What do you think Sheik's gender is?

#111Phrase-of-EvePosted 8/5/2014 9:19:56 PM
ZebuFrenzy posted...
Sheik is a male—Zelda's alter ego. All the better for an escape from Ganondorf. I think it even states that Sheik is a male in the "trophies" section of either Melée or Brawl.


Actually, it's the opposite; Sheik is referred to as female in those trophies.

Take a look.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSBB_trophies_(The_Legend_of_Zelda_series)
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSBM_trophies_(The_Legend_of_Zelda_series)
---
The worst foe lies within the self.
The official Mitochondria Eve on every board ever.
#112kingrat2314Posted 8/5/2014 9:20:15 PM
Sheik is female, everybody who says otherwise is wrong. This isn't a gender issue. When Zelda is Sheik, it isn't a gender crisis. She doesn't identify as male. She isn't transsexual. If she dressed up as a Kokiri to hide from Ganandorf's forces, that wouldn't make her a Kokiri. It has nothing to do with gender. There is no reason for you ridiculous people to defend her honor.
---
Hannibal is a bad show.
#113BurgerTime79Posted 8/5/2014 9:27:09 PM
Don't lump the people arguing gender crisis with the people saying Sheik is male.
Sheik, the character that Zelda is dresses up as to hide, is male. We know Zelda is female, and she isn't going through some sort of changes. Just like Mario is male, even if someone who's female is dressed up as him.
---
Classic Gaming Expo _ Sept 12-14 Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas
#114Kageblade23Posted 8/5/2014 9:33:43 PM
BurgerTime79 posted...
Don't lump the people arguing gender crisis with the people saying Sheik is male.
Sheik, the character that Zelda is dresses up as to hide, is male. We know Zelda is female, and she isn't going through some sort of changes. Just like Mario is male, even if someone who's female is dressed up as him.


pretty much this and i explained it a little further one page back with an analogy referring to drag queens or males who dress up as females...

when they put on the make up and the dresses they are def. trying to impersonate a female persona hence they refer to themselves as female

when out of costume though having long hair and girlish features... they are still male with wangs and the like...im sure some of them would still like to be called females but ultimately they are still males...unless they went thru surgery in which case they would identify as female indefinitely
---
3DSFC:1521-2934-6738, PSN(PS3/Vita):KagE_BLadE23, GT(360):KaGEBlade23
#11540DribylfPosted 8/5/2014 9:51:17 PM
Kageblade23 posted...
40Dribylf posted...
At least phoxxent provided evidence, thank you for that.


as did i...only 10 mins after my original post...take a look it says so in the zeldapedia... it was part of the OoT story did you not play OoT? sheik was a big part of that story and commonly referred to himself as a boy or man

if youd like to go even further...

Since the release of Ocarina of Time, many arguments have been raised regarding Sheik's true gender. As revealed in the ending of the game, Sheik is actually Zelda in disguise and not a separate character. Fans debate what methods were used by Zelda to make herself appear more masculine; whether it was a literal transformation or a disguise. Zelda's masculinity as Sheik may merely be the product of clothing (breast bindings, shoulder-pads) and not any literal magical transformation. Official art of Sheik shows tape around his/her chest, implying this could be a binding. However, shoulder pads would restrict mobility and breast binding does not explain every physical difference, such as the difference in the shoulder-to-hip ratio and muscled arms shown in the official art.

also from sheiks zeldapedia page...


1) Using Zeldapedia is like using Wikipedia. It's cool as a quick reference, but where are your legitimate sources? Zeldapedia is not a legitimate source, only a place where anyone can write anything while only placing a source here and there.

So unless you give me something officially stated by someone working at Nintendo, you just wasted your time. You didn't prove anything. Meanwhile, Polygon has an official statement from Nintendo saying Shiek is a woman.

2) No, Shiek has never. Ever. Referred to their gender explicitly in English version of Ocarina of Time. Never. I know that game like the back of my hand, and I will quote every single line said by Shiek in that game.

Now, your argument would hold weight if you refer to other versions of the game where Shiek would use masculine pronouns, but even THAT holds no water. If you watch Japanese shows with female samurai/ninja, you would see they commonly refer themselves as masculine.

Come on, dude.
---
Rest in peace, DJ Rashad
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#116HayashiTakaraPosted 8/6/2014 3:35:41 AM
I know some of you wants this, but Zelda isn't gender confused, she doesn't feel like a dude stuck in a chicks body and therefore tries to act and dress like one to reflect what she feels inside. I'm sure if she's a real person she'll be crying right now, seeing a handful of people calling her a guy.
#117aliashubbatchPosted 8/6/2014 4:29:02 AM
In spite of the people clamoring "Sheik is female!", their hidden beliefs suggest otherwise.
At the time of this post, the polls results still looks like an appendage of some sort that bears resemblance to male human genitalia.
Makes sense considering that the character in question would show up, talk a bit, flash their nuts and leave.
---
Salty about the idea of Chorus Men in Smash; Enough to recreate the Dead Sea.
If confirmed, I'll become the world's leading supplier of salt.
#118phoxxentPosted 8/6/2014 5:21:42 AM
40Dribylf posted
Now, your argument would hold weight if you refer to other versions of the game where Shiek would use masculine pronouns, but even THAT holds no water. If you watch Japanese shows with female samurai/ninja, you would see they commonly refer themselves as masculine.


Shut up. Now. You basically just said "Oh, hey, that evidence you have, you're not allowed to use it because there are warrior ladies in my animoos that speak like boys to sound tough". You are using the minority to invalidate the assumption of majority. It's like if on friday the weather man says there is a 70% chance of rain on saturday, it rains on saturday. Sunday comes and you say that there was a 30% chance it didn't rain. It's stupid. The creators had an idea in mind when they wrote that script, every word was done with a purpose. And if the use of masculine pronouns and being referred to as a man by others isn't good proof that shiek is a dude, I don't know what is. No one is saying that Zelda is a man. No one is saying that Zelda dressing like a man makes her a man. What we are saying is that dressing like a man doesn't make her a man, but her being a woman doesn't make what she dressed up as a woman.
#119PigfartsPosted 8/6/2014 5:38:07 AM
I noticed a lot of people have no clue what gender means.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#120TheFallenPriestPosted 8/6/2014 6:12:57 AM
Kageblade23 posted...
BurgerTime79 posted...
Don't lump the people arguing gender crisis with the people saying Sheik is male.
Sheik, the character that Zelda is dresses up as to hide, is male. We know Zelda is female, and she isn't going through some sort of changes. Just like Mario is male, even if someone who's female is dressed up as him.


pretty much this and i explained it a little further one page back with an analogy referring to drag queens or males who dress up as females...

when they put on the make up and the dresses they are def. trying to impersonate a female persona hence they refer to themselves as female

when out of costume though having long hair and girlish features... they are still male with wangs and the like...im sure some of them would still like to be called females but ultimately they are still males...unless they went thru surgery in which case they would identify as female indefinitely


Trying to trick others into thinking you're male/female is not the same as identifying a certain disguise as male/female. Sure Zelda is trying to convince others that she is a he dressed as shiek, but she's not trying to identify as it. This isnt a gender identity issue so people need to stop making it one.

Zelda is shiek. Shiek is pretending to be male. Shiek doesn't consider herself male. She considers herself female thing to trick others into thinking she's a male. That doesn't make her gender male. That makes her a survivor.


If you were in a town where everyone in town That's a guy is shot on site, and you're a guy, would you dress as a girl if you had to pass through that town? If you answered Yes, would that mean that whole in that town you are a girl? No you would still be guy, you would still identify as a guy, you just know that if others knew you were a guy then you would die. An external disguise is not the same as an internal one.
---
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BluePriest-1587/hero/3203281