Has there ever been a "game over" sequence that scared you as a child?

#1ZebuFrenzyPosted 8/5/2014 3:31:48 AM
For me, there were two:

• Duck Hunt—I know it's nothing special, but I was only four or five at the time, so hearing the little "game over" tune was scary. It was only four notes, but that's all it took to scare the pre-kindergardener that I once was.

• Friday the 13th—much more understandable. For starters, it's based off of a horror film, and second, the game is scary, eapecially when I was a little kid. Your game over screen could read, "You and your friends are dead. Game over." Or, "Jason wiped out the kids. Game over." Regardless of which way you lost, both screens were black and silent; no music, no sound but that of the words typing themselves for you to read.
#2Oni_TaedoPosted 8/5/2014 3:40:13 AM
No, can't say I ever had a game over screen scare me as a kid.

I know I've had moments in games that scared me. I found the Spooky chapter of Conker to be really scary, but I was really afraid of zombies as a child. To the point where I wouldn't watch The Simpsons after seeing the one Halloween special where the couch gag involved the family coming out as zombies.

But no, never got scared by a game over screen.

I like that you bring up Friday the 13th, just as I'm browsing it's Wikipedia page...
---
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVGViking
#3_s_e_r_Posted 8/5/2014 4:09:49 AM
Mortal Kombat 4
That falling scene was scary when I was a kid.
---
NNID: s_e_r_O
Two up, two down, left, right, left, right, B, A...
#4ZerothmaPosted 8/5/2014 4:18:24 AM
Startropics.

It scared me a little bit.
---
3DS FC: 3909 - 7680 - 8446
"A delayed game is eventually good, while a bad game is bad forever."-Shigeru Miyamoto
#5CalistoCoonPosted 8/5/2014 4:23:10 AM
Only Legend of Zelda II.
---
GT:Emotional Hobo
PSN:EmoHobocore
#6SpawnShadowPosted 8/5/2014 5:05:15 AM
Super Smash Bros. on N64's game over screen was creepy as hell to me as a kid.
---
"Mjolnir: apply directly to the forehead."
#7Nintendo1989Posted 8/5/2014 6:01:54 AM
F Zero snes explosion sound used to scare me.
---
Proud Wii U and Xbox One Owner.
#8HeroC114Posted 8/5/2014 6:49:11 AM(edited)
Game Over in Banjo Kazooie.
---
Xbox Live GT: Hero C
NNID: HeroC114
#9CaiusIcePosted 8/5/2014 6:06:22 AM
Cadillacs and Dinosaur

Castlevania Sotn

RE Series
#10sparkingconduitPosted 8/5/2014 6:08:00 AM
Sonic CD.

The American version is just ridiculous. It's like Eggman is laughing at all of your life's failures as he prepares to mop the floor with your bloody carcass. The Japanese version isn't nearly as disturbing, but that downtuned chorus of "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior" is still a little creepy.

I guess having your head ripped off by a hunter in REmake is also pretty scary for a 12 year old.