WiiU Virutal Console GBA

#1WarLegalomonPosted 8/9/2014 9:44:47 AM
Hello WiiU board :)

I am just wondering what everyone puts their settings at when playing GBA games on the WiiU? I've noticed the options for Smooth and FullScreen / Pixel modes. I played around with those settings but I don't know what works best, or looks best, so just been using the default settings.

What do you guys use? And do you play more while looking at the GamePad or the TV?

I was playing Mega Man Battle Network and found myself mostly viewing the GamePad. Same with Minish Cap.

I also have SNES A Link to the Past but I find the game really heavily pixelated and unclear on both the TV and GamePad. Shame, as I really did enjoy the game back in the SNES days (I still own the cartridge).

Thanx for reading!
---
Currently Playing: Mario Kart 8, Minish Cap, Pokemon Rumble U, NSMBU, Pokemon X/Y, Diablo 3: RoS, HearthStone, Grinsia, Bravely Default, FE: Awakening.
#2sketchturnerPosted 8/9/2014 9:56:18 AM
I don't like smoothing. I prefer to see the pixel art as was intended.

I don't bother with original resolution because I find that the upscale to full screen doesn't have a noticeable negative impact on the quality of the image, at least not on my TV.
---
Now Playing:Legend of Zelda, Bit.Trip.Runner 2, Shovel Knight, Super Mario 3D World
#3Nerreltron9000Posted 8/9/2014 9:57:16 AM
Fullscreen scales to game to fill your display, which requires scaling by a fractional ratio. Pixel perfect mode only scales up to the nearest whole integer, which provides better image quality but won't fill your screen up completely.

Here's an example of the difference between fractional and integer scaling. Notice how much sharper integer scaling looks:
Fractional: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/14538278894_8fb1a8f2ae_o.jpg
Integer: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2921/14353165769_52109d3a62_o.jpg

The smoothing mode is a filter that attempts to blur pixels together in order to reduce their appearance. Honestly, it can look better or worse depending on the game; some titles look best without it, some look better with it.
#4Venom3DPosted 8/9/2014 10:01:35 AM
I set the pixel mode to 1:1 and leave smoothing off.
#5DarthLaharlPosted 8/9/2014 10:12:16 AM
I play my Wii U games on the game pad screen 100% of the time.

MK8, WWHD, Virtual console games, etc. I don't play any of those games on TV at all.
---
LFT: Destiny, Splatoon, Dragon Age 3, Yoshi WW, Omega Sapphire, SSB WiiU, Alien Isolation, MKX, Talesof Xillia 2/Zesteria, and Persona 5.
PSN/NNID-Unretributed
#6Frozenx07Posted 8/9/2014 11:03:23 AM
Smoothing actually looks good on Yoshi's Island, but not on Metroid Fusion. For the most part, I'd say leave smoothing off and choose pixel perfect.
#7burningxbridgesPosted 8/9/2014 11:40:27 AM
I had no clue either of these were options. Pretty interesting. Using the smooth on battle network is pretty odd, almost gives the over world a clay like appearance. Near.
#8WarLegalomon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:46:02 PM
Clay-like appearance in Battle Network! YES that's how it looks exactly.
I only stumbled across the options when I accidently hit the lower R button. haha

@Nerreltron9000
Thanx for the info. :) Ah, so Smoothing is more like blurring the pixels into a smoother blurry picture. Gotcha. I will most likely just stick to the default options, esp for Battle Network but will take a peek at the settings whenever I dload future GBA games. :)
---
Currently Playing: Mario Kart 8, Minish Cap, Pokemon Rumble U, NSMBU, Pokemon X/Y, Diablo 3: RoS, HearthStone, Grinsia, Bravely Default, FE: Awakening.
#9BrianCraigSmithPosted 8/9/2014 5:37:24 PM
I play GBA games on the GamePad so I don't change anything.
---
PSN: Handsomistic1
NNID: Handsomistic15
#10ShinChuckPosted 8/9/2014 6:09:31 PM
sketchturner posted...
I don't like smoothing. I prefer to see the pixel art as was intended.

It was more of a limitation, rather than an intent. Pixel art, prior to recent times, typically wasn't intended, it was simply art done within the restrictions imposed by the technology.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.