got a wiiu hoping to play with my kids but they r more interested in ipad games

#11Hirokey123Posted 8/5/2014 4:05:07 PM
Why do I feel as if I've read this exact topic before almost word for word?
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#12pillsburyboy22Posted 8/5/2014 4:06:31 PM
No. My nephews and nieces that range from age 5-12 are bigger Nintendo fans than I am. I recently played Mario Kart with them and I was getting my a** handed to me.
#13Oni_TaedoPosted 8/5/2014 10:22:48 PM
ikiro posted...
Nath1343 posted...
get new kids

haha i was using my kids and nephews as an example. but dont you feel that is the kids of their generation are all gravitating towards ipad games rather than the console?

Everywhere i go i see kids with ipads. or kids playing call of duty. there seems to be no middle gound. they go from angry birds to call of duty haha.

As Leo Da Vinci once said, "The moment a child turns to CoD, is the moment the belt comes off".

Wait... no... that doesn't sound right?
---
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheVGViking
#14bandit__74Posted 8/5/2014 10:59:42 PM
Don't let your kids play with tablets or mobiles. Really, those devices are far too fragile and expensive to entrust to a child anyway. I don't allow my kids anywhere near mine and they are 9, 8 and 4. They do enjoy 3DS/WiiU/PS3 though my 4yo has difficulty with the DS3 controller. Honestly, my kids love Wii Party U and Nintendoland. I haven't seen the phenomenon you mentioned.
#15EoinPosted 8/5/2014 11:59:09 PM(edited)
I see this fairly routinely now.

I get asked gaming questions by friends and colleagues quite often, and up until recently, the questions from parents looking to buy stuff for their kids were about which DS to buy, or what good games there were for kids on the DS.

Now I get asked about tablets and phones and Minecraft.

Many gamers are somewhat snobbish about mobile gaming. There's a general failure to realise that although touch controls are truly terrible for many traditional games, they're completely fine for many other types of game, and it's those games that are doing well.

It's not that kids only want "quick action and reward". Many of the top mobile games are slow-burners, rewarding patience and determination (or, sadly, payment, but I don't think kids in general are paying much for those games anyway, for various mostly obvious reasons). The idea that these games aren't challenging is totally incorrect - anyone who thinks Angry Birds isn't challenging hasn't played it. It has big problems as a game, but a lack of challenge isn't one of them.

Ultimately, the way many gamers are reacting to mobile gaming is somewhat similar to the way many parents reacted to console gaming back when it was just starting. It's even more like the way that many console gamers reacted to the Wii back when it began selling in large numbers. "Not real gamers", "not real games" - this is a song you've all heard before, and it's no more true this time than it was in 2006.
#16NathanmgPosted 8/6/2014 12:46:32 AM
Here's how I see it:

Gaming was originally a niche hobby, as it grew and became more commerical we started to see an increase in features designed to attract more casual/non gamers, these features have become firmly ingrained within mobile games which are generally accesible to everyone (most people have phones).

As of such traditional console gaming is becomming a little more niche again while the quick and easy market has their own arena now. Obviously the market has grown far above the definition of niche but it's an easy way to describe it.
#17nonexistingheroPosted 8/6/2014 1:10:10 AM(edited)
Retrowire posted...
Nath1343 posted...
get new kids

came in here to say this. was not disappointed.

but hey, its the truth TC, kids are being psychologically conditioned like hamsters to enjoy the crap out of these easy task for rewards games.

i believe its a mental decline in generations, though i am happy to hear they play outside. good for them.

Yeah, pretty much. You can raise kids to like challenging things (if it is in their nature), but modern society definitely works against it. And of course, if all of their friends are playing those iPad games and such, chances are they want to play the same games.

Personally, I'd try to let my kids start with Mega Drive (Genesis) and SNES era games from an early age. But I do realize that might not be possible (might not be in their nature, for example). And well, having them play around with a tablet from a very early age (younger than 1 even) seems to be beneficial for their brain development. I suppose emulation could work for games, so they can reap the benefit of both.

Although... it may not be necessary, since well... I'm just doing fine and videogames in general are good for brain development. And tablets didn't get popular until recent years and I'm doing just fine with touch-screens and whatnot and understand how to handle things like that better than most kids who have been growing up with it. Hmm... yeah, it's probably not that necessary. I could just use the tablet to have them draw or read or other tasks like that, and try to keep their early game years focused on console games that challenge them (not to make them good gamers, but to contribute to developing a mentality that enjoys being challenged and overcoming those challenges).
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#18Snow-DustPosted 8/6/2014 1:11:10 AM
Eoin posted...
I see this fairly routinely now.

I get asked gaming questions by friends and colleagues quite often, and up until recently, the questions from parents looking to buy stuff for their kids were about which DS to buy, or what good games there were for kids on the DS.

Now I get asked about tablets and phones and Minecraft.

Many gamers are somewhat snobbish about mobile gaming. There's a general failure to realise that although touch controls are truly terrible for many traditional games, they're completely fine for many other types of game, and it's those games that are doing well.

It's not that kids only want "quick action and reward". Many of the top mobile games are slow-burners, rewarding patience and determination (or, sadly, payment, but I don't think kids in general are paying much for those games anyway, for various mostly obvious reasons). The idea that these games aren't challenging is totally incorrect - anyone who thinks Angry Birds isn't challenging hasn't played it. It has big problems as a game, but a lack of challenge isn't one of them.

Ultimately, the way many gamers are reacting to mobile gaming is somewhat similar to the way many parents reacted to console gaming back when it was just starting. It's even more like the way that many console gamers reacted to the Wii back when it began selling in large numbers. "Not real gamers", "not real games" - this is a song you've all heard before, and it's no more true this time than it was in 2006.

I HATE ANGRY BIRDS. As a completionist, I thrive to get all 3-stars but even if you only use one bird, you sometime can only get 2 stars and it grinds me the wrong way. I prefer other iphone games like cut the rope. But yea, its not the controls bad, it's does this sort of game go well with the implemented controls
#19SetzeraPosted 8/6/2014 6:19:33 AM
No amount of parenting can beat the school yard and marketing when it comes to recreational activities. Yes, you can raise your kids to study hard and be smart, but when it comes to fun, kids just do whatever they want. You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

I'd just be happy to see kids playing outside, rather than gaming all day. I think over time they'll join you in gaming, or rather, you may have to join them. It may also help if you really look like you're enjoying what you're doing, cuz kids learn from that.

"Hey, dad is having an awesome time doing something, I wanna do something awesome too!"
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#20supergamerbretPosted 8/6/2014 6:30:59 AM
My nephew has a PS3 & all he plays are those crappy phone games.

Kids have no taste.
---
For your free sub to Inspire magazine please send your name & address to: Inspire Magazine, Al Qaeda, Langley, VA 23665
Coming Soon: ISIS for the hardcore