Can younger kids be hardcore gamers?

#11y000012500Posted 8/4/2014 11:07:26 PM
Hardcore just seems to be a word that was added because of casual gamers then. Someone with a passion for games should just be called a gamer. People who play on occasion should just be called casuals.

So can six year olds be gamers? Sure, I was.
Hardcore gamer? I think that implies some amount of great skill, or great something. Great amount of time spent in games, great amount of games in your collection. Or some kind of mix of all of that. Or it just takes up a great percent of your life.

So I mean, I guess it's possible. Though it'd be hard to respect a kid that age calling himself a hardcore gamer as one. Like they'd have to be able to hold their own against adults who call themselves that.

I mean, when I was 12 I played a ton of games, but when I tried to talk to one of my much older cousins about games he pretty much just brushed me off. And honestly, I'd probably do the same thing. As much as a 12 year old might've played games, they don't have nearly the experience of an 17-30 year old.
#12metalXgearPosted 8/4/2014 11:31:09 PM
They can be but they wouldn't be as advanced at it as some one older which is expected, for example take your self when you were under, now you're a lot better at said games you played when you were under 10.
---
Wii Console: 0917 6760 4711 4172
SSBB: 1289 7876 7544
#13king_maddenPosted 8/4/2014 11:34:18 PM
burningxbridges posted...
I think classifying gamers is absurd and any child who calls themselves a "hardcore gamer" is going to grow up to be an a-hole.
#14HeracylostPosted 8/4/2014 11:41:35 PM
A hardcore gamer enjoys all systems most genres of games. Age don't matter.

Fanboys of any one console, FPS dudebros, PC elitists I don't consider hardcore gamers.
#15CyricsServantPosted 8/5/2014 3:38:19 AM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
When people use the term "hardcore gamer" it usually means 11-34 year old males who play games.

Disagree.

And the answer is yes, assuming they play enough.
#16NathanmgPosted 8/5/2014 3:53:38 AM
Heracylost posted...
A hardcore gamer enjoys all systems most genres of games. Age don't matter.

Fanboys of any one console, FPS dudebros, PC elitists I don't consider hardcore gamers.

This, otherwise they're just a "hardcore X fan/player".

I've never seen an age qualifier in relation to "hardcore" at any rate.
#17king_maddenPosted 8/5/2014 8:13:56 AM
So not only do we have "hardcore" gamers, we have different types of hardcore gamers? Oh and dudebro gamers too lmao.

Being here really makes you realize why gamers are viewed the way they are in society.
#18JobocanPosted 8/5/2014 8:20:15 AM
"Hardcore gamers"

*laughs*
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My collection
#19SSJ4CHRISPosted 8/5/2014 8:23:25 AM
I was. My main hobby was and is gaming, and that's what I consider "hardcore". Liking a certain genre is not hardcore, liking a certain company is not hardcore. Liking gaming as a medium is hardcore. Kids can be hardcore gamers.
---
The Internet allows us to make more mistakes faster than any invention in history. With the possible exceptions of Handguns and Tequila!
#20nonexistingheroPosted 8/5/2014 8:40:30 AM(edited)
I don't think kids can be really conscious of it. They play games, but they don't care and it's generally not an essential part of their life, even if they play a lot.

SSJ4CHRIS posted...
I was. My main hobby was and is gaming, and that's what I consider "hardcore". Liking a certain genre is not hardcore, liking a certain company is not hardcore. Liking gaming as a medium is hardcore. Kids can be hardcore gamers.

What you're saying makes no sense. According to your definition almost everyone these days is a hardcore gamer. It's about dedication. If games have an important role in someone's life they are hardcore. If it's not that important and something that can be replaced, it's casual. Not saying one is better than the other, but hardcore implies 'dedication' by definition.

Keep in mind I'm not saying one is better than the other. Granted, hardcore gamers are 'generally' more skilled gamers (since they usually play more and have more experience), but ultimately it's just a preference for a certain lifestyle. Casuals consider other things in their life that aren't gaming important. Hardcore gamers put importance on gaming and dedicate part in of their life to it.

Difference between them is that casuals enjoy anything fun and gaming just happens to be something fun to them, but it's something that can be replaced, as long as it's fun. For a hardcore gamer, 'gaming' is what makes it fun. There can be other fun things as well, of course... but gaming has a special place, a special kind of fun they can't get from anything else.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.