I wished nintendo games would be more mature

#31nonexistingheroPosted 8/16/2014 12:12:29 AM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
IcyWind14 posted...
Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are actually appropriate for preteens in Japan as they're rated B by the CERO, which is for ages 12 and up.

And here they're rated T, which is 13 and up. B and T are basically counterparts as far as ratings go, unless you want to argue that the one year really makes a difference.

You know what else got a B rating? Kid Icarus: Uprising. Persona 4 got a B in japan, but was rated M in the US. And Smash Bros. while rated T here, is rated A in Japan. And to be more correct, CERO C is closer to the Teen rating than CERO B as most C rated games are at least a high T here, unlike B, where its a light T at most usually. And CERO B is a kid-friendly rating in Japan since Nintendo requires only C rated or higher games to be in black cases. My point is, Nintendo makes sure almost all its games are appropriate for kids 14 and under.

And 'teen' also has different definitions in certain areas as well. In my country 'teens' are aged from 10 to 19 and are referred to as 'tieners', for example. And 'tien' is the Dutch word for 'ten'. Japan also seems to have several ways to adress kids/teens in certain age ranges.

So basically, the American definition of 'teen' isn't necessarily one that is used worldwide, because they have their own definitions.

I think only a few people in my country actually know that there's a difference between the American/English definition of 'teens' and the Dutch definition of 'tieners'.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#32IcyWind14Posted 8/16/2014 1:06:47 AM
You know what else got a B rating? Kid Icarus: Uprising. Persona 4 got a B in japan, but was rated M in the US. And Smash Bros. while rated T here, is rated A in Japan.

I'm not saying that a B will always be a T or anything like that, just that they cover the same general age group. Obviously what people consider appropiate for those age groups will vary bewtween cultures. You tried to make it seem like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade were intended for a younger audience then their ratings suggested even though the CERO and ESRB ratings for them cover roughly the same age group.

And to be more correct, CERO C is closer to the Teen rating than CERO B as most C rated games are at least a high T here, unlike B, where its a light T at most usually.

13 is closer to 12 then to 15

nonexistinghero posted...
So basically, the American definition of 'teen' isn't necessarily one that is used worldwide, because they have their own definitions.

Completely true, however, the ESRB rating of Teen isn't some ambiguous term with room for interpretation. It specifically means 13+, just like the other ESRB ratings have specific ages and CERO ratings do too. PEGI just puts the age down. >_>
---
Not changing this sig until Capcom starts giving a damn about Mega Man again.
#33nonexistingheroPosted 8/16/2014 1:48:45 AM(edited)
I know, just saying that the equivalent of a T rating in other countries doesn't necessarily mean it's aimed at a different age group. There's not that much difference between 12 & 13 year olds in terms of demographic. The Japanese Cero B rating is pretty much the equivalent of the American T-rating, even if they're not exactly the same. PEGI for Europe uses 12+ for roughly the same group as well.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#34marvelknight54Posted 8/16/2014 1:58:11 AM
Where the heck did the moronic TC go off to? I haven't had this much fun reading some bulls*** in a while now.
---
R.I.P. Damian Wayne,Cassandra Cain,Donna Troy,Richard Rider,Oracle,Helena Bertinelli,Renee Montoya,Wally West,Billy Batson,Tim Drake and Bart Allen.
#35MAZZIVEdamagePosted 8/16/2014 2:12:58 AM
I think this is a common opinion from people that doesn't really like Nintendo and for some reason must have Nintendo be something that they are not.. I don't know why though... Maybe it's a nostalgic childhood thing. Many grew up with NES and SNES and kind of connects games like Castlevania and whatnot with the consoles even though they were and are third-party content..

Just put a Nintendo sticker on your Xbox or Playstation and there you are..
#36Flare7Posted 8/16/2014 2:15:26 AM
Do you still wish this, or are you just reminiscing on your past?
---
Currently playing: Wind Waker HD
#37ArizonaPashaPosted 8/16/2014 2:24:08 AM
The above peoplw have done a good job on giving examples so I'd like to just say this.

Games can be aimed at kids and still be mature. By crouching things like (using Mother 3 as our example) the loss of youthful innocence, the negative effects of urbanization, and the responsibility of taking charge at a young age because of a broken family, in a bright and positive atmosphere, does that make it any less mature? I say no. Positivity and maturity can, really should in my opinion, go hand in hand.
#38RemembrentPosted 8/16/2014 4:43:49 AM
I'm not sure mature is the word I would use personally, but I do miss the challenge older NES and SNES games had. Tropic freeze was the first game in a while that offered a good challenge.
#39TheMisterManGuyPosted 8/16/2014 9:01:49 AM(edited)
IcyWind14 posted...
I'm not saying that a B will always be a T or anything like that, just that they cover the same general age group. Obviously what people consider appropiate for those age groups will vary bewtween cultures. You tried to make it seem like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade were intended for a younger audience then their ratings suggested even though the CERO and ESRB ratings for them cover roughly the same age group.

That's not what I was trying to say, what I mean is that they're rated appropriate to be appropriate for 12-14 year olds, which are still kids, tweens to be more specific. They're recommend for kids much older than 8, but aren't quite ready for Fatal Frame (Which is rated C BTW).

The ESRB doesn't have a rating that is appropriate for gamers 15 and up, so C rated games either have to get a high T rating, or get bumped up to an M rating. This is a problem because there are some Teen rated games I don't think are appropriate for 13/14 year old like inFamous. Here's what the ESRB should do IMO. Bump the regular Teen rating down a year (so now it would be 12+) and introduce a new T15+ rating of sorts. That way games too heavy for younger teens can be distinguished, but don't have to cross into M territory.