How's Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess to the newbie?

#1ESBLivePosted 8/3/2014 6:41:49 PM
Just bought a Wii U two weeks ago, so now I'm looking for Wii games to play too.

I'm just getting into the Zelda series (just finished A Link Between Worlds, currently playing WWHD), so I checked those available for the Wii. I saw these two, but the reactions are mixed - they're in the extremes. On one hand, they're praised to the high heavens, on the other, they're criticized to hell.

What do you think of these two games? Will the Zelda newbie enjoy 'em? One other old Zelda game I plan to play is Ocarina of Time, the release on the 3DS. Other than that, nothing else. Just waiting for Zelda U.
#2IlikeBacon16Posted 8/3/2014 6:43:28 PM
Twilight Princess was my first Zelda game. I absolutely loved it. Skyward Sword is my favorite I think. I absolutely love the controls in that.
#3burningxbridgesPosted 8/3/2014 6:44:03 PM
There are tons of Zelda games on the eshop/Wii shop I'd play first, but they're both pretty good games. Or you can play them first, so that way when you go back to the older games you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good they are.
#4GodRebornPosted 8/3/2014 6:54:45 PM
they're both great games. they're pretty much what u'd expect from the zelda series. though, I thought skyward sword was better. plus, it has that popular water dungeon which, from what I can recall when the game came out, was considered one of the best dungeons in the entire franchise.
#5toadiemanPosted 8/3/2014 6:56:41 PM
I hope you like motion controls.
---
I can't wait to bomb some dodongos
#6Wii_TruthPosted 8/3/2014 6:58:18 PM
Twilight Princess is more accessible. I'd start with that, and then move to Skyward Sword. The controls in Skyward Sword are going to take some fine-tuning to master.
---
But...but..bu...Nintendo built a new building!
#7SuperNeonManGuyPosted 8/3/2014 6:58:41 PM
if you're going to play both then play twilight princess first. they're both great games, it's just hard to go back to tpwii's controls after playing skyward sword
---
NNID: TallPerson
#8SuigintouEVPosted 8/3/2014 7:15:38 PM(edited)
ESBLive posted...
Just bought a Wii U two weeks ago, so now I'm looking for Wii games to play too.

I'm just getting into the Zelda series (just finished A Link Between Worlds, currently playing WWHD), so I checked those available for the Wii. I saw these two, but the reactions are mixed - they're in the extremes. On one hand, they're praised to the high heavens, on the other, they're criticized to hell.

What do you think of these two games? Will the Zelda newbie enjoy 'em? One other old Zelda game I plan to play is Ocarina of Time, the release on the 3DS. Other than that, nothing else. Just waiting for Zelda U.

I would recommend playing Ocarina of Time before any more Zeldas as its world building establishes a lot of what they're always talking about in TP, SS, and yes, WW.

Since you have a 3DS, that also means you have no excuse not to play Link to the Past, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Link's Awakening. I consider all four of those games to be better than ALBW, personally. The Oracles games are actually on my top 10 games of all time along with Majora's Mask while no other Zelda quite makes that list.

Since you have a Wii U, that also means you have access to The Minish Cap. It's such a short game that you have no excuse not to play it. I could beat it in a day or two. It's about on par with ALBW for me.

Anyways, TP is not that great as a Zelda game IMO. I'd say it's worth playing after you've played everything else, but not as a first option as it's kind of...meh. It's still better than the Phantom Houglass, though. That game was crap.

SS is an amazing Zelda IMO. I would not play it any time soon though. Play it last. It's the kind of game that is a love song to the series, and it's chock full of references to the rest of the series. These references always put a smile on my face. I definitely wouldn't play it before OoT, LttP, or Link's Awakening, and ideally I'd save it for last.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#9Dr Edward RoivasPosted 8/3/2014 8:52:59 PM
Despite being built on the same engine, they are very different games.

TP is more traditional Zelda. Emphasis on dungeons, big but bland overworld, basic controls, not much fetching to do between the main story. Enemies are not smart but they are aggressive.

SS is rather different. Made mainly of intimate, playground-like spaces that you have to revisit, unlocking more stuff. Emphasis on taking your time gathering stuff and experiencing the scenery and working together with characters. Dungeons are generally more cool than they are confusing. Controls that make you have to move a lot. Items have to be used throughout the whole game. Enemies are somewhat docile but more fun to battle.

I would honestly recommend TP, just because it's more of a safe bet and will probably make you better at Zelda in general.

And as for the story in SS...it's a very enthralling sort of prequel which belongs after you experience Hyrule for the first time. TP has some pretty awful, uninteresting NPCs, but there is Midna, who is awesome, and a couple other amusing friends & foes. It's a sequel to OoT but does a pretty poor job at feeling like a successor. For me, I've got to be in the mood for motion controls to keep progressing in SS, while TP is more just pick up and play it all the way through.

Try the 2D ones sometime. Skip LoZ for the NES though. I'm still very much getting obliterated by that one room in the sixth dungeon. You really just get swarmed by bad guys with little means of winning against them other than crazy dodging skills.
---
Best Impossible Crossover? "The Higura, She Holler".
#10ESBLive(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2014 9:46:38 PM
I see... Before everything then, I'll play OoT first - after I finish WW, that is, since I've already started that.

I think that I'm going to enjoy SS. Or at least, my brother will. He loves that Zelda attraction in Nintendoland. Seems similar. And I have to buy that when I find it since it's pretty rare here. I can't even find TP anymore.