Can younger kids be hardcore gamers?

#1TheMisterManGuyPosted 8/4/2014 6:06:10 PM(edited)
When people use the term "hardcore gamer" it usually means 11-34 year old males who play games. But that is false, a real hardcore gamer is just someone with a passion for gaming as a hobby, no matter what age or gender. So this begs the question, can younger 6-11 year olds be hardcore gamers to, and have a dedicated passion for games? Or must we still think all kids are stupid and will gobble up any garbage you flash on TV?
#2_DogPosted 8/4/2014 6:02:39 PM
Yes. I was one myself.
---
Congratulations to Germany for winning the 2014 FIFA World Cup
#3burningxbridgesPosted 8/4/2014 6:05:57 PM
I think classifying gamers is absurd and any child who calls themselves a "hardcore gamer" is going to grow up to be an a-hole.
#4_DogPosted 8/4/2014 6:06:26 PM
burningxbridges posted...
I think classifying gamers is absurd and any child who calls themselves a "hardcore gamer" is going to grow up to be an a-hole.

That's why I had to change.
---
Congratulations to Germany for winning the 2014 FIFA World Cup
#5Nate_DihldorffPosted 8/4/2014 6:22:11 PM
I once saw 13 year olds looking for SNES games.
#6SetecAstronomyPosted 8/4/2014 6:47:25 PM
Sure they can. In some ways, young kids can be more hardcore than adults. Since kids have very few real world obligations, they can spend all their time playing and reading about video games. Also, young kids gamers generally own fewer games than adult gamers due to financial restrictions, so the games they do own they actually 100%.

I don't think age has anything to do with how hardcore you are. I've always felt that how much time you devote to a hobby determines how hardcore you are.
#7Puckswack12Posted 8/4/2014 7:00:33 PM(edited)
If they play video games a lot, sure.
---
Yup
#8Granadico_Posted 8/4/2014 9:36:32 PM
Yes. I probably played games more while iw as younger than i do now sadly. No time ;~;
---
Call me Granny
Currently playing: Xenoblade (Wii), Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS), and slowly but sure Half-Life 2 (PC) | NNID/Steam/etc:Granadico
#9ShinChuckPosted 8/4/2014 9:43:02 PM
As people have said, sure.

There used to be a used game store nearby that offered everything from the '70s on. I would occasionally check for slightly more obscure stuff (I'm still lacking, for example, a 3DO). One day, I asked about the 3DO, and he went on a bit of a rant about how they got one in, but some ten year old came in and begged his grandmother to buy it for him, and how he wished it had went to a real collector like me.

And while flattering, my response: "I don't mind losing out to another gamer. If a ten year old knows what a 3DO is, I think he qualifies."
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#10TemoteJikuPosted 8/4/2014 9:46:34 PM
Well they can of course, but it depends on meaning of "hardcore" term.
As far as i know even...
In Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition(Now Ultra...Don't even star on this...), there is a good quantity of kids, who trying with passion become more better. They of course can't beat top players but...
When some adult player, lose to a kid, the crowd was like:BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
So much disrespect these days...