oppression!
#9SuigintouEVPosted 8/3/2014 3:29:37 PM(edited)
Sure it was easy, but aren't all modern Nintendo games?

My little cousin played through TP last year and I watched most of his playthrough. He didn't struggle with a thing except for the Ice Block puzzle in Snowfield Ruins.

I got him started on SS last month (hero mode, for that matter, something TP doesn't have) and he spent more time in the Skyview Temple - the first dungeon of the game - than any dungeon in all of TP. Even something as basic as beating a skulltulla took him like half an hour to figure out. The eye-spinning puzzle stumped him. The miniboss thrilled him. He had a blast with trying different methods against the boss.

He commented, without me saying anything, how this one dungeon had him stumped more times than all 50 hours of TP. My eyes lit up because that's exactly what I was thinking.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#10dankeyspaanPosted 8/3/2014 3:28:27 PM
ThunderSeal posted...
AdamOusley posted...

I liked most of the characters, wolf link was really fun to play as, and it has awesome items, Do you not remember bomb arrows and ball and chain? Sure it was easy, but aren't all modern Nintendo games?

Really? Nintendo makes some of the hardest games around. There goes your credibility.