got a wiiu hoping to play with my kids but they r more interested in ipad games

#1ikiroPosted 8/5/2014 4:46:40 PM
So just a bit of background first. I grew up in the 16-bit generation and have great childhood memories of sonic and mario games as well as the other games of that generation. I went on to ps2. then went crazy last gen buying all three consoles. This gen I bought a ps4 and was contemplating whether or not i should get a wii u.

Now that my daughter is 4 years old and my son is 2 i was thinking we could play some new super mario together. So ok thats how i justified my purchase, bought a wii u, new super mario brothers, mario kart 8, Donkey kong country tropical freeze amongst other games.

My daughter was semi interested in mario kart 8 because of all the princesses. no interest in new super mario brothers because you cant play as the princess. Tried mario 3d world... no interest. too difficult i suppose.

OK then i was thinking maybe video games and girls of that age dont mix. so i tried with my nephews who range between 6 and 13. they tried it for a bit but found the games to be too difficult or just not interesting.

but all of these kids, love ipad games. angry birds and what other games they get on those devices.

So what the heck is going on? kids these days cant take any challenging games. all they want is quick action and reward mini games.

Well i was a bit dissapointed but hey no big deal right. They are chasing each other playing tag outside the house more than i did as a kid so i guess thats good.

It did get me thinking though. Nintendo's focus it seems for the past 2 generations was in family oriented games where kids and adults can enjoy together but it seems that its mostly us 30 year old kids that are playing their games and not the new generation.

But at the same time most of the old generation are gravitating towards sony and microsoft for the shooters and online gaming leaving nintendo with a tiny market share of nostalgic adults.
#2burningxbridgesPosted 8/5/2014 4:54:56 PM
ikiro posted...
all they want is quick action and reward mini games.

Bingo. Luckily there's a decent amount of those on the Wii U. Check out "Wii Party U", and "Game and Wario".

I think it takes a special age group to get interested in Mario games, but once they are, they want to play them all.
#3Wii_TruthPosted 8/5/2014 4:57:24 PM
tbh 2-4 is not the age to play Nintendo games. 6 is pretty much borderline entry-level. Not sure why the 13 y o found it too challenging, though. Maybe he just isn't into games beyond those that are a quick distraction.
---
But...but..bu...Nintendo built a new building!
#4Nath1343Posted 8/5/2014 4:57:53 PM
get new kids
---
My faves: Golden Sun, BioShock, inFamous, EarthBound, DKC, Xenoblade, Pokemon Y, FFXII, Mario Kart 8, Super Metroid, Uncharted 3, Last of Us, SSBB, LoZ: ALBW
#5jackorhoadsPosted 8/5/2014 4:58:49 PM
Nath1343 posted...
get new kids

This. Get one "slightly used".
---
Please Understand.
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#6SpookyryuPosted 8/5/2014 4:58:52 PM
Kirby is the right choice
#7ikiro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 5:00:27 PM
burningxbridges posted...
ikiro posted...

Bingo. Luckily there's a decent amount of those on the Wii U. Check out "Wii Party U", and "Game and Wario".

I think it takes a special age group to get interested in Mario games, but once they are, they want to play them all.

Tried those too. but i do think its the interface as well that is attracting them more to the ipad. We might hate touch controls but they love the swiping and the tapping.

I guess that is why nintendo make the gamepad controller but it cant compete with the 10 inch glass, multi touch input of the tablets. Maybe I spoilt them by letting them play with my ipad but so does everyone else and their kids.

My nephews i thought were at that age range to like mario games but they dont seem to be gravitating towards them.
#8RetrowirePosted 8/5/2014 5:01:37 PM
Nath1343 posted...
get new kids

came in here to say this. was not disappointed.

but hey, its the truth TC, kids are being psychologically conditioned like hamsters to enjoy the crap out of these easy task for rewards games.

i believe its a mental decline in generations, though i am happy to hear they play outside. good for them.
---
The most important question of our generation is,
"What has the internet made you become?"
#9random_man9119Posted 8/5/2014 5:03:08 PM
ikiro

That's how mobile games get you... Quick and easy rewards for little to no effort... Not saying they can't eventually grow bored of it and start to enjoy stuff like full console games...

They are chasing each other playing tag outside the house more than i did as a kid so i guess thats good.

There you go... Way to find the silver lining in all of this...
---
NNID:MrOddities|SteamID:Mr.Oddities
Currently playing:Skyrim,Borderlands 2,Dragon Quest IX,Moemon Emerald,Awesomenauts,Guacamelee!STCE,Shovel Knight,Fallout3
#10ikiro(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 5:04:20 PM
Nath1343 posted...
get new kids

haha i was using my kids and nephews as an example. but dont you feel that is the kids of their generation are all gravitating towards ipad games rather than the console?

Everywhere i go i see kids with ipads. or kids playing call of duty. there seems to be no middle gound. they go from angry birds to call of duty haha.