Metroid style vs Metroidvania style.

#1Burning_Arm2Posted 8/5/2014 11:56:55 PM
Seriously what is the difference?

It was to my understanding that the term Metroidvania was meant to describe the Castlevania games, like Symphony of the Night, that had a focus on exploration elements and required the player to backtrack to previous area in order to acquire new abilities and find all of the game's secrets like the Metroid series. However these days ALL games seem to be described as Metroidvania. Would a Metroidvania style game not also be Metroid style game? Am I just missing some detail? Or did Metroidvania just replace Metroid altogether somewhere down the line when I wasn't looking?
---
I have too many good games and not enough time to play them.
Warframe Clan: Blue Nova, welcoming all applicants.
#2PennywiseJimPosted 8/6/2014 12:01:58 AM
Yeah, I hate the term "Metroidvania". It should just be Metroid-style since virtually every Metroid game employs that style while only about half of the Castlevania games do. And there were already 3 Metroid games out by the time Castlevania games started using that style anyway.
#3Auction SniperPosted 8/6/2014 12:08:17 AM(edited)
PennywiseJim posted...
Yeah, I hate the term "Metroidvania"

Ditto, I mean you don't see people calling platformer games "Mario-onics".

Realistically, ithey would be classed as a multi-scrolling adventure game.
---
"Sleep is for babies, gamers play all night!" - Thomas Falsetta
#4LaKost117Posted 8/6/2014 12:31:11 AM
PennywiseJim posted...
Yeah, I hate the term "Metroidvania". It should just be Metroid-style since virtually every Metroid game employs that style while only about half of the Castlevania games do. And there were already 3 Metroid games out by the time Castlevania games started using that style anyway.

Technically it could be argued that Castlevania II was te beginning to the non-linear gameplay approach such as Metroid.
---
If all seems dire, seek a bonfire.
#5Ghost-inZeShellPosted 8/6/2014 2:54:44 AM
Metroidvania refers to the (2D) labyrinth exploration that gradually expands as you obtain more powers.
{Exploring = more powers = more exploring = more powers = more exploring}
It's a cycle, and a gameplay mechanic that Metroid and Castlevania both share.

Metroid-style is specifically referring to Metroid, and only Metroid.
What specifically they are referring to depends on context.
---
Don't rock the boat. Don't even get in the boat! Just buy some ice cream and walk around the pier. But don't go in the bathrooms; they're filthy!
#6winston28singlePosted 8/6/2014 2:57:46 AM
Only young people would use a term such as 'metroidvania'
#7Puckswack12Posted 8/6/2014 3:04:06 AM
winston28single posted...

Yea, up until pretty recently the only metroidvania games were metroid and castlevania. Thanks to this indie craze that genre is being more explored and fleshed out. Which means we need a way to describe it hence metroidvania.
---
Yup
#8Mewtwo_soulPosted 8/6/2014 3:17:12 AM
winston28single posted...

False.

Jargon and contextual languages are used by everybody even if they don't realize it.

Instead of calling that guy in a game who we call a "tank" if we didn't call him a "tank" which is jargon, we'd end up having to refer to him as big beefy guy or whatever.

It's just a simple term. I don't know why it makes people so mad, that people are just making terms easier to refer to without having to add a bunch of words when they can shorten it, and in regards to not liking the terms.

The audience or largest group in regards to a contextual language develop them. This is nothing new.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#9Ghost-inZeShellPosted 8/6/2014 3:22:27 AM
You have to set it to W for Wumbo.
---
Don't rock the boat. Don't even get in the boat! Just buy some ice cream and walk around the pier. But don't go in the bathrooms; they're filthy!
#10KaiserWarriorPosted 8/6/2014 6:04:28 AM
Metroidvania implies the Castlevania flavorings that were bolted onto the Metroid formula. Specifically, RPG-lite mechanics such as stats and leveling up, and likely some element of grinding enemies whether that be for the purpose of leveling up, or acquiring rare item drops or whatever.

Metroid style is the format of labyrinth exploration with gradually-expanding capabilities without the fluff and filler on top. Metroid doesn't have nor need RPG mechanics, and doesn't involve grinding unless you've been wasteful and need to farm up some health/ammo.