Nice quote from shovel knight developers.

#1Hercik1Posted 8/6/2014 4:08:29 AM
" For all of you who had doubts that a Wii U game or a digital game on a Nintendo platform could sell, we hope these facts show that a good game on any system, marketed the right way, can sell."

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

I like that quote. For all the crap that Nintendo been getting lately about third party support it shows that if a quality product is made it will sale.
#2TrueBlue91Posted 8/6/2014 4:12:40 AM(edited)
Won't help Wii U's case because a little low-budget indie gem is not anywhere near as costly to port/develop for Wii U compared to the bigger games that are skipping the console. There was very little financial risk whatsoever.

Plus it's a platformer. So of course it did quite well on Wii U.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#3Querl_DoxPosted 8/6/2014 4:16:02 AM
The article also has some rather interesting breakdowns of the resource allocations and realities of the production. All in all, it is a rather surprisingly candid discussion which I appreciated.
#4LukeyC224Posted 8/6/2014 4:21:28 AM
It would sell even more if they released the damn game here in the UK!
---
PSN/GT: LukeyC224. 3DS FC: 0001-3497-9073
--- Dammit! WWJBD?---
#5JackalPosted 8/6/2014 4:23:30 AM
So the sold 150k and are shooting for 1 mil now? Not bad but they have a way to go. They could do it but they probably could have gotten there quicker if it was also on the other consoles.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#6Hercik1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 4:26:32 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...
Won't help Wii U's case because a little low-budget indie gem is not anywhere near as costly to port/develop for Wii U compared to the bigger games that are skipping the console. There was very little financial risk whatsoever.

If you read the article you would know it was a huge financial risk. They ran out of the kickstarter money long before the game came out and had to borrow/sell their stuff to get more. Also I believe this game sold more then some of EAs attempt at ports. So this little low budget game is more desired then the gimped ports from other publishers.

People want quality games. If they see one version has less features but cost the same they won't get it. This game shows that if effort is put into it a game can sell. If this little indie game can do good there is no excuse for the big developers on why their games can't.
#7robertwarnes91Posted 8/6/2014 4:26:42 AM
Maybe they could reach a million if they release the 3DS and Wii U in the PAL market. >:(
#8Hercik1(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 4:30:08 AM
Jackal posted...
So the sold 150k and are shooting for 1 mil now? Not bad but they have a way to go. They could do it but they probably could have gotten there quicker if it was also on the other consoles.

I'm sure they will release it for other consoles eventually. I think they are going to first finish the free update that adds all their kickstarts goals then release it on sony/xbox with the updates already on it. They never once said it will be exclusive to nintendo.
#9TrueBlue91Posted 8/6/2014 4:33:48 AM
Hercik1 posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...

If you read the article you would know it was a huge financial risk. They ran out of the kickstarter money long before the game came out and had to borrow/sell their stuff to get more. Also I believe this game sold more then some of EAs attempt at ports. So this little low budget game is more desired then the gimped ports from other publishers.

People want quality games. If they see one version has less features but cost the same they won't get it. This game shows that if effort is put into it a game can sell. If this little indie game can do good there is no excuse for the big developers on why their games can't.

The big developers often have to take a far bigger risk due to higher cost (because of more staff, more difficult playtesting required, proper optimization, etc.), and there is also far less to gain since any profit they may actually make, is much smaller in the eyes of a larger company compared to an indie studio.

I mean, if you're EA or something, and you risk losing $15 on a Wii U port but SURPRISE! You profit $1.2M, do you really care? Even if the loss isn't big either such as in this example, what's the point? There's no reason to bother. Whereas the indie studio would be delighted with that $1.2M.

3rd parties don't ignore Nintendo for fun. I don't know where this notion comes from. They're just circle jerking and conspiring?
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#10fon1988Posted 8/6/2014 4:44:33 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...

I think one major issue with today's gaming market is the cost of making these damn games. It's insane how much budget these games get and in order to make a profit, the Wii U market just wouldn't help.
---
NNID/Gamer Tag: PoisonShroom
Greatest line in a NES game ever: "Kill all babies" from Exodus.