Does buying used games hurt the industry?

#161AtalalamaPosted 8/10/2014 6:45:21 PM
The industry as a whole? ____ No. Large Publishers? Hell No.

Most used game sales will occur after the first month from launch. Most Publishers have made the majority of the profits they're gonna make in that first month, then will drop the price near the 3 and/or 6 month mark to entice more sales from those who were waiting for a price drop, couldn't afford full price, or were hedging.

Next, quite often a person will buy a game as part of a continuing series used, then turn around and buy the rest new if/when they like it. These are new sales that would not have occurred without that first used sale.

Also, many people will sell their old games to afford the purchase of new games. Without that used game market, those new game sales will, by and large, not occur.

Plus, Publishers, especially larger Publishers, have used sales as part of their accounting. They expect used sales. They expect downloading. They expect physical theft. That is part of their budget.

Then we get into older used games, which are fine as they is no longer a new market and the Publisher simply cannot make any further profit.

Smaller publishers CAN be hurt if they don't get enough new sales, however, as they may not have the money to cover the budgeting for "expected loss".
---
If a game's not good enough for a physical release, then it's not good enough for me.
Official KH3 Aerith, apparently? How...?
#162wyansasPosted 8/10/2014 6:45:44 PM
Yes. No way around it.
---
3DS: 0216-0887-1344, PSN and XBL: wyansas
#163GPRailroadPosted 8/10/2014 6:47:07 PM
wyansas posted...
Yes. No way around it.
No.
---
Nickelodeon (n): An insult to TV animation; an embarrassment to mainstream cartoons since 2005.
Antonyms: Cartoon Network
#164QueskerPosted 8/10/2014 6:53:36 PM
Atalalama posted...
The industry as a whole? ____ No. Large Publishers? Hell No.

Most used game sales will occur after the first month from launch. Most Publishers have made the majority of the profits they're gonna make in that first month, then will drop the price near the 3 and/or 6 month mark to entice more sales from those who were waiting for a price drop, couldn't afford full price, or were hedging.

Next, quite often a person will buy a game as part of a continuing series used, then turn around and buy the rest new if/when they like it. These are new sales that would not have occurred without that first used sale.

Also, many people will sell their old games to afford the purchase of new games. Without that used game market, those new game sales will, by and large, not occur.

Plus, Publishers, especially larger Publishers, have used sales as part of their accounting. They expect used sales. They expect downloading. They expect physical theft. That is part of their budget.

Then we get into older used games, which are fine as they is no longer a new market and the Publisher simply cannot make any further profit.

Smaller publishers CAN be hurt if they don't get enough new sales, however, as they may not have the money to cover the budgeting for "expected loss".

I was going to type up my own response to the topic question, but basically this. My version is: As a whole, probably not, but it can really hurt smaller devs.
---
7 is good. I swear the school's 75-100 grading scale has ruined peoples perception of things.
-MillionGunmannn
#165EnmaDaio2588Posted 8/10/2014 6:57:59 PM
No and no. For f**k's sake, there used to be a time when the games industry tried doing stuff that was either for our benefit or, something that the devs genuinely wanted to do. These days the industry is trying to bend us over on a daily basis but they're making people like OP think WE'RE the bad guys.
---
I had a dream of my wife...She was dead but, it was OK...
#166justchill433Posted 8/10/2014 7:07:32 PM(edited)
PhoenixPrince posted...
I laugh whenever I see this question. Maybe it does do a bit of damage, but what makes video games so special? You have used CDs, DVDs, books, clothes, cups, plates, bowls, chairs, couches, computers, cars, clocks, you name it and you can find it used. Why do companies like EA, Capcom, and the like think they're so special they deserve to be exempt from this? What confidence would it show if they tried to prevent someone from getting rid of their game? If someone sells it, that means they:

A. Don't like it
B. Need the money, usually for another game
C. Beat it and don't feel it's worth replaying

So honestly tell me, why are game publishers so special that they can avoid being part of this?

Why are game publishers special? Because Gamestop is one of the largest corporations in America. I think they are in the top ten for most profits. Selling new video games is not profitable. 90% of their income is from used game sales. No other industry has the equivalent to Gamestop. Publishers don't care about used game sales between consumers, they do care about a third party becoming one of the richest corporations in America through taking sales from them. The entire second hand market will suffer because of Gamestop and consumers obviously don't care.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s LoL: Ikikaea
#167SetzeraPosted 8/10/2014 7:12:08 PM
I would say you are more likely hurting a developer and publisher combo, rather than the industry, when you just do it yourself.

But, when mass amounts of people do it, it must hurt the industry's feelings, because then they do things like online passes, and dlc takeovers of everything.

At one time, I would only buy used. Now I've decided to only buy new if I liked the dev / pub, and buy my used games from devs / pubs I didn't like. However, the reality is, I just barely by anything at all now, new or used.

So.. whatever, maybe you're saving us from a hostile take over by not funding the corporate overlord machines? I don't know.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#16821_21Posted 8/10/2014 7:12:48 PM
If everyone does it, yeah of course. But at the pace it's doing right now? Hell naw!
---
Playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Shovel Knight, Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Prosecutor's Path
3DS FC: 5284-1432-1297 Lemme know if you plan on adding me!
#169HeaziePosted 8/10/2014 7:30:18 PM
The answer to the topic question is no.
---
XBL: Zombie Heazie <()-------()> 3DS/Pokemon Y Friend Code: 4725 - 7948 - 6637
http://www.youtube.com/user/Heazie
#170wyansasPosted 8/10/2014 7:35:45 PM
GPRailroad posted...
wyansas posted...
Yes. No way around it.
No.

Seems like everyone here saying no is saying so for these reasons
-used sales shouldn't affect the industry because they've always been there
-the business model is effed, so it's the industry's fault used sales are such a big deal.
-games aren't any different from any other used product or media.

All of those reasons are BS and ignore the original fact that a used sale is a lost sale.
---
3DS: 0216-0887-1344, PSN and XBL: wyansas